ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Speaker Wire Gauge For Jumpers  (Read 4552 times)

Douglas Cyr

Speaker Wire Gauge For Jumpers
« on: November 26, 2021, 12:56:25 AM »

Hello,

What is the lowest gauge I could get away with for NL4 jumpers 3-10 feet in length? The use would be a biamped system with the highest voltage being 90vRMS for the subs.

The rest of my speaker cable for the 25-50 foot runs would be 12 gauge, the tops are 4 Ohms nominal and the subs are 8 Ohms nominal.

Thanks,
Douglas Cyr

Mike Monte

• My website
Re: Speaker Wire Gauge For Jumpers
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2021, 07:24:32 AM »

Hello,

What is the lowest gauge I could get away with for NL4 jumpers 3-10 feet in length? The use would be a biamped system with the highest voltage being 90vRMS for the subs.

The rest of my speaker cable for the 25-50 foot runs would be 12 gauge, the tops are 4 Ohms nominal and the subs are 8 Ohms nominal.

Thanks,
Douglas Cyr

My 15 ft (and longer) NL4 cables are all 12 gauge.  I made them myself.
I have four 10' jumpers which are also 12 gauge.  I made them myself.
I have a bunch of 3-6 foot jumpers that are 14 gauge which I bought locally when many people switched over to their active cabs so I got them for cheap (really cheap).
If I were to make more jumpers I'd just stick with 12 gauge just to makes things easy/uniform
but
the above being said: my 14 gauge jumpers work fine for my applications and due to their thinner cable, thus they are are easier to work in my bi-amp rigs.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2021, 07:26:38 AM »

My 15 ft (and longer) NL4 cables are all 12 gauge.  I made them myself.
I have four 10' jumpers which are also 12 gauge.  I made them myself.
I have a bunch of 3-6 foot jumpers that are 14 gauge which I bought locally when many people switched over to their active cabs so I got them for cheap (really cheap).
If I were to make more jumpers I'd just stick with 12 gauge just to makes things easy/uniform
but
the above being said: my 14 gauge jumpers work fine for my applications and due to their thinner cable, thus they are are easier to work in my bi-amp rigs.

You stole my post.  :)

Word for word agree and have done and would do same thing.

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2021, 08:46:13 AM »

Not trying to be snarky, but who cares? 1) can anyone hear a difference between 12AWG and 14 AWG jumpers? 2) why would you use something different than 12 AWG (to save literally pennies?)
What is your reason for wanting to use something different other than 12AWG?
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2021, 11:04:08 AM »

Hello,

Thanks,
Douglas Cyr

Pick your wire gauge and length, then calculate voltage drop.   That’s all you really need to know.  Avoid sub jumpers when possible but if you must calculate the loss in damping factor. 

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2021, 12:12:36 PM »

2) why would you use something different than 12 AWG (to save literally pennies?)

Agreed. Especially when ordering 12 AWG by the spool and building one's own. Ordering lesser lengths of smaller gauge cable would only bring up the unit cost.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2021, 02:47:27 PM »

Pick your wire gauge and length, then calculate voltage drop.   That’s all you really need to know. {...}

This isn't quite accurate: over longer runs, the capacitive effects of a cable combine with its resistive effects to produce a low-pass filter.

This is almost certainly not an issue for a 10' jumper, but for longer runs it can become an important factor.

-Russ

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Speaker Wire Gauge For Jumpers
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2021, 03:11:03 PM »

This isn't quite accurate: over longer runs, the capacitive effects of a cable combine with its resistive effects to produce a low-pass filter.

This is almost certainly not an issue for a 10' jumper, but for longer runs it can become an important factor.

-Russ
On mic lines over 1000ft sure. Speaker lines?? I am going to have to ask you to show your work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2021, 03:29:56 PM »

-Russ

At the distances for the low pass to come into play you would put the amp closer. At line level I've run analog STP (multicable or 8451) 3000' with no ill effects.

Mac

Douglas Cyr

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2021, 03:39:36 PM »

Agreed. Especially when ordering 12 AWG by the spool and building one's own. Ordering lesser lengths of smaller gauge cable would only bring up the unit cost.

Dave

I like to order 12/4 SJOOW and build my own, but I currently have new speakers in need of jumpers and don't have new 12/4 yet.

What I do have is 100's of feet of 18/2 solid core install cable, so I was considering making short NL4 jumpers using two 18 AWG conductors for each pole of the cable, which I calculated using a website to equal 15 AWG per pole.

So it would be four separate 18/2 cables kind of like a loom. But this is all seeming much to ghetto now so I'll probably just wait until I get more 12/4 and do this properly. I was in a mindset of "how can I use what I already have rather than spend more money".

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2021, 03:39:36 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 19 queries.