ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Speaker Paint  (Read 1375 times)

John M. Roll

Speaker Paint
« on: January 07, 2022, 06:24:10 PM »

There are a few speaker coatings out there. Duratex comes to mind, but it's expensive. Is there a less expensive alternative or is this a "buy once, cry once" scenario?

John

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
Re: Speaker Paint
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 07:13:18 PM »

There are a few speaker coatings out there. Duratex comes to mind, but it's expensive. Is there a less expensive alternative or is this a "buy once, cry once" scenario?

John

For the cabinet(s) right?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 08:10:11 PM »

John

Sherwin-Williams Polane-T.  I think it's available in as little as 1 gallon quantities.
"Art has always held a tenuous position between acts of subversion and status symbol collected by those who profit from the very status quo the art purports to subvert." - Stephen Colbert

John Halliburton

• White pointy beard, knows zip...about chicken.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 10:40:54 AM »

John

Duratex and Exohyde are basically the same product in my book.  I've used both.  For the DIY'er, these are your go to products.  Coat cabinet edges and corners with a second coat for a bit more protection.  That said, Duratex is about 20% more expensive:  Currently $70/gal vs $82/gal.

Real truck bed coating such as LineX is really the way to go, it is tougher and thicker.  It will be more expensive, but IMO, worth it.

Best regards,

John

Rick Powell

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 01:22:53 PM »

Duratex works out to about $10 per cabinet based on my experience, with the ability to touch up when needed. Its not that expensive in the grand scheme of things, and it has lasted 5 years on the floor monitors I built, with just ordinary wear and tear from weekly use. I agree Line-X or Rhino is the ultimate in pro audio speaker finish but takes a pro to apply it and Id assume it is probably 4x as expensive as a DIY Duratex job. I have wondered how the DIY truck bed liner that you can find at automotive supply houses (Herculiner, etc.) would hold up. Found this article about a guy who re-did an old bass cabinet with Herculiner a few years ago. https://www.talkbass.com/threads/herculiner-coating-on-my-speaker-cabinet.1341793/
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 01:33:05 PM by Rick Powell »

duane massey

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 02:38:28 PM »

Used Duratex for years for installed speakers, but not really pleased with durabilty for road-use. Last year started using ExoHyde, with somewhat better results, but still not as durable as I would prefer. ExoHyde seems to adhere to bare wood better. Right now Exohyde is back-ordered until mid-February, so I may have to look at using Duratex or a new product for a small order I am starting on.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

John Halliburton

• White pointy beard, knows zip...about chicken.
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2022, 11:01:16 AM »

Used Duratex for years for installed speakers, but not really pleased with durabilty for road-use. Last year started using ExoHyde, with somewhat better results, but still not as durable as I would prefer. ExoHyde seems to adhere to bare wood better. Right now Exohyde is back-ordered until mid-February, so I may have to look at using Duratex or a new product for a small order I am starting on.

It's best to sand the cabinet with nothing finer than 60 grit, and make sure it's dry and blown off of dust. 

Adhesion to old finishes will vary, but I've had decent results with rough sanding old commercial texture paints/lacquers used in the industry with the 60 grit, dusting off, and wiping down with a bit of alcohol or other spirits to degrease.

This is also a recommended procedure if taking the cabinets to a LineX shop for spraying.

Best regards,

John

Mal Brown

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 01:20:52 AM »

from recollection... duratex outgasses water when curing.  rhino and other outgas vapors including cyanide... so depending on where you'll be finishing and curing that might be important... multiple costs of dura tex is what I prefer
Bass player, sound guy.
Fb Gorge Sound and Light
WillyandNelson.com

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 12:14:03 PM »

from recollection... duratex outgasses water when curing.  rhino and other outgas vapors including cyanide... so depending on where you'll be finishing and curing that might be important... multiple costs of dura tex is what I prefer

A lot of larger shops go the Polane route in the off season.

A set of X-Array hangs outdoors here all season.  Between the depth offset into the cab and a robust grill water never is an issue.   Take em back to the shop, run the sweeps, paint and wait until next season.  Of course theyre not getting banged around in a truck.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2022, 06:44:48 AM »

As John mentioned, surface prep, surface prep, surface prep, no matter what product you decide to use.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2022, 06:44:48 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 20 queries.