Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: GPIO  (Read 2021 times)

Jared Bartimus

• Normal, IL
Re: GPIO
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2021, 06:22:15 PM »

Certainly a pain in the lower back.. Maybe there was some reason we're not aware of that lighting went the other way.

Sent from my RMX1931 using Tapatalk

Reducing the chance of damaging the lighting controller?  Bent pins, shorted outputs and static discharge risk is all reduced by putting the female connectors on the controller.

Similarly on an audio mixer the connectors that are more likely to be disconnected/reconnected regularly and left with a loose connector laying around to be accidentally touched/zapped (input lines) has the female connector.

That may not have been the original intent they are some of the benefits you get.

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2021, 09:32:55 AM »

You don’t have 48V on exposed terminals with the audio config.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is true.

But I have gotten a good jolt from an XLR line output under test!

Marc Sibilia

• Princeton, New Jersey
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2021, 10:08:14 AM »

The backwards logic of that angers me a little bit.  Sort of like how DMX is backwards compared to audio lines in the male/female signal flow concept.

There is a good engineering reason for doing it that way.  If you accidently short together male input pins with the connector shell while mating the connectors, no harm is done.  If you short together male output pins that are at opposite levels, things can be damaged if the protection circuitry is inadequate.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2021, 08:21:37 AM »

...Maybe there was some reason we're not aware of that lighting went the other way.
Whatever the reason, I'm glad it moved to (predominantly) 5-pin XLR.

Prior to DMX, a lot of shoebox dimmer packs used Microplex - analog control signal on a 3-pin XLR connection that sent power down the line to power smaller lighting boards.

Plug THAT into your mixer and you would be one unhappy camper...
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2021, 08:21:37 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 24 queries.