ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Backing Track System  (Read 2065 times)

Andrew Watts

Backing Track System
« on: November 28, 2021, 01:00:51 AM »

I am working with a band to get a new backing track system up that needs to be able to provide multi output audio, and also midi out for patch changes / lighting etc. Is there anyone in this forum with experience who would be happy to have a chat about it.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
Re: Backing Track System
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2021, 10:38:32 AM »

-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2021, 10:45:58 AM »

Digital Performer can do this as well.
We use an iConnectivity Playaudio12 to interface with the audio system and to send midi to the keyboard rig. For this next run it is also sending timecode to the video server.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2021, 10:51:35 AM »

How has your experience been with the PlayAudio12? I'm considering switching from a Radial SW8 and RME interface to a single PlayAudio12, but concerned about the quality.
-Andy

Jared Bartimus

• Normal, IL
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2021, 06:12:41 PM »

I don't have much experience with it but the cymatic utrack24 and lp-16 can both play back a midi file along with the tracks if you want a hardware solution.  Looks like you can link up to four of the utracks so you could play back up to four MIDI files to various devices if you couldn't just use one file with different channels.

John L Nobile

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 11:06:36 AM »

I am working with a band to get a new backing track system up that needs to be able to provide multi output audio, and also midi out for patch changes / lighting etc. Is there anyone in this forum with experience who would be happy to have a chat about it.

I used Logic for years to control all those things including an elaborate lighting show. I even changed patches on the guitar players rig.

I would think that any pro DAW would do the job. Logic was my choice because I knew it well. I'd suggest that you use something you're familiar with as life is too short to learn another DAW. Those things are complicated.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 11:28:06 AM »

What I found useful about LiveTraker (it was a few years ago) was that it's super-easy to move your set list around (drag/drop), it had written cues (or lyrics) that sync to parts of a track, very simple to adjust output levels and routing, and even a drummer can work it! ;-)
No extra crap like processing or plug-ins and the additional complexity of a DAW. Just what you need to play tracks and do it easily. Hadn't really seen anything that was 100% designed for simplicity to use live.
-Andy

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2021, 10:05:39 PM »

Hi Andrew,

I created backing tracks in ProTools, and have all the separate audio files used for tracking playing through Ableton Live 10. I also have continuous control data running through Max4Live CC to Program Change to send MIDI PC data to a LanBox LCM light controller for cues.

Ableton is running on a MacMini and connects to a Behringer X32-Rack via USB. 8 actual analog XLR inputs(4 Shure ULX-D, 2 for stereo keys(me), and 2 more for my daughter’s keys or 2 single inputs for guest players.) The remaining 24 channels are for tracks. Break music from the MacMini gets to the mixer via Aux In Remap(uses Aux1 & Aux2.) Talkback (we’re on IEMs) is through the talkback input on the X32-Rack.

Happy to chat about it!

Best regards,
Bob Charest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John L Nobile

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2021, 11:04:56 AM »

Hi Andrew,

I also have continuous control data running through Max4Live CC to Program Change to send MIDI PC data to a LanBox LCM light controller for cues.

I used a Lanbox for at least 5 years. I had pros come in to program it every year and they hated it. Powerful box but the user interface was clunky and updates were few or non-existent. Eventually got a GrandMa on PC and life became much easier for the programmers and for me to trigger lighting cues.

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2021, 03:15:00 PM »

I used a Lanbox for at least 5 years. I had pros come in to program it every year and they hated it. Powerful box but the user interface was clunky and updates were few or non-existent. Eventually got a GrandMa on PC and life became much easier for the programmers and for me to trigger lighting cues.
Can’t argue about the interface, for sure! :-) Having to program it through the serial interface was a pain!

Agreed as well about updates… When I first got it, the form-factor was just what was needed. Fokko van Duin was super helpful to me when I was first creating profiles, but since his passing some years ago things changed.

Ours was a particular case where we only needed 10 scenes, triggered from a modified FCB1010, so once it was set up, I never had to touch it again.

Still using the same scenes, so for a static user like me it works.

Best regards,
Bob

John L Nobile

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2021, 03:36:43 PM »

Can’t argue about the interface, for sure! :-) Having to program it through the serial interface was a pain!

Agreed as well about updates… When I first got it, the form-factor was just what was needed. Fokko van Duin was super helpful to me when I was first creating profiles, but since his passing some years ago things changed.

Ours was a particular case where we only needed 10 scenes, triggered from a modified FCB1010, so once it was set up, I never had to touch it again.

Still using the same scenes, so for a static user like me it works.

Best regards,
Bob

I just googled Lanbox and it's still for sale though it doesn't look like anything has changed. But for the price, it's a powerful controller. We were using it to control 80 conventional and a couple of dozen LED's as well as 4 movers. One guy programmed 880 scenes for a show. I had him trigger cues while I ran the show and recorded them as midi events. Then I assigned tose to different cues and fine tuned the placement. Took at least a full day.

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2021, 04:39:09 PM »

How has your experience been with the PlayAudio12? I'm considering switching from a Radial SW8 and RME interface to a single PlayAudio12, but concerned about the quality.

So far so good. We have had it out since July and it has bounced around in a truck quite a bit in the last few months.

We used to have a custom Cox Audio switcher in this role. Way back when that was one of the only quality options. That thing is built like a tank and puts out about +8. Lots of miles without any hiccups.
The playback person wanted some of the features that the PlayAudio12 offers for routing, etc.
The keyboard tech is also using some iConnectivity boxes in that rig with great success.

Magnus Högkvist

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2021, 03:44:04 PM »

I'm using Cubase as DAW and arranging the Backing Tracks with the "Arranger Track". As sound card I have a RME MADI FX. Gives me 192 channels... and MIDI out. Been using this system for seven years.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2021, 03:44:04 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.