ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Column PAs  (Read 11241 times)

Phil B

Re: Column PAs
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2021, 12:18:20 AM »

You already have most of what you need to know courtesy of this forum but I’m not sure you realize it.

Find your local distributors for demos.
Thanks. Sadly I don't have a single user experience, which is kind of the one thing I can't read off of a spec sheet.

Sent from my MAR-LX1M using Tapatalk

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2021, 12:35:46 AM »

Thanks. Sadly I don't have a single user experience, which is kind of the one thing I can't read off of a spec sheet.

Lemme break it down:

ANY “column” type loudspeaker will offer FAR more intelligibility (which is what you really want) than any direct radiating LF traditional loudspeaker.  The height of the column mostly determines how low (frequency wise) you still maintain vertical pattern control.  Forget about anything that is a traditional direct radiating box.  A horn loaded point source loudspeaker will offer pattern control on both axes (sp?) but needs to be large in both dimensions to accomplish this.

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Phil B

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2021, 12:48:22 AM »

Lemme break it down:

ANY “column” type loudspeaker will offer FAR more intelligibility (which is what you really want) than any direct radiating LF traditional loudspeaker.  The height of the column mostly determines how low (frequency wise) you still maintain vertical pattern control.  Forget about anything that is a traditional direct radiating box.  A horn loaded point source loudspeaker will offer pattern control on both axes (sp?) but needs to be large in both dimensions to accomplish this.
Thank you. That confirms my (very limited) understanding.

Phil B

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2021, 01:33:06 AM »

Which brings me back to my original question as to the differences between the various speakers.

I find it intriguing that had I asked for a comparison between Yamaha DXR and EV ELX I would likely have received a number of opinions. Asking a similar question for columns yields hardly any insight.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2021, 12:43:39 PM »

Which brings me back to my original question as to the differences between the various speakers.

I find it intriguing that had I asked for a comparison between Yamaha DXR and EV ELX I would likely have received a number of opinions. Asking a similar question for columns yields hardly any insight.

I would guess that's because they are primarily used for installs and most posters here tend towards events.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2021, 03:33:37 PM »

To add a little to what Doug said, the horn loaded point source may need to be very large physically to achieve good pattern control in both vertical and horizontal planes.  Columns with enough length can produce greater intelligibility, but to work well over a fairly broad frequency range, the individual drivers in most designs are fairly small.  2" to 3" "full range" cone drivers are typically used.  The one downside of these designs is that the horizontal coverage is usually very wide.  They may not work well in narrow rooms with very reflective walls, and they can spill onto the stage in other cases.  Like many things, the best sound system for a specific room is probably the one with the best compromises unless there is an unlimited budget available.

Phil B

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2021, 03:39:47 PM »

To add a little to what Doug said, the horn loaded point source may need to be very large physically to achieve good pattern control in both vertical and horizontal planes.  Columns with enough length can produce greater intelligibility, but to work well over a fairly broad frequency range, the individual drivers in most designs are fairly small.  2" to 3" "full range" cone drivers are typically used.  The one downside of these designs is that the horizontal coverage is usually very wide.  They may not work well in narrow rooms with very reflective walls, and they can spill onto the stage in other cases.  Like many things, the best sound system for a specific room is probably the one with the best compromises unless there is an unlimited budget available.

Thanks Don, that helps. The columns I'm looking at have between 6.5" and 12" drivers with smaller (1" to 1 1/4" HF). I'm assuming this increases the quality of their lower mids?

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2021, 07:09:17 PM »

Thanks Don, that helps. The columns I'm looking at have between 6.5" and 12" drivers with smaller (1" to 1 1/4" HF). I'm assuming this increases the quality of their lower mids?

Sorry Phillip.  You had stated that first thing and I just got caught up in the general discussion of speaker design.  I am familiar with the ES1203 system and many other similar type (Bose L1, JBL Eon 1, et al)).  Most of these only have fairly short "line elements" and a separate amp/mixer/sub enclosure.  The full range "column" section in most of these are so short as to provide very little vertical control.  For that, lines of drivers that are 1m or greater in length are needed to have much control (2m and up is better).  In many portable applications these systems can sound acceptable.  Bose actually stated their L1 system is a "personal performing/monitor system". It was not designed to be a PA for a band. If you try to run these as a PA for a full band, they are very very limited.  The DB ES1203 is more powerful than the L1.  In general, an equal priced powered point source speaker will probably outperform the smaller of these type systems in terms of output level.  This is just my opinion.  Full disclosure - I am a DB Tech dealer and have more that 60 of their DVA and DVM products.  I do not do online sales.

Phil B

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2021, 10:56:17 PM »

Sorry Phillip.  You had stated that first thing and I just got caught up in the general discussion of speaker design.  I am familiar with the ES1203 system and many other similar type (Bose L1, JBL Eon 1, et al)).  Most of these only have fairly short "line elements" and a separate amp/mixer/sub enclosure.  The full range "column" section in most of these are so short as to provide very little vertical control.  For that, lines of drivers that are 1m or greater in length are needed to have much control (2m and up is better).  In many portable applications these systems can sound acceptable.  Bose actually stated their L1 system is a "personal performing/monitor system". It was not designed to be a PA for a band. If you try to run these as a PA for a full band, they are very very limited.  The DB ES1203 is more powerful than the L1.  In general, an equal priced powered point source speaker will probably outperform the smaller of these type systems in terms of output level.  This is just my opinion.  Full disclosure - I am a DB Tech dealer and have more that 60 of their DVA and DVM products.  I do not do online sales.
Thanks for those insights.

Have you looked at any of the dB technologies Ingenia products?

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2021, 03:00:26 AM »

The Danley SHB series uses a rather different method to achieve an actual single wave front.  Very interesting.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2021, 03:00:26 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.