Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

power cable questions

(1/3) > >>

Sam Saponaro Jr:
couple quick questions
I was going through my cables the other night organizing and replacing a couple plug ends.
I have two cables I got thinking about....one is a 12ga I put a quad on and nice leviton plug but it's from my early days so it was and orange contractor cord I wrapped in black tape to blackout on stage....is that something I can get my ballsbroken for?? I have a couple like that still.
the other is a nice fat 12ga cable but it's 12/4 and I'm only using blk wht and grn I capped the red off in the 4x4 box is that legal?

Stephen Swaffer:

--- Quote from: Sam Saponaro Jr on December 06, 2021, 01:49:39 AM ---couple quick questions
I was going through my cables the other night organizing and replacing a couple plug ends.
I have two cables I got thinking about....one is a 12ga I put a quad on and nice leviton plug but it's from my early days so it was and orange contractor cord I wrapped in black tape to blackout on stage....is that something I can get my ballsbroken for?? I have a couple like that still.
the other is a nice fat 12ga cable but it's 12/4 and I'm only using blk wht and grn I capped the red off in the 4x4 box is that legal?

--- End quote ---

By 4X 4 boxes are you talking the ubiquitous 4 X 4's with knock outs?  Those are a problem in a portable situation because knock outs tend to get knocked out.

The capped red is not a problem.  I suppose if an inspector was being difficult, depending on the box size it might put you over the allowable conductor count-but if that becomes an issue, in most cases you already ticked the inspector off somehow.

Brian Jojade:
The orange extension cord is likely not allowed for stage use.  Covering it in black tape at least hides your shame of having an orange cord on stage, but it still would not be code, as that needs to be SO rated cable.  If it's wrapped in black electrical tape, yeah, balls broken. If you used gaff tape, I'd give you stink eye, but at least a nod for trying.

The 12/4 cable should not be a problem.  I don't think there's anywhere in the code that specifies that all wires need to be connected, although I could be wrong.  But, standard outlet boxes with knockouts are a definite no-no.  Those are designed for permanent install. The knockouts are too easy to accidentally knock out, and worse, the clamping mechanism is designed for a stationary box. Rotation and movement will mean the cable coming loose in the box quite easily.  Code also says that the box should not lay on the stage with the outlet facing UP. You need a box that rests on its side to satisfy code.

Sam Saponaro Jr:
ok good on the 12/4 it's nice 600v soow and I'd hate to not use it.

Jonathan Johnson:
The orange cord is likely SJ- type, usually not considered suitable for stage use. The J means "junior service" and has thinner jacket and thinner insulation, rendering it less durable.

As for the unused conductor, you can cap it off in the box and that'll be OK, but what about the plug end? If you just cut it short, that's probably a no-no, as it's now a conductor that's not properly terminated -- and I don't think I've ever seen a plug with enough room for a wire nut.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version