ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Onyx (M-PC) users at the Lounge level  (Read 4844 times)

Steve Garris

Re: Onyx (M-PC) users at the Lounge level
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2021, 08:44:19 PM »

I always save the old install files.  PM me if you want a copy.

PM Sent!

Tommy Nikiforov

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2021, 08:54:27 AM »

I think i still have 4.2 AND m-pc 3.70 on a drive somewhere just because of the nerfing the guys at elation have been up to since aquiring mpc.
Lighting Designer / Programmer / Operator
ChamSys Alpha tester
Located in Southern Finland

Steve Garris

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2022, 06:17:09 PM »

I think i still have 4.2 AND m-pc 3.70 on a drive somewhere just because of the nerfing the guys at elation have been up to since aquiring mpc.

Someone from the FB lighting page sent it to me - it's installed! Now I have to figure out how to use it - LOL.

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2022, 09:21:55 PM »

Following!

I fell into Onyx after inheriting an M-Touch controller.  I'm not much of an LD, but trying to learn.  Onyx feels very capable, and very complex.  I wouldn't say I fully understand it, but I've been able to create shows with a bunch of PARs and a few movers. 

I typically create a set of scenes for each of my lighting subsets (Upstage, Downstage, Effects) and place them into cuestacks.

Then I'll add a set of FX that target those subsets (fades, strobes, color changes, motion) and place them into other cuestacks. 

Then, a sub-master for each subset. 

This usually gives me enough tools to busk a show moderately well.

I would love to figure out how to program all of the above more quickly though!  My setups are different enough from gig to gig that re-programming can be time consuming. 

There's an Onyx User Group on Facebook that may be of value.

Tommy Nikiforov

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2022, 11:49:09 AM »

Following!

I fell into Onyx after inheriting an M-Touch controller.  I'm not much of an LD, but trying to learn.  Onyx feels very capable, and very complex.  I wouldn't say I fully understand it, but I've been able to create shows with a bunch of PARs and a few movers. 

I typically create a set of scenes for each of my lighting subsets (Upstage, Downstage, Effects) and place them into cuestacks.

Then I'll add a set of FX that target those subsets (fades, strobes, color changes, motion) and place them into other cuestacks. 

Then, a sub-master for each subset. 

This usually gives me enough tools to busk a show moderately well.

I would love to figure out how to program all of the above more quickly though!  My setups are different enough from gig to gig that re-programming can be time consuming. 

There's an Onyx User Group on Facebook that may be of value.

Quick programming with constantly changing rigs is VERY tedious on onyx, the lack of pan/tilt offsets , no "auto palettes" and the lackluster cloning features are the main reason i had to sell my mplay+nxtouch combo and buy a Chamsys PC-wing
ChamSys Alpha tester

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2022, 01:35:52 PM »

Quick programming with constantly changing rigs is VERY tedious on onyx, the lack of pan/tilt offsets , no "auto palettes" and the lackluster cloning features are the main reason i had to sell my mplay+nxtouch combo and buy a Chamsys PC-wing

... Interesting.  I just figured it was because I'm an ignorant novice.  Hmmm...

Tommy Nikiforov

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2022, 07:33:51 PM »

... Interesting.  I just figured it was because I'm an ignorant novice.  Hmmm...

Like sure, using presets makes things slightly faster , but if you make a new show you have to do it all over again.
In comparison to for example Chamsys Magicq. it auto creates a bunch of palettes/presets, it has this nifty group fx and group cue feature.
The fx part makes it so you change the fixtures in the group the fx was made in and the fx auto updates, add or  remove fixtures, it just works.
Group Cues essentially makes it so you can even remove your whole patch, add completely different new fixtures. update groups, tweak a few palettes and everything works as expected.
ChamSys Alpha tester

Mike Karseboom

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2022, 12:52:30 PM »

I don't have to worry about using a bunch of other people's fixtures, just my own.  But I end up mixing and matching my fixtures in different combinations and positions depending on  the show / budget.  For example, I have some IP65 par fixtures that I use for outdoor shows when they might get wet.  But they are heavy and when I don't need them I have other options that are easier to deploy.  If it is indoors and I can use haze and the budget is there, I will bring out some small movers and some efx lights. So my need for flexibility is more a function of which fixtures I put where.

