Church and H.O.W. – Forums for HOW Sound and AV - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Church and HOW Forums > Church Sound

Replacement for Avid SC48

(1/3) > >>

Peter James:
Hi,

We have been using an Avid SC48 for the last ten years.  It has served us well and is still a great console.  However, while it is still working well for us, we are conscious of its age and that at some time something bad will happen and we want to be in a position to act quickly if we need to replace the console.

Unfortunately Avid no longer seem to offer a similar product as the S6L seems to only offer a solution to higher end than we need.  Shame they discontinued the S3L.

What I am looking for is some direction or pointers as to where I should start looking for a replacement.

Some background -
We need 48 input channels and 16 outputs as a minimum. 
Our building holds 500 people but is an odd shape so we are using Matrixes currently to control the different areas and we need to retain this capability.
Our cabling is currently all copper/analog from the console to the stage.  We could run new digital cables, but this would be a bit of a pain.

Tim Weaver:
Please fix your display name to be your actual name. Then we can help you.

Peter James:

--- Quote from: Tim Weaver on December 04, 2021, 10:34:19 AM ---Please fix your display name to be your actual name. Then we can help you.

--- End quote ---

Hi,

I have now updated my profile.  Thanks.

Kevin Maxwell:
Are you using a separate monitor console or a separate broadcast console in this church? How many inputs are you using on the SC48. One of the churches that I have done install work for has an SC48 for FOH and an X32 for broadcast and an X32rack for IEMs. And they are asking a similar question. Because of the existing infrastructure they may be thinking of a WING but I also think they have maxed out the X32rack and the full sized X32 in broadcast so that presents a challenge.   

I’m working with another church that has an X32 full size for FOH an X32rack for IEMs and uses a computer feed from the X32 FOH USB outputs to feed the streaming. They will be moving the X32 at FOH to another facility and putting a WING in place of that.

So it depends on a lot of things especially how much you are willing to spend and what your existing infrastructure is and how many inputs that you will need. Also it depends on the capabilities of the people mixing.

Peter James:

--- Quote from: Kevin Maxwell on December 06, 2021, 06:02:06 PM ---Are you using a separate monitor console or a separate broadcast console in this church? How many inputs are you using on the SC48. One of the churches that I have done install work for has an SC48 for FOH and an X32 for broadcast and an X32rack for IEMs. And they are asking a similar question. Because of the existing infrastructure they may be thinking of a WING but I also think they have maxed out the X32rack and the full sized X32 in broadcast so that presents a challenge.   

I’m working with another church that has an X32 full size for FOH an X32rack for IEMs and uses a computer feed from the X32 FOH USB outputs to feed the streaming. They will be moving the X32 at FOH to another facility and putting a WING in place of that.

So it depends on a lot of things especially how much you are willing to spend and what your existing infrastructure is and how many inputs that you will need. Also it depends on the capabilities of the people mixing.

--- End quote ---

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Can I ask what may eb a dumb question - what is WING?

This is our one and only console.  It operates the main PA, monitors and we have an Aux send to our recording and Livestream.

We probably use 32 channels most services, but more for special events.  48 inputs is working well for us.

In terms of operator capability - they are pretty good and dedicated and not afraid to learn more.  But the reason we went for the SC48 was because it seemed very user friendly once set up.  And fortunately that has worked out. 

In terms of infrastructure, everything is copper.  So initially, we might keep the stage boxes at FOH until we run new cables.

We are in the UK and budget is £30k all in.  We could maybe stretch a little more if absolutely necessary.

It is such a shame that Avid have bailed out of the smaller consoles.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version