Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

Nema 15 and 12 ga SO

<< < (2/4) > >>

Steve-White:

--- Quote from: Kemper Watson on November 25, 2021, 02:46:48 PM ---I guess I need to try that.

--- End quote ---

Many of them are made to fit up to 14ga and need a little modification for 12ga.  Usually not a big deal, just be sure an hold things securely so the bit doesn't grab when going through or it can trash things out.  :)

Paul Miller:
I've used the Hubbell 5266EBK and 5269EBK connectors with both 12/3 and 10/3 Carol SOOW. The EBKs fit easily with no modifications. They take cord diameters up to 0.72 inches and conductors up to 10ga. Specs

Edit: Clarify cable fit and link to specs

Steve-White:

--- Quote from: Paul Miller on November 26, 2021, 04:28:35 AM ---I've used the Hubbell 5266EBK and 5269EBK connectors with Carol 10/3 SOOW. They take cord diameters up to 0.72 inches.

--- End quote ---
It's not the cable diameter going through the clamp that's the issue.  It's each conductor going into the connectors, some 15A rated devices will not accept #12 wire gauge, some will.  When encountering this condition, I've simply drilled out the connector body to accept #12 wire gauge.

Stephen Swaffer:
If you have to drill them out to get #12 to fit, it's highly unlikely they are listed for use with #12-the manufacturer certainly knows what size hole is needed for #12.  It could be something that you do not see-perhaps the number of thread engaged in the base of the clamp.

Yes, I 've made things work before-but I really feel like it should be a field work around, not part of a planned build.  Just my opinion.

Steve-White:
I've done it making power adapter pigtails for smaller systems where 15A receptacles are the only source available.  I'm not talking about modifying the cable clamp for the outer sheath where it exits the device.  The individual conductor holes where the wires penetrate the device - some will fit 12ga and some won't.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version