ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: First Monitor Mixing Gig - suggestions?  (Read 4762 times)

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
Re: First Monitor Mixing Gig - suggestions?
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2021, 04:32:14 PM »

Is this the pilot tone I've hard speak of? Is it possible to figure out what that tone is and notch it out as I've seen mentionedm

Here is a good explanation..

https://service.shure.com/s/article/notch-filter-allows-for-best-in-ear-monitor-mix-ever?language=en_US

Douglas Cyr

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2021, 05:35:12 PM »

Douglas Cyr

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2021, 05:36:38 PM »

Remember this:  Whatever goes wrong, it's the monitor engineer's fault. 

Feedback?  Gear on stage doesn't match the rider?  Performer forgot his IEMs?  Huge Snowstorm caused transit delays?

"So sorry, that's TOTALLY my fault."

Once I learned to accept my role as the universal scapegoat, my time in Monitor World became much more harmonious.

... All joking aside - having your OWN monitor, so you can hear what you're sending to the stage, makes a world of difference.  This becomes tricky with both IEMs and Wedges.  If possible, set up a cue wedge of the same model and gain structure as those on stage.  Connect it to the 'monitor' output of the console, so that it plays whatever bus is solo'd (I forget exactly how to do this on M32, but I believe it's in the 'Monitor' settings.)  Then you can use your own IEMs or headphones driven by the headphone jack of the console to supplement.  They should have separate level controls, so you can select which one to monitor.

Then, with a bus solo'd and selected, use sends-on-faders to quickly make adjustments, and hear the results in your cue wedge / cans.  I find this much faster and easier than using the Aux Bus Send encoders from each channel.

Monitor mixing, esp. in soundcheck, is where Tablet Apps really shine.  Go stand next to the performer on stage, listen to exactly what they're hearing, and adjust.

Especially for a Rapper with wedges, I'd plan to ring out the vocal mic really well.  Nothing worse than getting feedback as soon as they ask for 'more me'.   Even with IEMs, you'll want to know your wedges are stable.  Just don't go so far as to totally neuter them.

Good Luck!

Thanks for all the great advice. How would you go about ringing out/positiong/aiming a monitor for a moving wireless mic? I've only ever dealt with wired mics on stands pointed away from monitors.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2021, 06:20:27 PM »

Thanks for all the great advice. How would you go about ringing out/positiong/aiming a monitor for a moving wireless mic? I've only ever dealt with wired mics on stands pointed away from monitors.

Do you have Smaart and know how to use it?

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2021, 06:58:40 PM »

If you are using a full size M/X32, I find it easier and faster to use the four Buss Send encoders (knobs) on the right of the equalizer section.  This way you don't have to select the "sends on fader" mode.  This section is absent from the smaller board versions (Compact & Producer).  "Sends on fader" is good if you are trying to send many inputs to a single monitor buss, but if it's a single input being sent to multiple busses (i.e. kick to each monitor mix in order) the Buss Send is easier and you don't worry about accidentally being or not being in "Fader Flip" mode. You will also want the busses set to post eq.  Good luck!

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2021, 08:40:19 PM »

This is gold! Thank you so much. This directly contradicts advice I was going to follow from this article:
https://www.prosoundweb.com/finding-the-sweet-spot-getting-the-desired-vocal-sound-in-iem-mixes/2/

Look at the EQ curves he references.

I would not dismiss the sage advice of Mr Caipo, who continually mixes artists way more famous than I do. Whatever works to keep people happy and paying you, works. His advice on the low end cuts is something you will hear from every experienced iem mixer.

The other thing I can say is to have a mix already dialed in as much as possible for the iem folks. Nothing turns folks off the iem experience faster than putting their ears in and being in the cone of silence. They'll let you know what they need more or less of.
Talkback mics for the talent (especially those who don't have a vocal mic) are something everyone will appreciate.

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2021, 10:54:41 PM »

If you are using a full size M/X32, I find it easier and faster to use the four Buss Send encoders (knobs) on the right of the equalizer section.  This way you don't have to select the "sends on fader" mode.  This section is absent from the smaller board versions (Compact & Producer).  "Sends on fader" is good if you are trying to send many inputs to a single monitor buss, but if it's a single input being sent to multiple busses (i.e. kick to each monitor mix in order) the Buss Send is easier and you don't worry about accidentally being or not being in "Fader Flip" mode. You will also want the busses set to post eq.  Good luck!

But one of my favorite features of the X32 is in flip on fader you can select an input and your mixbus faders become the target so now you can send on input to a bank of 8 mixes at once. Same on the Compact. Faster to push multiple faders at once than turn multiple knobs.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 11:02:58 PM by Steven Eudaly »

Douglas Cyr

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2021, 11:23:55 PM »

I don't have smart but have used Room EQ Wizard, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to put together a portable RTA aright in time, I recently sold my RTA mic.

Since it's just a vocalist and a DJ I'm sure sends on fader will be fine, I just want to make sure my signal path and processing is on point as it's a nationally famous artist and local celebrity DJ.

To ring out monitors I usually continously push the gain on a microphone until it starts to feed back and keep notching out as I go.

On the vocal IEM send I plan on cutting the filtering the lows about above about 140 hz and boosting a little bit of the air, but not above 15k.

Anything I need to know to make sure FOH and I are configuring the stagebox for a split properly?

Any experience with DJ's? Wouldn't it be easier for him to control his own monitor mix from his controller/mixer, or is it run from the monitor board so I can feed the lead vocal to him?

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2021, 12:00:22 AM »

Any experience with DJ's? Wouldn't it be easier for him to control his own monitor mix from his controller/mixer, or is it run from the monitor board so I can feed the lead vocal to him?

Most pro level DJ's will give you a Left/Right feed to the FOH and a separate "booth" feed that you put in their monitors. Then you add in the vocals or whatever else is in the split between you and FOH.

Douglas Cyr

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2021, 12:07:23 AM »

Most pro level DJ's will give you a Left/Right feed to the FOH and a separate "booth" feed that you put in their monitors. Then you add in the vocals or whatever else is in the split between you and FOH.

Ah makes sense I'll just patch that straight through to his side fills at unity and let him control the level through his mixer.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2021, 12:07:23 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.