ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nema 15 and 12 ga SO  (Read 3977 times)

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
Nema 15 and 12 ga SO
« on: November 25, 2021, 10:17:22 AM »

I know this has been asked before but is there a manufacturer that has a 15 amp plug that easily fits SO? I need repair to a few cord ends.

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
Re: Nema 15 and 12 ga SO
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 11:53:11 AM »

Hubbell 5965 has always been my go-to for SJ or SO.  Just remove the black inserts for the larger jacket.

If you want to spend more money, the 5266 gets the nod.

GTD

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 02:03:34 PM »

In addition to Hubbell both Leviton and Pass & Seymour make suitable options that are usually available at your local home improvement warehouse if you’re in a pinch.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2021, 02:16:28 PM »

You talking about fitting the sheathed cable through the clamp or the conductors into the contact pad area?

I've drilled a few out to fit #12ga wire conductors over the years.

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2021, 02:46:48 PM »

You talking about fitting the sheathed cable through the clamp or the conductors into the contact pad area?

I've drilled a few out to fit #12ga wire conductors over the years.

I guess I need to try that.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2021, 03:18:36 PM »

I guess I need to try that.

Many of them are made to fit up to 14ga and need a little modification for 12ga.  Usually not a big deal, just be sure an hold things securely so the bit doesn't grab when going through or it can trash things out.  :)

Paul Miller

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2021, 04:28:35 AM »

I've used the Hubbell 5266EBK and 5269EBK connectors with both 12/3 and 10/3 Carol SOOW. The EBKs fit easily with no modifications. They take cord diameters up to 0.72 inches and conductors up to 10ga. Specs

Edit: Clarify cable fit and link to specs

« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 04:53:07 AM by Paul Miller »

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2021, 07:52:04 AM »

I've used the Hubbell 5266EBK and 5269EBK connectors with Carol 10/3 SOOW. They take cord diameters up to 0.72 inches.
It's not the cable diameter going through the clamp that's the issue.  It's each conductor going into the connectors, some 15A rated devices will not accept #12 wire gauge, some will.  When encountering this condition, I've simply drilled out the connector body to accept #12 wire gauge.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2021, 10:10:10 PM »

If you have to drill them out to get #12 to fit, it's highly unlikely they are listed for use with #12-the manufacturer certainly knows what size hole is needed for #12.  It could be something that you do not see-perhaps the number of thread engaged in the base of the clamp.

Yes, I 've made things work before-but I really feel like it should be a field work around, not part of a planned build.  Just my opinion.
Steve Swaffer

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2021, 12:34:00 AM »

I've done it making power adapter pigtails for smaller systems where 15A receptacles are the only source available.  I'm not talking about modifying the cable clamp for the outer sheath where it exits the device.  The individual conductor holes where the wires penetrate the device - some will fit 12ga and some won't.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 12:53:11 AM by Steve-White »

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2021, 12:46:13 AM »

If you have to drill them out to get #12 to fit, it's highly unlikely they are listed for use with #12-the manufacturer certainly knows what size hole is needed for #12.  It could be something that you do not see-perhaps the number of thread engaged in the base of the clamp.

Yes, I 've made things work before-but I really feel like it should be a field work around, not part of a planned build.  Just my opinion.

I second this.  Especially when it comes to electrical and rigging you’re taking on substantial liability by physically modifying components.  If one needs to do such a thing it’s likely that the hardware in question is the wrong part for the job all together and should be replaced by a more suitable option.

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2021, 11:00:41 AM »

I second this.  Especially when it comes to electrical and rigging you’re taking on substantial liability by physically modifying components.  If one needs to do such a thing it’s likely that the hardware in question is the wrong part for the job all together and should be replaced by a more suitable option.

I'll try your recommendation today
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 11:19:30 AM by Kemper Watson »

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2021, 01:47:35 PM »

It looks like Kemper edited his last reply,  but here are the spec sheets for the two plugs I suggested:

https://hubbellcdn.com/specsheet/WIRING_HBL5965VY_spec.pdf

https://hubbellcdn.com/specsheet/WIRING_HBL5266C_spec.pdf

Those are the Canadian spec sheets, but I'm pretty sure the only difference with the US ones is you can't use a Robertson screwdriver on them.

In a nutshell, the 5965 is rated for stranded copper conductors from 18 ga to 12 ga.,
and the 5266 for stranded copper from 18 to 10 ga.

Perhaps some of the "clone" plugs from Leviton, etc. have slightly different specs, but I know for a fact that 12 ga. will fit easily in the 5965, having put one on a piece of 12/3 SJ just the other day.

GTD

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2021, 02:33:02 PM »

It looks like Kemper edited his last reply…

He did, originally asking for working suggestions to which I was going to point back to Replies 1, 2, and 6.

In addition to the suggested Hubbells I’ve put on probably over 100 of the Leviton or P&S plugs - all of which fit #12 SOOW just fine without the need for any modifications.

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2021, 04:51:46 PM »

He did, originally asking for working suggestions to which I was going to point back to Replies 1, 2, and 6.

In addition to the suggested Hubbells I’ve put on probably over 100 of the Leviton or P&S plugs - all of which fit #12 SOOW just fine without the need for any modifications.

My apologies. I didn't realize you had already replied. I don't know where I got this cable but the outer jacket is thick and the outer clamps won't come together unless I take a round file and route out the middle. Unless I do this there is an almost 1/4 gap showing the two screws and it just looks bad. That was what I was alluding to not modifying the inside.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2021, 04:55:20 PM »

My apologies. I didn't realize you had already replied. I don't know where I got this cable but the outer jacket is thick and the outer clamps won't come together unless I take a round file and route out the middle. Unless I do this there is an almost 1/4 gap showing the two screws and it just looks bad. That was what I was alluding to not modifying the inside.

Augggg well aughhhhh I was replying to simply drilling out the innards and not having to mess with the cable clamp.

Get connectors that fit.  :)

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2021, 06:44:10 PM »

I've used the Hubbell 5266EBK and 5269EBK connectors with Carol 10/3 SOOW. They take cord diameters up to 0.72 inches.

This is what I use, as well. The EBK are all black Hubbell Entertainment Devices. They will definitely accept 12/3 SOOW. I have not gone bigger than that.

Hubbell 5266CM2 is also all black but has a smaller opening for the cable clamp. 12/3 will fit in the terminals but the clamp is a mighty PITA to get installed on SOOW and required modification.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2021, 06:44:10 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 24 queries.