ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this DriveRack needed?  (Read 4612 times)

Curtis McGill

Is this DriveRack needed?
« on: November 27, 2021, 06:27:41 PM »

Our church is running a pair of Bose F1 812 speaker/sub combos into a DriveRack. We have a Compact X32 board. We are running mono. Our room is 36' wide by 50' deep and the ceiling starts at 9' angling up to 13' down the middle. The speakers are sitting on the front corners of the platform (they are just outside of the attached picture).

My question is this: do we really need the DriveRack? I didn't set things up and no one here knows anything about it. What would be the pros and cons of keeping it or not using it. I don't know enough to just go messing around if I have to put it back.

Thanks!

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Is this DriveRack needed?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 06:53:37 PM »

The Drive Rack may be left over from the system that used the center speaker in the picture.
Actually is that center hung speaker still being used?

All of the processing is built into the speakers but having the main system room EQ take place outside of the mixer and locked down is not a bad thing.

What model Drive Rack is it?

Curtis McGill

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 07:42:09 PM »

The Drive Rack may be left over from the system that used the center speaker in the picture.

All of the processing is built into the speakers but having the main system room EQ take place outside of the mixer and locked down is not a bad thing.

I believe the DriveRack was put in with the current system. I don't know if it was used prior to this system.

The center speaker is not being used. It was just never taken down.

I believe it is the PA2 but I will have to check tomorrow.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2021, 10:44:43 PM »

With many sets of hands on things they may or may not understand it's probably a very good thing - probably why it's there.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2021, 11:45:35 PM »

The PA2 is not so bad and has good remote app interface.
Has the new system been set using the PA2?

What was the issue with one central hung speaker.

You mentioned the F1 speakers were at the outside edge of the picture, putting speakers
like the F1 that have a very wide horizontal coverage pattern beside a wall is not best thing to do.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2021, 11:59:25 PM »

Do you NEED the DriveRack? No, probably not. The X32 compact could do just about everything that the DriveRack does.

But -- If you have people messing with stuff that don't know what they are doing, you could end up with configurations that are horribly bad, and potentially cause damage.  Separating the EQ and limiting settings to a separate box that nobody touches simplifies things for those using the X32.
Brian Jojade

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2021, 12:20:20 AM »

Do you NEED the DriveRack? No, probably not. The X32 compact could do just about everything that the DriveRack does.

But -- If you have people messing with stuff that don't know what they are doing, you could end up with configurations that are horribly bad, and potentially cause damage.  Separating the EQ and limiting settings to a separate box that nobody touches simplifies things for those using the X32.
Yes, yes and yes.

Put a password on the Driverack and/or use the dbx control application and download the presets so it can be easily restored.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2021, 09:12:48 AM »

think of it this way,  set the output of the mixer to flat for doing multiple outputs,  FOH, Monitors, broadcast, and recording.   Now you can adjust the driverack to correct for the room.  So yes keep and use. 

Curtis McGill

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2021, 01:31:58 PM »

The PA2 is not so bad and has good remote app interface.
Has the new system been set using the PA2?

What was the issue with one central hung speaker.

You mentioned the F1 speakers were at the outside edge of the picture, putting speakers
like the F1 that have a very wide horizontal coverage pattern beside a wall is not best thing to do.

The previous speakers in there were the Sanctuary series and they had some delay speakers in the back of the room too and things were just a mess. I do remember that. Other than that there was nothing wrong with the speakers.

Do you have alternative suggestions on current speaker placement?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 05:25:41 PM by Curtis McGill »

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2021, 08:15:25 PM »

The previous speakers in there were the Sanctuary series and they had some delay speakers in the back of the room too and things were just a mess. I do remember that. Other than that there was nothing wrong with the speakers.

Do you have alternative suggestions on current speaker placement?

I'm guessing your old system just needed properly set up as you mentioned that the
speakers themselves worked fine.

But now that you got the Bose system try moving them away from the walls some and see if that makes any noticeable difference.

It may be a hard sell at this point to the powers that be but maybe have someone who really knows what their doing come in and go through the existing system, you maybe surprised what had all along that was never set up correctly.

Use the Bose for community church services in the park type of things.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2021, 08:15:25 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 23 queries.