ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice for KF300 rig  (Read 4890 times)

Josh Paquette

Advice for KF300 rig
« on: January 04, 2022, 01:16:53 AM »

Hi all, long time lurker first time poster looking for some input on fleshing out my next PA.

Over the summer I made the upgrade from my Yamaha club rig to a pair of EAW JF260s and SB180s powered by a pair of crown K2s. One of the sellers also kicked in a free pair of KF300I’s in need a crossover repair that I just had refurbished to spec. Per the advice of the repair tech, my plan is to biamp the KF300s with the K2s and use my behringer dcx2496 for processing until I can upgrade to a better DSP or power soft amps.

Given that the KF300s are close to 100 pounds and don’t have a pole mount, does anyone have suggestions on how to get these boxes high enough stacked on top of the subs? I’m considering the idea of building spacer boxes that double as cable storage I’ve read about on here. Also, any budget friendly used amp recommendations for powering the SB180s? Ive looked at the QSC plx3602, plx 3002, and crown macrotech MA2400 so far.

Thanks and happy new year,
Josh

Rick Powell

Re: Advice for KF300 rig
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 08:42:43 AM »

Here’s an older thread about a PSW member who was looking to add a pole mount to their KF300’s. At 100 lbs, the KF300 is not the friendliest pole mount load, but there have been manufactured speakers with pole mounts up to the 135 lb. range.

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=156529.0

There are several other ways to get height that I’ve used or seen. The purpose-built road case, scaffolding, adding and stacking more subs to reach the desired height, an aluminum work bench (available at some hardware stores) with legs, that will accommodate the size of your subs and tops, plastic milk cartons (tacky). Depending on the height and stability, some solutions may require ratchet straps or other means to stabilize the tops to the subs.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2022, 09:21:21 AM »

Hi all, long time lurker first time poster looking for some input on fleshing out my next PA.

Over the summer I made the upgrade from my Yamaha club rig to a pair of EAW JF260s and SB180s powered by a pair of crown K2s. One of the sellers also kicked in a free pair of KF300I’s in need a crossover repair that I just had refurbished to spec. Per the advice of the repair tech, my plan is to biamp the KF300s with the K2s and use my behringer dcx2496 for processing until I can upgrade to a better DSP or power soft amps.

Given that the KF300s are close to 100 pounds and don’t have a pole mount, does anyone have suggestions on how to get these boxes high enough stacked on top of the subs? I’m considering the idea of building spacer boxes that double as cable storage I’ve read about on here. Also, any budget friendly used amp recommendations for powering the SB180s? Ive looked at the QSC plx3602, plx 3002, and crown macrotech MA2400 so far.

Thanks and happy new year,
Josh

Every KF300 I have ever used has had a pole mount, And there have been at least a 100 in 3 0r 4 different version. Perhaps yours are an install version?

At any rate, you should be able to add a pole mount, just make sure it's a sturdy metal version. I've done literally hundreds of shows with these with the larger version of the classic Ultimate Tripod Stand [I think they are 99s now?]. It was at the upper limit of the stand's weight capacity, but still safe. PITA to lift up on the stand, but the combo works well otherwise. With the metal pole mount, the standard way to lift these was to put the box on the floor upside down, insert the stand, and then lay it over on it's side and "Iwo Jima" up the combo, preferably with two people. And when I say standard way, I mean all I said to any crew I was working with was "ready to Iwo Jima those 300s?" and they all knew what I was talking about.

It's also a fully flyable box, but I suspect that's more than you're willing to explore right now.

Good Luck!

p.s. IIRC the "I" version of the box was actually a little lighter because it lacked some of the heavy passive crossover that the "e" version added later.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Josh Paquette

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2022, 12:36:29 PM »

Thanks for the tips - this gives me some ideas to work with. These are the isp install version that have passive crossovers and ep4 inputs, which I changed to NL4. I’ll be strapping them down in any situation as I wouldn’t want to take any risks at their weight.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2022, 12:56:22 PM »

Hernia truss and back brace.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 02:21:03 PM »

I don't know all the ins and outs of which version you have, but be aware that the high frequency driver in some KF300's is in the middle of the box. That means you need to get the whole box higher than you would think to get the HF over people's heads.

Just one more little detail to think about.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Mal Brown

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 04:28:25 PM »

baker's skaff.  rattle can or powder coat black if industrial yellow isn't your thing...  lay one of a couple of subs down, up goes the lf.  climb onto to the sub(s) with mother guy.  Boost to the Skaff...

I do this with my trap40 over la400's rig.  Another vintage 100 lb box.  Lovely sounding but dang, a pita to move.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 08:36:31 AM by Mal Brown »
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2022, 05:28:13 PM »

baker's skaff.  rattle can or powder coat black if industrial yellow isn't your thing...  lay one of a couple of subs down, up goes the lf.  climb onto to the sub(s) with mother guy.  Boost to the Skaff...

I do this with my trap40 over la400's rig.  Another vintage 100 lb box.  Lovely sounding but dang, a pit amp to move.

Had to read that 3-4 times to figure what in the world you were talking about.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2022, 06:05:09 PM »

Had to read that 3-4 times to figure what in the world you were talking about.
'Scuse me while I kiss this guy......
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2022, 06:11:37 PM »

I do this with my trap40 over la400's rig.  Another vintage 100 lb box.  Lovely sounding but dang, a pit amp to move.

Things I don't miss...

6 hands for the "Console Party"

Stacking PA
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2022, 06:11:37 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.