Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Lighting Forum

DMX Software/Interface Recommendations - Mac

(1/1)

Nate Kuwitzky:
Hello, I am new to the forum and though it would be a good place to look for lighting solutions/recommendations.

I play bass in a band and we are upgrading our lighting rig.  I have been running our lights with a Chauvet C-2 Foot Controller but now we are adding 4 GoBos and I need more control.  We do not play with a click track, ableton or midi.  I

We have 1x Gigbar 2, 6x Pars, 2x LED bar lights, 4x Gobos and 2 Spider Lights.  Weíd like to create a scene to run for each  song and sync it to the live music (like sound active modes on the GigBar).  That would allow me to trigger the scene and play the song without fiddling with lights throughout.

Iíd like to switch to a software based controller and interface.  I already tried MyDMX Go with an iPad.  Some of the features were perfect like the sound activation mode through the mic but I need a little
more control over the lights than what it offered.  Iíve considered the MyDMX 3.0 option as well but not sure yet.  Iíve looked at LightKey and SoundSwitch but neither looks like it supports the sound sync functionality that Iím looking for.

What Iím looking forÖ
DMX Software
Mac Compatable
Sound Activated (able to sync to band through the built in laptop mic or external mic)
Fairly user friendly
Inexpensive yet reliable hardware interface (Enntec? DMXKing? ADJ?) that will work with software and Mac (one universe/512 ch)

Let me know what your recommendations are or if there are other options Iím not thinking of like maybe sending a midi trigger off a drum mic or something (not sure it that would be possible or how to set that up).  Thanks!!

Caleb Dueck:

--- Quote from: Nate Kuwitzky on November 30, 2021, 01:17:26 PM ---Iíve looked at LightKey and SoundSwitch but neither looks like it supports the sound sync functionality that Iím looking for.

--- End quote ---

If you're upgrading the lighting system, then you've outgrown the sync to sound ability. 

What you need is a program or light board that you can program, and then you trigger the cues remotely.  Or better yet - have the tech do it.

Lighting is like sound - running lights (or sound) without a sound tech or lighting tech is inherently very limiting. 

Jeff Lelko:

--- Quote from: Caleb Dueck on November 30, 2021, 03:33:14 PM ---If you're upgrading the lighting system, then you've outgrown the sync to sound ability.

--- End quote ---

Precisely.  Sound-to-light can roughly guess and make lights blink.  More complex implementations of this can adjust playback speed, but thatís it, and you never know exactly what youíll get. 

Any real band you see with a synchronized show is either playing to click, timecode, has a dedicated lighting operator, or a combination of the three.  Until you compromise on your requirements you wonít find a suitable solution.  Hope this helps!

Mark Norgren:
This is a rabbit hole that I too have been chasing!  When you figure it out, please PM me!  You almost need a dedicated light guy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version