Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

Venue with NEMA 10-50R side stage

<< < (5/6) > >>

Steve-White:
^^^ A second amp and both on 20A 125V power is a good solution.

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Douglas Cyr on January 10, 2022, 10:56:53 PM ---Thanks for all the great info everyone.

I plan on expanding my power distribution inventory, but to get by for this gig (assuming I can verify the powrrsoft will take two hot legs in place of a hot and a neutral) is to make an adapter from 10-50P to L6-20 but instead of connecting the ground to the neutral, clamping the ground conductor to the breaker panel chassis or exposed grounding conductor. Is this excessively sketchy/illegal or will it be safe?

--- End quote ---

Absolutely do not bond neutral and ground downstream of the "point of service".  Where you find a ground and how you connect it, I'm not offering suggestions on a public forum... ;)

Douglas Cyr:
Alright everyone,

So I talked to Powersoft support and they corroborated what some said on here: the K20 will operate fine with two hot legs across the terminals rather than a hot and a neutral, and, if the neutral is bonded to ground I can substitute the neutral of the receptacle for the grounding conductor. So I can essentially make an adapter using all three conductors of the 10-50R directly into the K20 (this isn't considering the 30 amp breaker I will need ofcourse.

Brian Jojade:

--- Quote from: Douglas Cyr on January 12, 2022, 06:01:03 PM ---Alright everyone,

So I talked to Powersoft support and they corroborated what some said on here: the K20 will operate fine with two hot legs across the terminals rather than a hot and a neutral, and, if the neutral is bonded to ground I can substitute the neutral of the receptacle for the grounding conductor. So I can essentially make an adapter using all three conductors of the 10-50R directly into the K20 (this isn't considering the 30 amp breaker I will need ofcourse.

--- End quote ---

Of course you CAN do that, but what you are doing is NOT code.  You should strongly push for the venue to install the PROPPER connector for this type of use.

Steve-White:

--- Quote from: Brian Jojade on January 12, 2022, 11:46:15 PM ---Of course you CAN do that, but what you are doing is NOT code.  You should strongly push for the venue to install the PROPER connector for this type of use.

--- End quote ---

Read and heed.

The question isn't will it work?  Yes it will work.

The question is should you do it?  The answer is a resounding no.  The liability isn't worth the risk to connect to an illegal hodge-podge setup.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version