ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DMX Software/Interface Recommendations - Mac  (Read 1945 times)

Nate Kuwitzky

DMX Software/Interface Recommendations - Mac
« on: November 30, 2021, 01:17:26 PM »

Hello, I am new to the forum and though it would be a good place to look for lighting solutions/recommendations.

I play bass in a band and we are upgrading our lighting rig.  I have been running our lights with a Chauvet C-2 Foot Controller but now we are adding 4 GoBos and I need more control.  We do not play with a click track, ableton or midi.  I

We have 1x Gigbar 2, 6x Pars, 2x LED bar lights, 4x Gobos and 2 Spider Lights.  We’d like to create a scene to run for each  song and sync it to the live music (like sound active modes on the GigBar).  That would allow me to trigger the scene and play the song without fiddling with lights throughout.

I’d like to switch to a software based controller and interface.  I already tried MyDMX Go with an iPad.  Some of the features were perfect like the sound activation mode through the mic but I need a little
more control over the lights than what it offered.  I’ve considered the MyDMX 3.0 option as well but not sure yet.  I’ve looked at LightKey and SoundSwitch but neither looks like it supports the sound sync functionality that I’m looking for.

What I’m looking for…
DMX Software
Mac Compatable
Sound Activated (able to sync to band through the built in laptop mic or external mic)
Fairly user friendly
Inexpensive yet reliable hardware interface (Enntec? DMXKing? ADJ?) that will work with software and Mac (one universe/512 ch)

Let me know what your recommendations are or if there are other options I’m not thinking of like maybe sending a midi trigger off a drum mic or something (not sure it that would be possible or how to set that up).  Thanks!!

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: DMX Software/Interface Recommendations - Mac
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 03:33:14 PM »

I’ve looked at LightKey and SoundSwitch but neither looks like it supports the sound sync functionality that I’m looking for.

If you're upgrading the lighting system, then you've outgrown the sync to sound ability. 

What you need is a program or light board that you can program, and then you trigger the cues remotely.  Or better yet - have the tech do it.

Lighting is like sound - running lights (or sound) without a sound tech or lighting tech is inherently very limiting. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 06:58:49 PM »

If you're upgrading the lighting system, then you've outgrown the sync to sound ability.

Precisely.  Sound-to-light can roughly guess and make lights blink.  More complex implementations of this can adjust playback speed, but that’s it, and you never know exactly what you’ll get. 

Any real band you see with a synchronized show is either playing to click, timecode, has a dedicated lighting operator, or a combination of the three.  Until you compromise on your requirements you won’t find a suitable solution.  Hope this helps!

Mark Norgren

• Mark Norgren
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2021, 08:31:33 AM »

This is a rabbit hole that I too have been chasing!  When you figure it out, please PM me!  You almost need a dedicated light guy.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2021, 08:31:33 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 22 queries.