ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Speaker Paint  (Read 1145 times)

Taylor Hall

Re: Speaker Paint
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2022, 09:00:27 PM »

We've had good luck with duratex but horrible experience with exohyde. We were hopeful the exohyde would perform as well as the duratex, but after fully curing, we had areas all over several cabinets that looked like the material had shrunk, causing it to crack and show the bare wood underneath. We sanded a few spots down to make sure there wasn't any filler beneath and it was only wood. Luckily we only opened one tub of it so we sent the rest back for PE and ordered more duratex to replace it. It's kind of a shame because the exohyde went on way easier than the duratex, but I guess the tradeoff was a wildly inconsistent surface finish that made it unsuitable for use.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Michael Thompson

• Factor Audio
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2022, 12:13:59 AM »

I've done truck bed products like Line-X, Herculiner, Duratex and good old oil based paints.  The professional truck bed coating are super tough, but not a substitute for proper feet/skids and once you break through, a refinish is a real problem.  Herculiner turns white and chalky from UV exposure, so be warned if you do lots of outdoor work.  It's pretty rough on the hands too.  Oil based paint doesn't cover blemishes and doesn't have texture but it's actually pretty tough.  It takes forever to dry though.  Duratex is my preference these days.  No it's not indestructible or even close to a pro polyurea coating, but it's so damn easy to apply with no bad smells, I just re- apply as needed, which isn't that often.

Mal Brown

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2022, 03:50:48 PM »

I just bought a gallon from Parts Express.  Grabbed some spare rollers plus XLR's to get to $99 for free freight.
Bass player, sound guy.
Fb Gorge Sound and Light
WillyandNelson.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2022, 03:50:48 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 22 queries.