ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Onyx vs Chamsys  (Read 405 times)

Nate Zifra

Onyx vs Chamsys
« on: January 11, 2022, 11:42:45 AM »

Thread below prompted me to start this thread.  I'm currently an Onyx user and have both M-touch and M-Play.  Most of the work I do is live busking.  I anecdotally see Chamsys starting to get a lot of love.  Has anyone used both systems?  I'm curious if migrating to Chamsys would be an upgrade of sorts, or at least be a little more easier to manage than Onyx.

Thank you.

Tommy Nikiforov

Re: Onyx vs Chamsys
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 03:19:13 PM »

Thread below prompted me to start this thread.  I'm currently an Onyx user and have both M-touch and M-Play.  Most of the work I do is live busking.  I anecdotally see Chamsys starting to get a lot of love.  Has anyone used both systems?  I'm curious if migrating to Chamsys would be an upgrade of sorts, or at least be a little more easier to manage than Onyx.

Thank you.

I used to tour onyx for a couple years and it "worked" if you did alot of the work yourself.
Spent a few days with a guy that is an alpha tester for chamsys, learned the ins and outs etc. next monday i ordered a pcwing and never looked back.

So in my opinion it absolutely is an upgrade in every possible way
I can get into the nitty gritty on why i am of this opinion if theres a need for it.

PS the software is free, 64 universes of unlocked output for free. only to get input/external control do you need hardware, but an artnet node/enttec box will give you output right away.

And just to make it clear as im a new user on here eventhough ive been a lurker for years. Im not affiliated with Chamsys or any other brand for that matter.

Nate Zifra

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 09:48:55 AM »

I used to tour onyx for a couple years and it "worked" if you did alot of the work yourself.
Spent a few days with a guy that is an alpha tester for chamsys, learned the ins and outs etc. next monday i ordered a pcwing and never looked back.

So in my opinion it absolutely is an upgrade in every possible way
I can get into the nitty gritty on why i am of this opinion if theres a need for it.

PS the software is free, 64 universes of unlocked output for free. only to get input/external control do you need hardware, but an artnet node/enttec box will give you output right away.

And just to make it clear as im a new user on here eventhough ive been a lurker for years. Im not affiliated with Chamsys or any other brand for that matter.

Thank you for the response.  I will be checking out Youtube for tutorials to get a feel for it.  The PC wing looks pretty nice for hardware.  Is it rack mountable?

Tommy Nikiforov

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 11:36:29 AM »

Thank you for the response.  I will be checking out Youtube for tutorials to get a feel for it.  The PC wing looks pretty nice for hardware.  Is it rack mountable?

Not rackmountable as its a bit wider than 19" , custom cases with wing+screen+keyboard +(small pc in the same case or rackmounted pc in separate case) is the way to go.

For excellent videos on MagicQ check out Guillaume Lalonde, Outdream Creative, Chamsysrus/Chamsys pro users on facebook.
Theres also a very active community on the discord channel.

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 01:19:40 PM »

We purchased an MQ50 so we didn't have to drag around a PC setup with the Onyx rig.

The Onyx has sat in its case for over three years now. Nobody misses it.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 07:56:15 PM »

I anecdotally see Chamsys starting to get a lot of love. 

We purchased an MQ50 so we didn't have to drag around a PC setup with the Onyx rig.

The Onyx has sat in its case for over three years now. Nobody misses it.

Nate, this pretty much sums it up.  Between the ChamSys MQ Series staying affordable along with the introduction of the Quick Q Series the brand has been getting more attention and new product owners.  Elation has done the opposite with very little growth after acquisition of M-PC along with what's left of the Martin M Series of consoles.  Software can be great in a simple situation but won't hold a candle to an actual console - even a little one so long as the right features are present.  ChamSys fits the bill for those wanting more than a laptop but aren't able to spend serious money on a Hog or MA3.

Tommy Nikiforov

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 10:45:09 AM »

Nate, this pretty much sums it up.  Between the ChamSys MQ Series staying affordable along with the introduction of the Quick Q Series the brand has been getting more attention and new product owners.  Elation has done the opposite with very little growth after acquisition of M-PC along with what's left of the Martin M Series of consoles.  Software can be great in a simple situation but won't hold a candle to an actual console - even a little one so long as the right features are present.  ChamSys fits the bill for those wanting more than a laptop but aren't able to spend serious money on a Hog or MA3.

MagicQ is pretty much at the point where its fully competing with both hog and ma. the software has seen insane improvements since 2020.
Ma3 on the other hand is still hardly usable in a show scenario

John L Nobile

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 02:59:54 PM »

Please explain that. I've had 2 excellent LD's come through my venue carrying an Ma3 and they seemed quite happy with it and blew me away with their shows.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 07:30:06 PM »

MagicQ is pretty much at the point where its fully competing with both hog and ma. the software has seen insane improvements since 2020.

Yes, please explain.  I strongly disagree with both statements.  While the MagicQ MQ Series has developed nicely over the recent years it still does not have the same level of pedigree and rider friendliness as Hog4 and MA3 (or Eos in theater).

MA3 is currently being used in countless instances with more slated for tours once they restart.  Almost every industry partner I network with has adopted MA3 without issue, so again, please explain the basis of your statements.

Tommy Nikiforov

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2022, 05:58:42 AM »

Yes, please explain.  I strongly disagree with both statements.  While the MagicQ MQ Series has developed nicely over the recent years it still does not have the same level of pedigree and rider friendliness as Hog4 and MA3 (or Eos in theater).

MA3 is currently being used in countless instances with more slated for tours once they restart.  Almost every industry partner I network with has adopted MA3 without issue, so again, please explain the basis of your statements.

well for starters , sure there are lots of ma3s out there, all running mode 2...
with group cues and group fx i'd consider magicq the fastest one to get up and running on tour , just update your output grid , then groups , tweak a few palettes and you are ready.
No macro stuff needed.

Hogs arent much of a thing where im located. MAs are a thing but not that popular. obviously YMMV , everyone doesnt live in the US.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2022, 05:58:42 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 19 queries.