Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

Piano Pickup

<< < (4/4)

Kemper Watson:

--- Quote from: Steven Cohen on December 01, 2021, 06:52:41 AM ---DPA 4099Ps work in just about every situation for us. They deploy quickly, they sound natural, work with any lid position, and mostly "just work" without much fuss at the console.

Over the years, BEs have brought in C-Ducers, Helpistills, Large capsule condensers, small capsule condensers, etc. While some of these solutions worked, they took a long time to deploy, EQ, and some did not sound natural. The DPAs are the best solution we have used. The DPAs will work up to crazy loud stages. After that point, we use SM57s.

--- End quote ---

I can't afford DPA right now because I just bought an Earthworks kit. Will the DM 20's work as well?. I may try them next time. I was using C214.

Riley Casey:
The Earthworks excel at high quality pick up of the source. They don't in my experience excel at high gain before feedback when compared to some other solutions but then I don't have as much experience with the purpose built Earthworks piano mic set up.

--- Quote from: Kemper Watson on December 02, 2021, 06:29:02 AM ---I can't afford DPA right now because I just bought an Earthworks kit. Will the DM 20's work as well?. I may try them next time. I was using C214.

--- End quote ---

Kemper Watson:

--- Quote from: Chris Hindle on November 30, 2021, 06:05:14 PM ---Wow. no curtain?
THAT will solve a world of reflection. Monitors bouncing off the back wall and into the audience for example.
Chris.

--- End quote ---

I'm buying a backdrop before the next series of shows. 40 ft of fire rated velour pipe n drape

Steven Cohen:

--- Quote from: Kemper Watson on December 02, 2021, 06:29:02 AM ---I can't afford DPA right now because I just bought an Earthworks kit. Will the DM 20's work as well?. I may try them next time. I was using C214.

--- End quote ---

I don't have any experience with the DM 20s but its worth trying.

One thing about the DPA 4099 series is that they are designed for many different types of instrument uses. The 4099 series comes is many different models with the main difference being the mounting type boom and bracket or magnet. They even have one for an accordion!

https://www.dpamicrophones.com/instrument/4099-instrument-microphone

A quick comparison of Earthworks PM40 (piano mic) and the DM20 (drum mic) shows two completely different mic capsule specifications. Not saying the DM 20 will not work on a grand piano, if just was not designed for that purpose. 

Tim Weaver:
If the DPA's are out of budget, check out the ATM350 from AT. They are a very solid alternative to the DPA. The only thing is a higher self noise, or worse S/N ratio. But unless you really need to gain them up high you don't notice it. In a piano wouldn't be an issue. It's only an issue when you are trying to mic a mouse fart.

They also have a neat magnetic base which is awesome for the piano.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version