ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Column PAs  (Read 11055 times)

Phil B

Column PAs
« on: December 25, 2021, 12:19:05 PM »

We're looking at potentially getting a "stick" / column PA. I like the idea of being able to wall-mount the tops. Has anyone perhaps compared the JBL PRX One, HK Audio Elements and db Technologies ES1203?

Sent from my MAR-LX1M using Tapatalk

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
Re: Column PAs
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2021, 01:38:56 PM »

For what purpose?

If you were mowing 2 1/2 acres and were asking about how well an 18" battery power lawnmower would work, I would advise you against that and suggest something with a 60" mowing deck and at least 25 HP.

Phil B

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2021, 01:52:24 PM »

Our church is moving into a beautiful old, but acoustically challenging, building. It's an old style stone church with a big echo. The audience zone is about 18m deep and 9m wide. Someone suggested we look at a column array (as proper line array is above our budget) and I've been intrigued, especially with HK now bringing out the 15"  elements sub.

I was wondering if anyone has done a comparison between the options, as obviously not everything is readable off of a spec sheet.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2021, 02:16:56 PM »

Our church is moving into a beautiful old, but acoustically challenging, building. It's an old style stone church with a big echo. The audience zone is about 18m deep and 9m wide. Someone suggested we look at a column array (as proper line array is above our budget) and I've been intrigued, especially with HK now bringing out the 15"  elements sub.

Well.. at least you're asking before buying. Column speakers do work in these spaces if distributed down the length and delayed, and a little less well if deployed as a distributed system with no delays. The key is to keep the SPL from any given column low enough that it doesn't excite the room too much or overlap with the coverage of the other speakers.. and of course they have to be elevated and pointed down at the listeners... not pointed at the far walls. Two speakers of any type at the front pointed straight back and cranked up so it can be heard in the back rows will do nothing but excite the room and be an uninteligible mess for spoken word.

Is that HK system designed to be separated and mounted? Most of the portable stick systems only work with the stick mounted in the sub, but JBL, Bose and others have columns that are designed for installation.

Phil B

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2021, 02:24:01 PM »

Well.. at least you're asking before buying. Column speakers do work in these spaces if distributed down the length and delayed, and a little less well if deployed as a distributed system with no delays. The key is to keep the SPL from any given column low enough that it doesn't excite the room too much or overlap with the coverage of the other speakers.. and of course they have to be elevated and pointed down at the listeners... not pointed at the far walls. Two speakers of any type at the front pointed straight back and cranked up so it can be heard in the back rows will do nothing but excite the room and be an uninteligible mess for spoken word.

Is that HK system designed to be separated and mounted? Most of the portable stick systems only work with the stick mounted in the sub, but JBL, Bose and others have columns that are designed for installation.
That's kind of the reason I'm particularly drawn to the HK. It allows one to stack the array part as high as you want, has an install kit which allows for tops to be wall mounted, the new 15" sub has option to set delay and then it also has independent tops (with their own amp) we could setup as delays midway through the room. My main concern is whether they'll have enough punch as the advertised SPL isn't particularly high.

I've heard SPL numbers aren't necessarily consistent across manufacturers so was wondering how it compares to the competition. And then obviously how the sound quality compares

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2021, 03:10:16 PM »

My main concern is whether they'll have enough punch as the advertised SPL isn't particularly high.

You can't power your way to clarity in a highly reverbant room like this, the only two solutions that work are (lots of)room treatments or multiple speakers that are only just loud enough to be heard.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2021, 03:44:17 PM »

I was wondering if anyone has done a comparison between the options, as obviously not everything is readable off of a spec sheet.

Have a look at the Danley column speakers.  The vertical pattern control is outstanding. It’s a wide horizontal pattern so it lends itself better to a center fill, at least in your situation (I think).  Model it in Danley’s prediction software. 

Renkus-Heinz also has good solutions but it’s steering, and likely pretty expensive.

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Phil B

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2021, 04:01:54 PM »

Have a look at the Danley column speakers.  The vertical pattern control is outstanding. It’s a wide horizontal pattern so it lends itself better to a center fill, at least in your situation (I think).  Model it in Danley’s prediction software. 

Renkus-Heinz also has good solutions but it’s steering, and likely pretty expensive.
Thanks. I'll definitely have a look at those. I guess I should also mention I'm in South Africa and not all the makes/models are available here.

I was just reading up about the dbTechnology ingenia series which is also pretty cool.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2021, 04:27:52 PM »

Thanks. I'll definitely have a look at those. I guess I should also mention I'm in South Africa and not all the makes/models are available here.

I was just reading up about the dbTechnology ingenia series which is also pretty cool.

It looks like Danley has distribution in South Africa.  I’m sure Renkus-Heinz does also.

https://www.danleysoundlabs.com/international-danley-sales-team/
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2021, 06:35:13 AM »

I have used the Danley SBH10 and SBH20 and they are excellent sounding speakers with very good vertical pattern control.
They are not your conventional designed column speakers!
They won't fix the acoustic problem with your room but will sound better at a distance than most other speakers.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2021, 06:35:13 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 23 queries.