Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

Any recommendations about what to do with old Software hardcopies?

(1/4) > >>

Eric Snodgrass:
I have a few collections of old, outdated software hardcopies (box sets with individual DVDs for loading the software).  The stuff is registered in my name but I've not used these versions for many years. 
Anyone here have any suggestions about what to do with this stuff?  Shredding the DVDs and tossing the packaging is my first inclination but I thought I'd ask the community here to see if there are alternatives to that. 

Brian Jojade:
If you know you'll never want or need it again, recycling what you can and trashing the rest is pretty much all that you can do.  There's no value in old software, and some licenses even prohibit transfer.

It does hurt just throwing away a box that you know cost you hundreds or even thousands of dollars not so long ago.  But that's how it goes.

Chris Hindle:
maybe a museum or a school somewhere, with some kind of a "living memorial" to the history of computer Science and Technology?
Last century i donated my dark room and a bunch of film gear to a community college that had an arts program on the history of photography......
Chris.

Stephen Swaffer:

--- Quote from: Brian Jojade on January 06, 2022, 06:58:34 PM ---If you know you'll never want or need it again, recycling what you can and trashing the rest is pretty much all that you can do.  There's no value in old software, and some licenses even prohibit transfer.

It does hurt just throwing away a box that you know cost you hundreds or even thousands of dollars not so long ago.  But that's how it goes.

--- End quote ---

Did the box cost you that or the intellectual knowledge and skill and time of the programmer(s)?  Many conversations on here about customers seeing only "racks and stacks and gear" as what they are buying when they hire a sound provider :)

Brian Jojade:

--- Quote from: Stephen Swaffer on January 07, 2022, 12:25:32 PM ---Did the box cost you that or the intellectual knowledge and skill and time of the programmer(s)?  Many conversations on here about customers seeing only "racks and stacks and gear" as what they are buying when they hire a sound provider :)

--- End quote ---

I never said it wasn't justified. The key is that the tangible item that remains is a box and a disc.

The value of the software disappears quickly over time.

As technology moves on, the physical box and disc is a relic of the past now, so when you buy software now, you just use it until you're done, then it poofs away with no evidence it ever existed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version