ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Please explain the Digico console lineup to me?  (Read 12495 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Please explain the Digico console lineup to me?
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2021, 06:53:51 PM »

Thanks to all for the replies. It has been informative.

I will say that I'm very happy that I am NOT five, because it appears that explaining this for five year old me would in fact be impossible.

So I've got a couple of takeaways so far.

1. SD consoles were basically named for the year they were released. Which I will go on record as saying is really really dumb. Naming something with a numbering convention that has NO bearing on its functionality just defies any and all logical thinking. But there it is. At least I see where it came from. Is this where the D1 and D5 got their names?

2. I can derive some reasonable sense of where these consoles sit relative to each other by simply looking at the Digico website and seeing how the consoles are listed on the products page. They are clearly listed more or less from most capable to least capable, with I'm sure some key overlaps. But close enough. That is helpful for me to understand what it means when someone says they've got an SD5 at FOH and an SD10 at Monitors or whatever.

3. Understanding that the SD5 was named as an homage to the D5 helps me understand this Unicorn of Naming. I'm not sure given my experience with the D5 that I would want to be doing an Homage to said console but I digress...

4. The new naming scheme is based on faders and screens. I guess this makes sense. ish. Still doesn't seem to bear any direct relationship with actual capability, which would kinda be nice. But whatever.

5. S-series desks are different beasts. But I kinda knew that. Still good to have that documented somewhere

Thanks to all for the info, and I welcome and more that can be added. I'm especially interested in overlap between console models as well anyone's crystal ball with regards to which desks are expected to be retired first/soon. I know some of that was referenced above with the reference to "core 2" software likely being the last step for a number of the desks, but anything anyone would like to add would be great.

Thanks to all for the attempt to educate me. It really is very much appreciated as I really truly have not understood the Digico naming thing. now I at least know that not understanding it is actually understandable.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2021, 07:34:48 PM »

Thanks for that info

Reason I'm asking is that I may finally get some money to spend on my rig next year and 1st on my list is replacing the X32's. I'll never get enough of a budget for an SD10 etc, but a pair of S31's might be doable. I'm wondering if that would fulfill some of the riders I get. 3 weeks ago I had to rent 2 Digicos. They sent an SD10 and a Quantum for monitors. Nice but not cheap. This Sat I'm renting an Avid Profile and I'm sure I'll be getting SL6 requests in the future.

Digico's seem to be the most rider-friendly board in this area so I'm curious as to whether S21/31 would be acceptable for bands that ask for Digico/Avid and need up to 40 inputs.

A S series console would not be an acceptable substitute for a SD desk in most people’s eyes.  If I was expecting a SD I’d be pretty unhappy if someone substituted in a S.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2021, 07:53:17 PM »

{...}
4. The new naming scheme is based on faders and screens. I guess this makes sense. ish. Still doesn't seem to bear any direct relationship with actual capability, which would kinda be nice. But whatever.
{...}

My impression is that, outside of some very specific applications, the consoles' actually capabilities aren't typically much of a limiting factor in the DiGiCo line-up. For example, outside of the 48-input S-series, DiGiCo currently doesn't sell a console with fewer than 72 inputs, 24 aux/buses, or a 12x8 matrix section.

{...} I'm especially interested in overlap between console models {}

If you're looking for a console with two fader banks and at least 72 channels, the SD8-24, SD9, SD10-24, SD12 (any version), and Quantum 225 are all suitable. If you're looking for a console with three fader banks and at least 120 inputs, the SD8, SD10, SD5 (any version), SD7, Quantum 338, Quantum 5, and Quantum 7 are all suitable. (How's that for overlap!)

{...} anyone's crystal ball with regards to which desks are expected to be retired first/soon {...}

The SD8 and SD9 are the oldest SD-series consoles still running exclusively on their original hardware (and, with their cheaper price-point, have probably been poaching SD10, SD12, and maybe even Quantum sales), but the SD10 and SD11 aren't really any much newer, so a piecemeal EOL of the SD-series seems unlikely at this point (save, perhaps, for the much newer, and still ostensibly under active development, SD12). My guess is that DiGiCo will probably fill out their Quantum line-up a bit more before they start looking to discontinue the SD-series (assuming they can still get the parts to manufacture a 13-plus-year-old console, that is).

-Russ

John L Nobile

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2021, 11:14:11 AM »

A S series console would not be an acceptable substitute for a SD desk in most people’s eyes.  If I was expecting a SD I’d be pretty unhappy if someone substituted in a S.

Nobody likes surprises in audio. But if you had an SD desk in your rider and I contacted you to say that we had an S31, would you be OK with that?

eytan gidron

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2021, 11:45:35 AM »

Hi,

I also thought that the SD series console names are derived from the year that they came out, it can seem that way but the name is derived from the order sequence in which they came out -

SD7 (2007) was the first of the series and it was the first that pioneered the new FPGA technology which is used in all SD, Quantum and S consoles. This console has the most channel count than all the others, more knobs and faders and more screens (it has 7 screens - 3 touch control screens, 3 screens for the metering and one small video screen). This console is still one of the most demanded in large productions.

SD8 (2008) - 1 screen, 37 faders
SD9 (2009) - 1 screen, 24 faders
SD10 (2010) - almost the same console as SD8 - 1 screen, 37 faders
SD11 - AFAIK also came out in 2010 - 1 screen, 12 faders
SD5 - I think it came out in 2012 or 2013. It is named as a homage to the D5 as someone mentioned here. 3 screens, 37 faders
SD12 (2017) - 2 screens, 26 faders

Then came the Quantum versions of the SD7 and SD5 (which are now named Quantum 7 and Quantum 5)

After that you have the Quantum 338 (2020) - 3 screens, 38 faders and the Quantum 225 (2021) - 1 screen, 25 faders

Regarding the rider acceptability of the S series - you cannot convert SD console files to the S series. I don't believe that if someone asks for a DiGiCo console, he will accept a S console instead of an SD. At least that is how it is where I come from, and I believe that is the same everywhere.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2021, 02:56:47 PM »

Nobody likes surprises in audio. But if you had an SD desk in your rider and I contacted you to say that we had an S31, would you be OK with that?

Probably not, the desk UI's are completely and radically different and show files aren't compatible. AFAIK there is no simple way to convert from one to the other, either.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

John L Nobile

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2021, 03:15:54 PM »

Probably not, the desk UI's are completely and radically different and show files aren't compatible. AFAIK there is no simple way to convert from one to the other, either.

Thanks. Think I'll scrap that idea. I'll get a board that fits my budget that I'll use and rent boards for the big boys.

gordonmcgregor

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2021, 04:22:21 PM »

Thanks. Think I'll scrap that idea. I'll get a board that fits my budget that I'll use and rent boards for the big boys.

Take a look at the Allen and Heath Dlive C series a LOT of functionality and easily scaled up and down to suit your needs.
#

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2021, 10:02:39 AM »

I would modify the other poster's "probably not" answer to "not a snowballs chance in hell."
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2021, 11:55:16 AM »

That would depend on why I had speced the SD.  I personally just strongly prefer the workflow and flexibility of the SD desks.  I haven’t been on a S in a few years but my last experience left me very wanting compared to the SD.  It’s been long enough that I can’t remember the specifics.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2021, 11:55:16 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.