ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: GBF: SE V7 vs Neumann KMS105  (Read 4224 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: GBF: SE V7 vs Neumann KMS105
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2022, 08:27:38 PM »

I'm a fan of the sE V7 mics (have both wired handhelds and Shure-compatible wireless capsules) but wouldn't dare compare it to a mic costing 4 or 5 times as much.

Dave

It's less about comparing apples to oranges and more about having a good sounding mic for female vox that also has good GBF performance.

I just happened to have a KMS105 and that's been the best choice for her so far. If the V7 can give me more GBF and still sound good doing it I'm all in.

The guy that had my job before me (church job) bought the Neumann and a Senn 935 and some Heil stuff. The V7 gives me one more mic to try.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2022, 04:18:21 PM »

It's less about comparing apples to oranges and more about having a good sounding mic for female vox that also has good GBF performance.

I just happened to have a KMS105 and that's been the best choice for her so far. If the V7 can give me more GBF and still sound good doing it I'm all in.

It can definitely do that. Off axis rejection of the V7 is excellent - BUT that may create issues for vocalists who can't stay on mic.

My other favorite dynamic hyper cardioid vocal mic is the Telefunken M80/M81 (at about 2.5x the cost of a V7).

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2022, 09:13:09 PM »

It can definitely do that. Off axis rejection of the V7 is excellent - BUT that may create issues for vocalists who can't stay on mic.

My other favorite dynamic hyper cardioid vocal mic is the Telefunken M80/M81 (at about 2.5x the cost of a V7).

Dave

I have SE V7 capsules on all our "you get what we give you" rigs which is a 97% of our business.  I agree I can't remember the last time I had a feedback issue but I don't work on postage stamp stages where drumsticks if a grip is lost require anal spelunking for removal from the lead singer (not in our contract).

Seriously, big stages, well tuned systems can get insanely loud even with a set of powered 12's.  The inverse square law works on mics too. 

Churches have a whole different set of feedback problems mostly from users that don't know how to use a mic. 

With all of that said the V7 is a sweet mic.  I don't know why, I can't explain it, it's a sum greater than the whole thing.  It is easy to work with.  It doesn't break the laws of physics though.

Tim Weaver , I didn't see it was you!  You have a big stage and a well tuned system.  You want me to send you a couple of capsules to play with.  If you like them you can pay for them if not just send them back.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 09:15:25 PM by Scott Holtzman »
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2022, 10:01:28 PM »

I have SE V7 capsules on all our "you get what we give you" rigs which is a 97% of our business.  I agree I can't remember the last time I had a feedback issue but I don't work on postage stamp stages where drumsticks if a grip is lost require anal spelunking for removal from the lead singer (not in our contract).

Seriously, big stages, well tuned systems can get insanely loud even with a set of powered 12's.  The inverse square law works on mics too. 

Churches have a whole different set of feedback problems mostly from users that don't know how to use a mic. 

With all of that said the V7 is a sweet mic.  I don't know why, I can't explain it, it's a sum greater than the whole thing.  It is easy to work with.  It doesn't break the laws of physics though.

Tim Weaver , I didn't see it was you!  You have a big stage and a well tuned system.  You want me to send you a couple of capsules to play with.  If you like them you can pay for them if not just send them back.

Lol. No worries. I bought one and used it yesterday on her. It worked well I thought! I want to get a couple more shows in before making a final assesment, but so far I like it.

The V7 seems to have a mouch more forward upper midrange. It's not harsh though. 2k-3k region. It works great on vocals since that is right in the middle of the "intelligibilty range". I could see this being super useful for people that don't know how to handle microphones. The V7 from my two songs I heard it on it doesn't change a lot with distance. She doesn't ever eat the mic though so I don't know how it responds to proximity effect. From a couple inches to a foot or so away it sounded remarkably the same.

Feedback resistance was quite a bit better than the KMS105. Directionality as well. So far I like the V7. No downsides that I've seen yet. Will have to use it some more to form a better opinion.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Peter Morris

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2022, 11:33:41 PM »

Lol. No worries. I bought one and used it yesterday on her. It worked well I thought! I want to get a couple more shows in before making a final assessment, but so far I like it.

The V7 seems to have a much more forward upper midrange. It's not harsh though. 2k-3k region. It works great on vocals since that is right in the middle of the "intelligibility range". I could see this being super useful for people that don't know how to handle microphones. The V7 from my two songs I heard it on it doesn't change a lot with distance. She doesn't ever eat the mic though so I don't know how it responds to proximity effect. From a couple inches to a foot or so away it sounded remarkably the same.

Feedback resistance was quite a bit better than the KMS105. Directionality as well. So far I like the V7. No downsides that I've seen yet. Will have to use it some more to form a better opinion.

Love to hear a bit more about this mic after you have had a bit more time with it ... I have just about everything else, KSM8, KSM9, KSM105, 58, B58, B56, B57, AE6100, AE5400. I have never tried the V7; a lot of people seem to like it and I though it may be worth getting a few.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2022, 11:57:20 PM »

Lol. No worries. I bought one and used it yesterday on her. It worked well I thought! I want to get a couple more shows in before making a final assesment, but so far I like it.

The V7 seems to have a mouch more forward upper midrange. It's not harsh though. 2k-3k region. It works great on vocals since that is right in the middle of the "intelligibilty range". I could see this being super useful for people that don't know how to handle microphones. The V7 from my two songs I heard it on it doesn't change a lot with distance. She doesn't ever eat the mic though so I don't know how it responds to proximity effect. From a couple inches to a foot or so away it sounded remarkably the same.

Price is good too.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2022, 05:23:30 PM »

My observations as well. Posted this blurb a couple of years ago:

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/968248756847202304

https://hi-in.facebook.com/sEElectronics/photos/a.130023450431538/1262145717219300/

Received the latest copy of MIX Magazine yesterday and noted that the V7 cartridge was chosen for Phil Collins' mic on the latest Genesis tour. Obviously, price was no object there.

Dave

John Fruits

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2022, 07:13:03 PM »

Since there seem to be at least 6 versions of the V7 I wonder which model is most popular.  Is there really much difference?
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2022, 06:52:01 PM »

Another +1 for the V7 capsules - I have a bunch of them for my Shure sticks and everyone who uses them loves them.

If you're looking to spend a little more $$, one of the best GBF/proximity/sounding capsules I've worked with is the DPA 2028. I really rejects unwanted noise and manages proximity quite well. Not sure if it's in your budget, but it's worth a look.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2022, 06:45:15 PM »

Since there seem to be at least 6 versions of the V7 I wonder which model is most popular.  Is there really much difference?

AFAIK, the V7 model differences are purely cosmetic.

Dave

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2022, 06:45:15 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.