ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Onyx (M-PC) users at the Lounge level  (Read 4841 times)

Mike Karseboom

Onyx (M-PC) users at the Lounge level
« on: December 23, 2021, 02:51:51 AM »

I am interested in some knowledge sharing with other forum members that use Onyx for "Lounge level" type lighting.  That is, you maybe have a couple dozen LED par fixtures for front, back, drums, walls, etc., and sometimes throw in a couple cheap mover and/or efx lights.  My goal is to be able to busk more effectively with random bands.

I've been a Luminaire user for a long time but feel it has many limitations for how I would like to operate the lights.

Onyx always seems to have a way to accomplish whatever you might like, but after 3 year of occasional use I still feel like a noob.  I also think I might  not have a good cuelist strategy for busking.

Anyway, if you are interested in sharing some insights on how you use Onyx, please let me know who you are.  Perhaps you have a good show file I could study?  I will be glad to reciprocate with any help I can offer.
--Mike
"If you're not confused, you don't know what is going on"

Live Sound for the Mt. Shasta area
http://www.shastalivesound.com

John Fruits

Re: Onyx (M-PC) users at the Lounge level
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2021, 07:14:16 AM »

Back when it was Martin the item they had that was cooler than sliced bread was what is now the NX Touch.  When this division was acquired by Elation they also got at least one of the key designers.  For anyone playing along at home there are some demo vids available.
https://www.elationlighting.com/series/onyx
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Mike Karseboom

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2021, 09:20:20 AM »

Back when it was Martin the item they had that was cooler than sliced bread was what is now the NX Touch.  When this division was acquired by Elation they also got at least one of the key designers.  For anyone playing along at home there are some demo vids available.
https://www.elationlighting.com/series/onyx

John, I remember some of your older posts mentioning how you liked the M-touch.  I have one of those but have not quite figured how to use it effectively.  The lack of "scribble strips" is a stumbling block for me.  I use one or two outboard iPads with Touch OSC as dedicated fader banks, or sometimes as a programmer number pad.

Are you still using MPC?
--Mike

Tommy Nikiforov

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2021, 07:40:30 AM »

i used to tour onyx fairly extensively before switching to chamsys which suits touring needs way better.

For busking on onyx you will likely want intensity faders per group, fx speeds for pos,int,col , "size masters" (i think swing masters on onyx) for pos , int , col.
Have your colors, positions,beam palettes , fx etc on a playback button window.
Lighting Designer / Programmer / Operator
ChamSys Alpha tester
Located in Southern Finland

Mike Karseboom

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2021, 10:31:59 AM »

i used to tour onyx fairly extensively before switching to chamsys which suits touring needs way better.

For busking on onyx you will likely want intensity faders per group, fx speeds for pos,int,col , "size masters" (i think swing masters on onyx) for pos , int , col.
Have your colors, positions,beam palettes , fx etc on a playback button window.

It sounds like you work with a lot of moving head lights and I only have 2x low end ones.  So I am trying to create as much coordination/interest with just the LED front/back/side washes.

I based my setup on the Zyper Youtube videos so have the colors on buttons by groups as well as position, color, gobo and swing controls for the two lonely movers. 

Part of the challenge is that I am primarily running sound and have to split the time with lighting.  I have some cuelists with coordinated color schemes that can be stepped manually or run as chases. If the band needs a lot of audio support then I set a color scheme for  the  song and don't get to make many changes other than fading out at the  end of the song.   If the band is self regulating and run on auto pilot once the sound is dialed in I can focus more on lighting moves.

The latter situation is where I am easily frustrated.  It seems difficult to create a quick flash of some sort and color changes are typically at the same intensity and fade rate. Maybe these dynamics are a big part of what is missing.   Your comment makes me think I probably need to organize my intensity and intensity timing faders better and make them more accessible for the times I can work with them more.

--Mike

Tommy Nikiforov

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2021, 12:25:03 PM »

I ran anything from just a few led pars to 20+ movers on onyx , i guess what im trying to say is that workflow is a very personal thing , everyone does it somewhat differently, whats most efficient is up to the user.
Lighting Designer / Programmer / Operator
ChamSys Alpha tester
Located in Southern Finland

Steve Garris

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2021, 02:08:25 PM »

I am interested in some knowledge sharing with other forum members that use Onyx for "Lounge level" type lighting.  That is, you maybe have a couple dozen LED par fixtures for front, back, drums, walls, etc., and sometimes throw in a couple cheap mover and/or efx lights.  My goal is to be able to busk more effectively with random bands.

I've been a Luminaire user for a long time but feel it has many limitations for how I would like to operate the lights.

Onyx always seems to have a way to accomplish whatever you might like, but after 3 year of occasional use I still feel like a noob.  I also think I might  not have a good cuelist strategy for busking.

Anyway, if you are interested in sharing some insights on how you use Onyx, please let me know who you are.  Perhaps you have a good show file I could study?  I will be glad to reciprocate with any help I can offer.

Same here - trying to move away from Luminair3/4. I'm reading now that you have to buy their $350 dmx dongle (I have DmxKing, EDMX1).  I tried to use ShowBuddy - even paid for it, but it would not run well on my Windows 10 PC. My mission is a simple to use program that will work with a few movers. All our lights are low-budget, but they look very good in the small clubs (tribute bands).

I'm open to using something else as well.

Mike Karseboom

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2021, 04:21:17 PM »

Same here - trying to move away from Luminair3/4. I'm reading now that you have to buy their $350 dmx dongle (I have DmxKing, EDMX1).  I tried to use ShowBuddy - even paid for it, but it would not run well on my Windows 10 PC. My mission is a simple to use program that will work with a few movers. All our lights are low-budget, but they look very good in the small clubs (tribute bands).

I'm open to using something else as well.

Onyx 4.2 has the most free, unrestricted  functionality and works well with DMXKing edmx01 artnet, m-touch, and windows 7 or 10 even with pretty low spec laptops.  Later versions of Onyx (4.6 is current) probably have more robust Dylos sections and maybe a few enhancements to the rest of the software but take away some key free features (for me) like unrestricted Touch OSC interface.
--Mike

Steve Garris

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2021, 02:08:08 PM »

Onyx 4.2 has the most free, unrestricted  functionality and works well with DMXKing edmx01 artnet, m-touch, and windows 7 or 10 even with pretty low spec laptops.  Later versions of Onyx (4.6 is current) probably have more robust Dylos sections and maybe a few enhancements to the rest of the software but take away some key free features (for me) like unrestricted Touch OSC interface.

Isn't 4.2 gone? I can't find a download for it.

Mike Karseboom

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2021, 03:04:55 PM »

Isn't 4.2 gone? I can't find a download for it.

I always save the old install files.  PM me if you want a copy.
--Mike

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2021, 03:04:55 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.