ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Please explain the Digico console lineup to me?  (Read 12082 times)

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
Re: Please explain the Digico console lineup to me?
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2021, 12:49:31 PM »

I would modify the other poster's "probably not" answer to "not a snowballs chance in hell."

I was being generous. I suspect that it would probably be better to sub an M32 for an SD series. The visiting engineer probably has a show file for that.

DiGiCo S series gets no love, even though it's a nice console at a pretty good price point.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2021, 02:34:30 PM »

I was being generous. I suspect that it would probably be better to sub an M32 for an SD series. The visiting engineer probably has a show file for that.

DiGiCo S series gets no love, even though it's a nice console at a pretty good price point.

Digico S sounds pretty good, a lot better than the A&H offerings mentioned earlier.
But the UI is «interesting»….

I owned a Digico SD for years, the transition to S31 was not easy the first time I meet one on the road.

John L Nobile

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2021, 02:52:36 PM »

That would depend on why I had speced the SD.  I personally just strongly prefer the workflow and flexibility of the SD desks.  I haven’t been on a S in a few years but my last experience left me very wanting compared to the SD.  It’s been long enough that I can’t remember the specifics.

I'm starting to think that an S31 would have a better chance at being accepted than any other board in that price range. Midas Pro series and Profiles are old. Never seen A&H on a rider here. I see "no Midas M Series" on riders. Maybe a Yamaha CL or QL series?

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2021, 03:15:08 PM »

I'm starting to think that an S31 would have a better chance at being accepted than any other board in that price range. Midas Pro series and Profiles are old. Never seen A&H on a rider here. I see "no Midas M Series" on riders. Maybe a Yamaha CL or QL series?

My perception is that the S21/31 suffer from the fact that they have like a dozen older brothers that are all tall, good looking, and extremely successful. Meanwhile they're the "redheaded step child" that's relegated to the kids table at all the family gatherings.

Think about it. Yamaha has basically the PM line, the CL/QL line, and the TF line. 3 very different price points and customers with little to no overlap. A&H has dLive, Avantis, and SQ. Again pretty easy to sort out. Other manufacturers have similar lineups. But Digico has 14 SD consoles that are all somewhat interchangeable with a TON of overlap, and then these two little guys at the bottom of the line that, at least on the surface, have basically nothing in common with their big brothers. No wonder no one takes them seriously.

I used an s31 recently and it was fine, but definitely felt like a "cheap" console. That's not a bad thing necessarily. I've made a lot of money using X/M32 consoles. But yeah, there's no way that anyone wanting an SD is gonna go for an S. Smaller/Older SD than they want? maybe. But yes, if you want a lower end console that will pass the "Rider" test, even as a distant third choice, you'd likely do better with an M32. Nobody "likes" them, but nearly everyone below A-list has a show file for them.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2021, 03:16:01 PM »

If I needed a console "right now" I would pick up a used Midas Pro series. Still one of the best sounding consoles out there.
In fact I did, got myself a Pro2 and a Pro6 during the last year for way less money than buying anything else.
If you get one with the right I/O, you can use that later on if you wish to get a HD-96.

John L Nobile

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2021, 03:45:14 PM »

Always get great responses here. Looks like board rentals are in my future and I'll upgrade to something that I like and fits the budget.

Brian, you're right about the M32. Everyone has a show file for M/X32. In the meantime, let's see what new offerings are available in the new year. A new "M32" model might be what I need.

I won't be getting a console right now Helge. We're getting new owners so I'll have to see what they'll throw at me after the dust settles. I really like Midas boards but I've yet to see one on a rider list that comes across my desk at this venue. But since I'll be renting rider boards, I might consider a Pro2 or better.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2021, 07:15:01 PM »

Always get great responses here. Looks like board rentals are in my future and I'll upgrade to something that I like and fits the budget.

Brian, you're right about the M32. Everyone has a show file for M/X32. In the meantime, let's see what new offerings are available in the new year. A new "M32" model might be what I need.

I won't be getting a console right now Helge. We're getting new owners so I'll have to see what they'll throw at me after the dust settles. I really like Midas boards but I've yet to see one on a rider list that comes across my desk at this venue. But since I'll be renting rider boards, I might consider a Pro2 or better.

Be sure to ask your local MT dealer about the B-Stock specials running on Midas Pro desks right now. They are being blown out to make up fr a lack of M32's
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2021, 08:08:30 PM »

Be sure to ask your local MT dealer about the B-Stock specials running on Midas Pro desks right now. They are being blown out to make up fr a lack of M32's
Indeed!  That offer came by here as well.  Pro2-TP for ~$8.5k?  We passed.
..db

Brandon Wright

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2021, 09:10:41 PM »

Digico S sounds pretty good, a lot better than the A&H offerings mentioned earlier.
But the UI is «interesting»….

I owned a Digico SD for years, the transition to S31 was not easy the first time I meet one on the road.

Really? At this point how can anything sound "a lot" better, or even different, than anything else. Especially between two consoles that share a parent company and ostensibly a good chunk of r&d and hardware? I've been on both, albeit not at the same time. I'd be interested to hear the basis for this conclusion.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2021, 04:28:35 AM »

Really? At this point how can anything sound "a lot" better, or even different, than anything else. Especially between two consoles that share a parent company and ostensibly a good chunk of r&d and hardware? I've been on both, albeit not at the same time. I'd be interested to hear the basis for this conclusion.

Try mixing a few shows on them in controlled listening environments and listen to the basic operation of EQ and comps. :) (Not talking about reverbs here,  that has it's own can of worms).
To my ears, they behave differently, and they are voiced differently.
Good/bad? Depends on your application.
Digico SD, as an example, has a super clean EQ. Perfect if you want it, I just find it plain boring for mixing music.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2021, 04:28:35 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.