Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Backing Track System

<< < (2/3) > >>

John L Nobile:

--- Quote from: Andrew Watts on November 28, 2021, 01:00:51 AM ---I am working with a band to get a new backing track system up that needs to be able to provide multi output audio, and also midi out for patch changes / lighting etc. Is there anyone in this forum with experience who would be happy to have a chat about it.

--- End quote ---

I used Logic for years to control all those things including an elaborate lighting show. I even changed patches on the guitar players rig.

I would think that any pro DAW would do the job. Logic was my choice because I knew it well. I'd suggest that you use something you're familiar with as life is too short to learn another DAW. Those things are complicated.

Andrew Broughton:
What I found useful about LiveTraker (it was a few years ago) was that it's super-easy to move your set list around (drag/drop), it had written cues (or lyrics) that sync to parts of a track, very simple to adjust output levels and routing, and even a drummer can work it! ;-)
No extra crap like processing or plug-ins and the additional complexity of a DAW. Just what you need to play tracks and do it easily. Hadn't really seen anything that was 100% designed for simplicity to use live.

Bob Charest:

--- Quote from: Andrew Watts on November 28, 2021, 01:00:51 AM ---I am working with a band to get a new backing track system up that needs to be able to provide multi output audio, and also midi out for patch changes / lighting etc. Is there anyone in this forum with experience who would be happy to have a chat about it.

--- End quote ---
Hi Andrew,

I created backing tracks in ProTools, and have all the separate audio files used for tracking playing through Ableton Live 10. I also have continuous control data running through Max4Live CC to Program Change to send MIDI PC data to a LanBox LCM light controller for cues.

Ableton is running on a MacMini and connects to a Behringer X32-Rack via USB. 8 actual analog XLR inputs(4 Shure ULX-D, 2 for stereo keys(me), and 2 more for my daughter’s keys or 2 single inputs for guest players.) The remaining 24 channels are for tracks. Break music from the MacMini gets to the mixer via Aux In Remap(uses Aux1 & Aux2.) Talkback (we’re on IEMs) is through the talkback input on the X32-Rack.

Happy to chat about it!

Best regards,
Bob Charest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John L Nobile:

--- Quote from: Bob Charest on November 29, 2021, 10:05:39 PM ---Hi Andrew,

I also have continuous control data running through Max4Live CC to Program Change to send MIDI PC data to a LanBox LCM light controller for cues.

--- End quote ---

I used a Lanbox for at least 5 years. I had pros come in to program it every year and they hated it. Powerful box but the user interface was clunky and updates were few or non-existent. Eventually got a GrandMa on PC and life became much easier for the programmers and for me to trigger lighting cues.

Bob Charest:

--- Quote from: John L Nobile on November 30, 2021, 11:04:56 AM ---I used a Lanbox for at least 5 years. I had pros come in to program it every year and they hated it. Powerful box but the user interface was clunky and updates were few or non-existent. Eventually got a GrandMa on PC and life became much easier for the programmers and for me to trigger lighting cues.

--- End quote ---
Can’t argue about the interface, for sure! :-) Having to program it through the serial interface was a pain!

Agreed as well about updates… When I first got it, the form-factor was just what was needed. Fokko van Duin was super helpful to me when I was first creating profiles, but since his passing some years ago things changed.

Ours was a particular case where we only needed 10 scenes, triggered from a modified FCB1010, so once it was set up, I never had to touch it again.

Still using the same scenes, so for a static user like me it works.

Best regards,
Bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version