ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: ETC Colorsource 20 Console-- Now a Quick Q 20  (Read 7330 times)

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
ETC Colorsource 20 Console-- Now a Quick Q 20
« on: December 19, 2021, 08:26:42 AM »

Anyone used one of these? I'm watching the videos and I like what I see. Is there another console in this price range I should be aware of? Not software based but a real console? Is the AV model a must have?

Thanks for your time.!!

Edit: I should have been clearer in my post. I'm not looking for a pro desk or the like. I need a small format desk with the ability to store a scene on a fader/ button. I have less than 30 lights and need something I can reach over, grab a fader to change a scene. The YouTube videos of thee CS look amazingly simple.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 07:21:16 AM by Kemper Watson »

John Fruits

Re: ETC Colorsource 20 Console
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2021, 03:51:15 PM »

For what it's worth, the Chamsys  QuickQ consoles (10, 20 and 30) sort of fill that same niche.  It may also be hard to find them in stock, seems they have a long backorder window.
As far as the Colorsource console, remember it IS ETC, so check out their forums and if you still have questions give them a call.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2021, 04:22:08 PM »

Hi Kemper, I can chime in as someone with experience on ColorSource.  I'm not an owner of this series nor a regular user, but here's my two cents.

The ColorSource series of consoles is meant to fill a very specific application - mainly small "coffee shop" stages, houses of worship, and cafeteria auditoriums - venues that can't justify an EOS/ION desk or an MA/Hog, or rely on a single technician to run all tech (lights/sound/video).  While user friendly, this desk is specifically geared towards basic control of LED lights.  The AV variant offers simple media playback, but neither flavor is particularly friendly towards moving lights or complex playback sequencing. 

One significant item to note is how ETC defines "channels".  With the ColorSource series you're restricted to 80 fixtures.  While there are ways to shoehorn around this limitation it can be cumbersome at best.  The desks no doubt have their place as ETC's entry-level offerings and are much more capable than the Smartfade Series they replaced, but they're not a direct swap-out for the aforementioned nor a substitute for a varsity-level console.

The better question to ask is which fixtures do you plan on controlling - both in terms of quantity and complexity?  The ChamSys QuickQ as already mentioned is another option as is the Pathway Cognito2.  Blizzard has a new offering as well called Enigma but lacks the functionality to compete with a real console.  Paired against a ColorSource desk though it might be worth a look - if nothing else for the encoders.  Hope this helps!

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2021, 05:03:22 PM »

Hi Kemper, I can chime in as someone with experience on ColorSource.  I'm not an owner of this series nor a regular user, but here's my two cents.

The ColorSource series of consoles is meant to fill a very specific application - mainly small "coffee shop" stages, houses of worship, and cafeteria auditoriums - venues that can't justify an EOS/ION desk or an MA/Hog, or rely on a single technician to run all tech (lights/sound/video).  While user friendly, this desk is specifically geared towards basic control of LED lights.  The AV variant offers simple media playback, but neither flavor is particularly friendly towards moving lights or complex playback sequencing. 

One significant item to note is how ETC defines "channels".  With the ColorSource series you're restricted to 80 fixtures.  While there are ways to shoehorn around this limitation it can be cumbersome at best.  The desks no doubt have their place as ETC's entry-level offerings and are much more capable than the Smartfade Series they replaced, but they're not a direct swap-out for the aforementioned nor a substitute for a varsity-level console.

The better question to ask is which fixtures do you plan on controlling - both in terms of quantity and complexity?  The ChamSys QuickQ as already mentioned is another option as is the Pathway Cognito2.  Blizzard has a new offering as well called Enigma but lacks the functionality to compete with a real console.  Paired against a ColorSource desk though it might be worth a look - if nothing else for the encoders.  Hope this helps!

See above edit..And thank you

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2021, 07:12:38 PM »

I was looking at the ETC desk, but I downloaded the Chamsys MQ software and played with it and it's more approachable than one whole think.

Chamsys pricing from the usual suspects will be better than what you see online. Very comparable to Colorsource. . .

Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2021, 08:54:59 PM »

See above edit..And thank you

No worries Kemper!  So here's my take...

Based on your criteria you don't need anything special just to playback static scenes and basic chases.  Even some of the late-90s and early 2000s boards can do this easily enough!  To me the deciding criteria should be based on ease of use, programming workflow, and overall flexibility.  Larger consoles leverage this with advanced programming tools such as effects engines, palettes, grouping, and such.  You probably don't need most of that but it's never something I regret having.

