ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Column speakers systems  (Read 7484 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Column speakers systems
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2022, 12:28:17 PM »

IMO SM80 needs a one octave bass box with the same footprint, say 80Hz - 160 Hz.  No one wants to run their subs high enough to account for SM80’s lack of bass response.  It’s also a stacking solution.
Hey now, "Back in the day" of the double scoops/ perkins boxes, 160-180hz was the typical xover between the low and mids for "the systems of the day". Sometimes a little higher

Of course things were different, nowhere near the deep bass we have today etc. 

And I guess back then it was more of "bass cabinets" than sub cabinets.  The recorded media (LPs) didn't have deep bass because of the lack of tracking of the turntables, so most music didn't have much deep bass.

It all depends on what you are doing and expecting.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2022, 02:16:18 PM »

The SM80F (2-15's in a tapped horn along with the mid/hi section of an SM80) is a solution that some have used with a sub to solve the issue, and has decent low end response as a stand alone. Although at 215 lbs. it is much harder to deploy in a stack than a regular SM80.

There is also the SM80M which is a ported box instead of a sealed box, that is pole mountable and extends the -3dB LF response to 86Hz as opposed to the SM80's 140Hz. And weighs the same 65 lbs as the SM80. There's your missing octave.

I’m aware of the SM80F.  It’s the weight, hence the idea to split it.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Mike Santarelli

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2022, 03:49:56 PM »

We are going to need that baby Jehrico!

Martin Morris

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2022, 04:19:59 PM »

And not just the SM80F, also an option for the SM80.

And I wonder how many SM80 users would buy the "one octave" box? ... lots !!!

Bit like the d&b Q sub, compact and adds to the stacking height plus transitions nicely to the B2.

Cheers
Martin
Dude told me to "go back to where I came from", so I set my tent up on his front lawn ... (unnamed Indian)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2022, 08:54:58 PM »

IMO SM80 needs a one octave bass box with the same footprint, say 80Hz - 160 Hz.  No one wants to run their subs high enough to account for SM80’s lack of bass response.  It’s also a stacking solution.

A perfect application for Community's M-80 mid-bass horn. 100ish to 250Hz.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2022, 11:45:27 PM »

And not just the SM80F, also an option for the SM80.

And I wonder how many SM80 users would buy the "one octave" box? ... lots !!!

Bit like the d&b Q sub, compact and adds to the stacking height plus transitions nicely to the B2.

Cheers
Martin

Say your average sub is about 45 inches on end.  The bass box needs to be tall enough to get the center of the SM80 over the crowd, maybe 6.5 feet.  Half height of SM80 is about 12 inches. So the sub and center point of SM80 is about 57 inches.  We want to hit 78 inches, so the bass box should be at least 21 inches tall give or take, same footprint as SM80 or could be deeper with a cutout the SM80 can rest in. 

Check my arithmetic please lol.

Yes box volume could be an issue, but it’s not a sub.  For EDM the bass box would certainly add some “smack”.
It's got electrolytes. 

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2022, 01:43:50 AM »

Pair of 12"s in a short-ish horn would probably do the job. I'm thinking a similar layout to the Nexo B1.

If anyone's seriously interested in this, I'll knock some simulations together and see what we can get.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Doug Fowler

• Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2022, 02:14:37 AM »

Pair of 12"s in a short-ish horn would probably do the job. I'm thinking a similar layout to the Nexo B1.

If anyone's seriously interested in this, I'll knock some simulations together and see what we can get.

Chris

Sounds like a worthy project.
It's got electrolytes. 

Peter Morris

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2022, 02:40:55 AM »

Chris

What about a pair of 15's (that others mentioned)  :)

https://www.danleysoundlabs.com/products/loud-speakers/synergy-molded-horns/sm80f/

I don't think you will be able to do much better than this tapped horn + SM80 when you take every thing into account.

To me adding a couple of 12" drivers to fill the gap is not a great solution.  You are better off with an SM80F or with a different box such as a couple of SH 46's. That way you maintain the "Synergy Horn" point source concept.

https://www.danleysoundlabs.com/products/loud-speakers/synergy-horn/sh46/

To fill the gap you are talking about is what my PM90/60 that Caleb mentioned above was all about - 2 x horn loaded 12" speakers operating down to a usable 100Hz and a dual concentric horn driver operating from 650Hz up (B&C DCX464 in the latest version)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 09:36:28 AM by Peter Morris »

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2022, 08:28:46 AM »

Peter,

The midbass module mentioned here would allow an amount of modularity in terms of building a system, which I suppose would be beneficial, but I do take your point that other products offered will happily do the job.

At the moment, I've got 1x12" simulating >103dB@1w from 100Hz-400Hz, and with a ported back chamber (preferred for airflow) you can get useful output below 100Hz, albeit at a lower sensitivity - EQ required for a flat response.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2022, 08:28:46 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.