Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Lighting Forum

ETC Colorsource 20 Console-- Now a Quick Q 20

(1/5) > >>

Kemper Watson:
Anyone used one of these? I'm watching the videos and I like what I see. Is there another console in this price range I should be aware of? Not software based but a real console? Is the AV model a must have?

Thanks for your time.!!

Edit: I should have been clearer in my post. I'm not looking for a pro desk or the like. I need a small format desk with the ability to store a scene on a fader/ button. I have less than 30 lights and need something I can reach over, grab a fader to change a scene. The YouTube videos of thee CS look amazingly simple.

John Fruits:
For what it's worth, the Chamsys  QuickQ consoles (10, 20 and 30) sort of fill that same niche.  It may also be hard to find them in stock, seems they have a long backorder window.
As far as the Colorsource console, remember it IS ETC, so check out their forums and if you still have questions give them a call.

Jeff Lelko:
Hi Kemper, I can chime in as someone with experience on ColorSource.  I'm not an owner of this series nor a regular user, but here's my two cents.

The ColorSource series of consoles is meant to fill a very specific application - mainly small "coffee shop" stages, houses of worship, and cafeteria auditoriums - venues that can't justify an EOS/ION desk or an MA/Hog, or rely on a single technician to run all tech (lights/sound/video).  While user friendly, this desk is specifically geared towards basic control of LED lights.  The AV variant offers simple media playback, but neither flavor is particularly friendly towards moving lights or complex playback sequencing. 

One significant item to note is how ETC defines "channels".  With the ColorSource series you're restricted to 80 fixtures.  While there are ways to shoehorn around this limitation it can be cumbersome at best.  The desks no doubt have their place as ETC's entry-level offerings and are much more capable than the Smartfade Series they replaced, but they're not a direct swap-out for the aforementioned nor a substitute for a varsity-level console.

The better question to ask is which fixtures do you plan on controlling - both in terms of quantity and complexity?  The ChamSys QuickQ as already mentioned is another option as is the Pathway Cognito2.  Blizzard has a new offering as well called Enigma but lacks the functionality to compete with a real console.  Paired against a ColorSource desk though it might be worth a look - if nothing else for the encoders.  Hope this helps!

Kemper Watson:

--- Quote from: Jeff Lelko on December 19, 2021, 04:22:08 PM ---Hi Kemper, I can chime in as someone with experience on ColorSource.  I'm not an owner of this series nor a regular user, but here's my two cents.

The ColorSource series of consoles is meant to fill a very specific application - mainly small "coffee shop" stages, houses of worship, and cafeteria auditoriums - venues that can't justify an EOS/ION desk or an MA/Hog, or rely on a single technician to run all tech (lights/sound/video).  While user friendly, this desk is specifically geared towards basic control of LED lights.  The AV variant offers simple media playback, but neither flavor is particularly friendly towards moving lights or complex playback sequencing. 

One significant item to note is how ETC defines "channels".  With the ColorSource series you're restricted to 80 fixtures.  While there are ways to shoehorn around this limitation it can be cumbersome at best.  The desks no doubt have their place as ETC's entry-level offerings and are much more capable than the Smartfade Series they replaced, but they're not a direct swap-out for the aforementioned nor a substitute for a varsity-level console.

The better question to ask is which fixtures do you plan on controlling - both in terms of quantity and complexity?  The ChamSys QuickQ as already mentioned is another option as is the Pathway Cognito2.  Blizzard has a new offering as well called Enigma but lacks the functionality to compete with a real console.  Paired against a ColorSource desk though it might be worth a look - if nothing else for the encoders.  Hope this helps!

--- End quote ---

See above edit..And thank you

Tim Hite:
I was looking at the ETC desk, but I downloaded the Chamsys MQ software and played with it and it's more approachable than one whole think.

Chamsys pricing from the usual suspects will be better than what you see online. Very comparable to Colorsource. . .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version