Don't get me wrong, the ColorSource is a good board and definitely has its place.  Even as both an owner of ETC consoles and a very strong advocate for the brand, I personally think ColorSource missed the mark for what an entry-level board should be.  Between an excessive reliance on the touchscreen, lack of encoders, and unnecessary arbitrary limitations on fixture count it just leaves me wanting more - especially for the price.

Though I don't have enough direct experience with the QuickQ to have a defendable opinion, the added encoders and dedicated playback section definitely one-up the ColorSource.  I'd personally still like to see a few more tactile buttons in a programming area like the Blizzard Enigma, but that's something I can work around with enough practice - encoders and dedicated playback are must-haves for me, even at the junior varsity level.

In the end both boards will work for you - it just depends which one you feel is the best fit!

John Fruits

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2021, 08:21:31 AM »

One other console you might take a look at is the Zero-88 FLX.  With all the conglomeration of companies they are now part of Strand.
https://www.strandlighting.com/global/products/flx-s24
I have no idea on street price or availability.
One of the usual online sources is B&H.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1653102-REG/strand_lighting_54108_020_spectra_console.html
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

John Schalk

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2021, 10:17:09 AM »

I should have been clearer in my post. I'm not looking for a pro desk or the like. I need a small format desk with the ability to store a scene on a fader/ button. I have less than 30 lights and need something I can reach over, grab a fader to change a scene. The YouTube videos of thee CS look amazingly simple.
What are you using to control the lights today?  If your current solution is software based, does it support mapping to a MIDI controller?  I am a novice lighting person, but have been learning about ENTTEC's DMXIS software and DMX dongle that's installed at a new club where I am mixing.  The software itself is pretty straight forward, but it has a very limited screen size especially on the 11" laptop they bought to run it, so we're looking at getting something like a Behringer X-Touch to interface with the software to give us some physical faders and buttons.  I'm mentioning this because the console you're asking about is in the $2k price range, and DMXIS plus a MIDI controller would cost ~$700.

Note that DMXIS is no longer being sold and I'm not really recommending it as I don't know enough about lighting software to do so.  I just wanted to raise the idea of lighting software plus MIDI hardware that might save you some money.

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2021, 07:49:18 PM »

What are you using to control the lights today?  If your current solution is software based, does it support mapping to a MIDI controller?  I am a novice lighting person, but have been learning about ENTTEC's DMXIS software and DMX dongle that's installed at a new club where I am mixing.  The software itself is pretty straight forward, but it has a very limited screen size especially on the 11" laptop they bought to run it, so we're looking at getting something like a Behringer X-Touch to interface with the software to give us some physical faders and buttons.  I'm mentioning this because the console you're asking about is in the $2k price range, and DMXIS plus a MIDI controller would cost ~$700.

Note that DMXIS is no longer being sold and I'm not really recommending it as I don't know enough about lighting software to do so.  I just wanted to raise the idea of lighting software plus MIDI hardware that might save you some money.

I'm actually using a Smartfade Ml but ETC isn updating the profiles any longer and I'm not sure if I want to tackle the chore of writing new. My lighting guy left and won't be back.. (Long sad story) I would really like to get a modern console, not just a program

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2021, 10:21:37 PM »

I'm actually using a Smartfade Ml but ETC isn updating the profiles any longer and I'm not sure if I want to tackle the chore of writing new. My lighting guy left and won't be back.. (Long sad story) I would really like to get a modern console, not just a program

I hear ya...  Honestly if you're currently using a Smartfade ML I think you'll be disappointed by the ColorSource.  As mentioned further up the ColorSource offers significant improvement for LED control but lacks decent handling for moving lights.  That being said, there's a ColorSource up for sale on the Everything Used: AV Gear Facebook group right now.  With its current asking price I don't think it'll last long.

For additional reading, a while back I wrote a review of my ETC Congo Kid that I bought back in 2014.  (link)  It's still going strong 7 years and counting as my personal-use console.  It's not a board I'd suggest tracking down in 2021 but the decision process I laid out in the review that led me to the Congo Kid is still valid.  In essence, give yourself some actual requirements, browse the field, set a budget, narrow down to two or three options, and demo what you can. 

Talking modern consoles, right now it's MA3 and Hog4 that dominate the music/busking market.  ETC's ION/Eos has the theater market on lock-down, and ChamSys is the honorable mention that pops up on occasion.  If it were me, the Chamsys QuickQ and Pathway Cognito2 would be my short-list consoles for demo, and if you can grow your budget I'd look to the Hedgehog 4X vs. a larger ChamSys desk from the MQ series.  Anything else in my opinion would really be a sidestep from what you already have.  Good luck!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2021, 10:21:37 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.