ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5G Wifi use  (Read 1025 times)

Stephen Swaffer

5G Wifi use
« on: November 29, 2021, 03:25:26 PM »

I learned yesterday that we added some Hollyland Mars 400s units to a couple of cameras for our video team.  All I can find is that these run on 5 Ghz-I assume the same range as wifi?  Since we have disabled 2.4 Ghz wifi on our access points due to having a few Line 6 mics we have yet to retire.  I am curious as to how forgiving the 5 Ghz band is device wise?  Do I need to be concerned about loosing wifi to tablets being used with the mixer? 

I don't use tablets for mission critical stuff except my A2 uses a tablet behind the scenes to verify mics when we switch out actors/actresses.  My concern is that a momentary drop out requires a tablet to be returned to me to restart the app because I use guided access to restrict app use...
Steve Swaffer

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
Re: 5G Wifi use
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 04:05:41 PM »

{...} I use guided access to restrict app use...

First, for reasons you've just expressed, IMHO this is a terrible idea. My belief is that production-critical controls should only ever be password-protected to prevent tampering by members of the public. Put another way, if you can't trust your own crew with unfettered access to production devices then you need to find better crew. :P

I learned yesterday that we added some Hollyland Mars 400s units to a couple of cameras for our video team.  All I can find is that these run on 5 Ghz-I assume the same range as wifi? {...} I am curious as to how forgiving the 5 Ghz band is device wise?  Do I need to be concerned about loosing wifi to tablets being used with the mixer?
{...}

It looks like it does use the same spectrum as 5GHz Wi-Fi. That said, one of the nice things about the 5GHz Wi-Fi band is the sheer quantity of bandwidth available, so coordinating the video and Wi-Fi signals around each other shouldn't be impossible.

-Russ

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 05:55:57 PM »

Separate from the wifi issue, be careful about the latency. The 300 and 400 series video will be out of sync with separate mics, or hard-wired cameras.
Great for long shots and non-timing critical video.  I had to go to the Cosmo 600 to get low enough latency for 'real-time' hand held live shots.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 06:10:35 PM »

Kind of sort of along the same line I was working a with a system that uses six 5g IEM systems.
When there fired up 5g wifi connections become hit miss ( even trying different channels) and the IEM system is taking way too many RF hits and drop outs.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 12:38:37 PM »

First, for reasons you've just expressed, IMHO this is a terrible idea. My belief is that production-critical controls should only ever be password-protected to prevent tampering by members of the public. Put another way, if you can't trust your own crew with unfettered access to production devices then you need to find better crew. :P

I tend to agree-but someone has to start somewhere.  Given this is an all volunteer show, I have a young man in training.  In any case, I find working with the Mixpad app on an iPad somewhat nerve wracking during a live show-its really easy to hit the wrong button.  What I really want is the ability to login in to the app "read only" for faders.  At some point I hope to be able to trust them-but why leave open the possibility of a mistake?  Plus, by nature of the fact it is used while getting actors mic'd up it is accessible to the actors/actresses and I do NOT trust talent to keep their paws off. ;D

This is the first time I've run into devices running on 5 Ghz besides wifi.  I am slowly getting staff to realize that you can't just keep grabbing cool wireless devices without some sort of co-ordination.
Steve Swaffer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 12:38:37 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.