Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Speaker Wire Gauge For Jumpers

(1/7) > >>

Douglas Cyr:
Hello,

What is the lowest gauge I could get away with for NL4 jumpers 3-10 feet in length? The use would be a biamped system with the highest voltage being 90vRMS for the subs.

The rest of my speaker cable for the 25-50 foot runs would be 12 gauge, the tops are 4 Ohms nominal and the subs are 8 Ohms nominal.

Thanks,
Douglas Cyr

Mike Monte:

--- Quote from: Douglas Cyr on November 26, 2021, 12:56:25 AM ---Hello,

What is the lowest gauge I could get away with for NL4 jumpers 3-10 feet in length? The use would be a biamped system with the highest voltage being 90vRMS for the subs.

The rest of my speaker cable for the 25-50 foot runs would be 12 gauge, the tops are 4 Ohms nominal and the subs are 8 Ohms nominal.

Thanks,
Douglas Cyr

--- End quote ---

My 15 ft (and longer) NL4 cables are all 12 gauge.  I made them myself.
I have four 10' jumpers which are also 12 gauge.  I made them myself.
I have a bunch of 3-6 foot jumpers that are 14 gauge which I bought locally when many people switched over to their active cabs so I got them for cheap (really cheap).
If I were to make more jumpers I'd just stick with 12 gauge just to makes things easy/uniform
but
the above being said: my 14 gauge jumpers work fine for my applications and due to their thinner cable, thus they are are easier to work in my bi-amp rigs.

Steve-White:

--- Quote from: Mike Monte on November 26, 2021, 07:24:32 AM ---My 15 ft (and longer) NL4 cables are all 12 gauge.  I made them myself.
I have four 10' jumpers which are also 12 gauge.  I made them myself.
I have a bunch of 3-6 foot jumpers that are 14 gauge which I bought locally when many people switched over to their active cabs so I got them for cheap (really cheap).
If I were to make more jumpers I'd just stick with 12 gauge just to makes things easy/uniform
but
the above being said: my 14 gauge jumpers work fine for my applications and due to their thinner cable, thus they are are easier to work in my bi-amp rigs.

--- End quote ---

You stole my post.  :)

Word for word agree and have done and would do same thing.

Robert Piascik:
Not trying to be snarky, but who cares? 1) can anyone hear a difference between 12AWG and 14 AWG jumpers? 2) why would you use something different than 12 AWG (to save literally pennies?)
What is your reason for wanting to use something different other than 12AWG?

Doug Fowler:

--- Quote from: Douglas Cyr on November 26, 2021, 12:56:25 AM ---Hello,

Thanks,
Douglas Cyr

--- End quote ---

Pick your wire gauge and length, then calculate voltage drop.   That’s all you really need to know.  Avoid sub jumpers when possible but if you must calculate the loss in damping factor. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version