ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice for KF300 rig  (Read 5067 times)

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
Re: Advice for KF300 rig
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2022, 08:11:09 PM »

Things I don't miss...

6 hands for the "Console Party"

Stacking PA
Try 8 for the "real" boards.......
MTL-4 and MTH-4 weren't a lot of fun to stack either....
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2022, 08:27:40 AM »

Josh, if you elect to install the flange receptacles and pole mount.  Putting the flange at the CG point makes for some better times.

Simply balance the enclosure on a piece of 3/4" or larger sch 40 PVC or any suitable object on fore/aft and LR axis to determine the CG and drill there for the flanges.

Mal Brown

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2022, 08:44:21 AM »

Skaff...  sorry.  I learned that term from an old timer.... thought it was common.  My bad.  Scaffold.  Bakers scaffold is the 2' wide version.  I paid something like $190 for each of 2 sets.   As I live in a wind tunnel ground stacking is kind of a way of life at least for folks at my level.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2022, 10:26:44 AM »

Try 8 for the "real" boards.......
MTL-4 and MTH-4 weren't a lot of fun to stack either....
Chris.

Oh, for me it was usually 4Ks and 4KMs and The 6 human count was my absolute minimum. As in, "If you can't get me 5 guys/strong girls [plus me], we're not having a show because I straight up refuse to hurt someone." And that came from pushing it one time and actually hurting someone, albeit not super seriously. 8 humans was definitely preferable.

I do remember some particular misery with a Paragon, but that's another story....  :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

brian maddox

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2022, 10:29:00 AM »

Josh, if you elect to install the flange receptacles and pole mount.  Putting the flange at the CG point makes for some better times.

Simply balance the enclosure on a piece of 3/4" or larger sch 40 PVC or any suitable object on fore/aft and LR axis to determine the CG and drill there for the flanges.

^^this

The CG on these isn't far off the "center" but getting it dead on will make your life much better.

And you DEFINiTELY want metal flange receptacles. The first gen KF300s came with plastic ones, which broke very easily.

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

John L Nobile

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2022, 10:40:00 AM »

Oh, for me it was usually 4Ks and 4KMs and The 6 human count was my absolute minimum. As in, "If you can't get me 5 guys/strong girls [plus me], we're not having a show because I straight up refuse to hurt someone." And that came from pushing it one time and actually hurting someone, albeit not super seriously. 8 humans was definitely preferable.

I do remember some particular misery with a Paragon, but that's another story....  :)

EZ-Tilts sure made it a lot easier with less hands. I thought they were way too expensive until I saw my first one in action and found that it was at the perfect height for me.

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2022, 10:53:56 AM »

Hi all, long time lurker first time poster looking for some input on fleshing out my next PA.

Over the summer I made the upgrade from my Yamaha club rig to a pair of EAW JF260s and SB180s powered by a pair of crown K2s. One of the sellers also kicked in a free pair of KF300I’s in need a crossover repair that I just had refurbished to spec. Per the advice of the repair tech, my plan is to biamp the KF300s with the K2s and use my behringer dcx2496 for processing until I can upgrade to a better DSP or power soft amps.

Given that the KF300s are close to 100 pounds and don’t have a pole mount, does anyone have suggestions on how to get these boxes high enough stacked on top of the subs? I’m considering the idea of building spacer boxes that double as cable storage I’ve read about on here. Also, any budget friendly used amp recommendations for powering the SB180s? Ive looked at the QSC plx3602, plx 3002, and crown macrotech MA2400 so far.

Thanks and happy new year,
Josh

Josh,
I have the KF300 for one of my rigs. However, my KF’s had pole mounts from factory. For this rig, I use the SB250 Subs and I ended up drilling out installing the top hat on both subs for the pole mounts, then place the speaker pole (metal gator works poles, don’t use plastic!) mount the KF and your good to go. This should get you the height you need and still being safe.

I know I’ve some photos available somewhere of this setup, I’ll try and locate them.

K2 might work ok, I have QSC 4.0 powering mine with the UX3600 crossover and it sounds great.
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2022, 11:06:23 AM »

There was enough misery with Paragon aside from lifting it. 
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Josh Paquette

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2022, 11:08:12 AM »

^^this

The CG on these isn't far off the "center" but getting it dead on will make your life much better.

And you DEFINiTELY want metal flange receptacles. The first gen KF300s came with plastic ones, which broke very easily.

I broke the plastic top hat on one my JF260s and had it replaced with a metal when I had the kf300s serviced. The tech was against putting a mount on the 300s though due to the weight but I might do it anyway.

brian maddox

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2022, 11:20:17 AM »

I don't know all the ins and outs of which version you have, but be aware that the high frequency driver in some KF300's is in the middle of the box. That means you need to get the whole box higher than you would think to get the HF over people's heads.

Just one more little detail to think about.

This is correct. Although it's just a bit offset towards the top of the box, it's basically in the middle.

interestingly, the latest Z version of the box seems to have reversed this orientation between the MF and HF and put the HF horn on the top of the box. Learn something new every day.

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2022, 11:20:17 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 25 queries.