This has been a stumbling block in the past because each time I moved a group of fixtures from one functional position to another I had to do a bunch of programming to get them into the right cuelists.

My approach has been to define presets and cuelist playbacks based around the fixture postition/function.  For example I will usually have 8 front/key lights with cuelist playbacks for  intensity, color, color loops, and a "highlight" for each one  that allows me to sort of solo a focus point.

Using the clone function I have driven these cuelists/playbacks into different groups of physical fixtures.  So if my last show used 8x Chauvet slimpar Pro's as front/key lights and now I need to use 8x elation sixpar IP's instead for an outdoor festival, the same show works and I have all the same functions.

It has been a bit tedious to set up all the likely combinations and I had to implement an addressing scheme that allowed me to have all the fixtures defined at once in different universes. But now I just need to put the fixtures that will actually be used into universe 1 before the show.

Changing presets drives the change to all the fixtures in that preset and keeps them all up to date. 

So far I have been trying to use just one "show" that has the flexibility to handle something simple like basic front lights, to my "full" show with front/back/side lights, drum lights, the movers, efx, and haze.

What I am trying to grasp is how to make this show quicker and easier to use for busking by adding or refining cuelists/playbacks and organizing them optimally.  I know this is pretty nebulous and would likely come after years of experience.  But I thought looking at how some others have set up their shows I might get some ideas.

--Mike
"If you're not confused, you don't know what is going on"

Live Sound for the Mt. Shasta area
http://www.shastalivesound.com

Tommy Nikiforov

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2022, 07:20:19 AM »

I don't have to worry about using a bunch of other people's fixtures, just my own.  But I end up mixing and matching my fixtures in different combinations and positions depending on  the show / budget.  For example, I have some IP65 par fixtures that I use for outdoor shows when they might get wet.  But they are heavy and when I don't need them I have other options that are easier to deploy.  If it is indoors and I can use haze and the budget is there, I will bring out some small movers and some efx lights. So my need for flexibility is more a function of which fixtures I put where.

This has been a stumbling block in the past because each time I moved a group of fixtures from one functional position to another I had to do a bunch of programming to get them into the right cuelists.

My approach has been to define presets and cuelist playbacks based around the fixture postition/function.  For example I will usually have 8 front/key lights with cuelist playbacks for  intensity, color, color loops, and a "highlight" for each one  that allows me to sort of solo a focus point.

Using the clone function I have driven these cuelists/playbacks into different groups of physical fixtures.  So if my last show used 8x Chauvet slimpar Pro's as front/key lights and now I need to use 8x elation sixpar IP's instead for an outdoor festival, the same show works and I have all the same functions.

It has been a bit tedious to set up all the likely combinations and I had to implement an addressing scheme that allowed me to have all the fixtures defined at once in different universes. But now I just need to put the fixtures that will actually be used into universe 1 before the show.

Changing presets drives the change to all the fixtures in that preset and keeps them all up to date. 

So far I have been trying to use just one "show" that has the flexibility to handle something simple like basic front lights, to my "full" show with front/back/side lights, drum lights, the movers, efx, and haze.

What I am trying to grasp is how to make this show quicker and easier to use for busking by adding or refining cuelists/playbacks and organizing them optimally.  I know this is pretty nebulous and would likely come after years of experience.  But I thought looking at how some others have set up their shows I might get some ideas.

I can have a look if i have some of my old mpc/onyx shows somewhere if you want to have a look at how i went about it, not sure if i have them still though.
A bunch of magicq shows i can share thats for sure, that software is at the point where i can DELETE the whole patch, patch new stuff, update my output grid (similar to 2dplan in onyx) and update my groups. 99% of my stuff works right away, the rest i just update the palettes/presets in.
ChamSys Alpha tester

Mike Karseboom

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2022, 10:27:11 AM »

I can have a look if i have some of my old mpc/onyx shows somewhere if you want to have a look at how i went about it, not sure if i have them still though.

Thanks, PM sent.
--Mike
"If you're not confused, you don't know what is going on"

Live Sound for the Mt. Shasta area
http://www.shastalivesound.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2022, 10:27:11 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.