ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Use Orange Amp as Monitor on Behringer X32 Compact  (Read 2416 times)

Cathy Crump

Use Orange Amp as Monitor on Behringer X32 Compact
« on: November 28, 2021, 07:47:59 PM »

My name is Cathy Crump. Can you hook up an Orange amp to the MON OUT of a Behringer X32 Compact? We have a small choir and want to use it as a monitor in our choir loft. The user manual doesn’t explain in great detail. But it looks like you can just plug directly into the sound board with a 1/4” cable.

Jerome Malsack

Re: Use Orange Amp as Monitor on Behringer X32 Compact
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 12:50:30 PM »

possible, yes,  however depending on the orange amp.  typically, a guitar amp so will have a guitar tone and not a good musical playback speaker. 
would be better sounding when using a powered speaker for floor monitor or main speaker system.    You might be looking at the two monitor outputs on the back of the X32.  It might be best if you looked at using the 8 xlr outputs.  I typically use output 1 to 4 as floor monitor sends for the band. 

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 03:16:42 PM »

+1 with Jerome.

While you'll get sound out of a guitar amp if you plug the input into it, the results most likely will not be that desirable.

Additionally, you'll need to be careful of levels.  Guitar inputs are typically designed for instrument level, not line level.  You'll have to be careful not to run the inputs too hot or you could end up with distortion or a blown monitor speaker.
Brian Jojade

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 10:06:31 PM »

possible, yes,  however depending on the orange amp.  typically, a guitar amp so will have a guitar tone and not a good musical playback speaker. 
would be better sounding when using a powered speaker for floor monitor or main speaker system.    You might be looking at the two monitor outputs on the back of the X32.  It might be best if you looked at using the 8 xlr outputs.  I typically use output 1 to 4 as floor monitor sends for the band.

Agreed with Jerome, don't do it.  A guitar amp is designed to create tone (IE, not be accurate), not to accurately make a signal louder. 

I used to have a 212 guitar combo amp many years ago.  I connected my boombox CD player at the time.  Yes it got loud; no it didn't sound good.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

John Schalk

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 09:31:37 AM »

Cathy,

I agree with the other responses regarding trying to use a guitar amp as a floor monitor.  It sounds like you might be pretty new to the world of sound reinforcement, or at least not that familiar with the Behringer X32 consoles.  One of the great things about the X32 series is the wealth of information about them that is available on YouTube.  I almost always start with a YouTube search first when I need to find out how to do something on the X32 that is new to me.  Odds are very good that someone has had the same problem and created a video explaining the process.  In your case, there is a lot of information on how to create and use monitor mixes on the X32.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=behringer+x32+monitor+mix

Note: As mentioned before, the 1/4" jacks labeled "Monitor" on the back on the X32 Compact are intended for control room monitor speakers so they track the main mix bus.  They're not what you need, but the videos will explain how to do it the right way.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 09:31:37 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.