ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dante switch  (Read 4816 times)

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
Re: Dante switch
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2021, 03:53:53 PM »

I imagine you may need a managed switch to turn off the EEE
The option in these switches is Power Saving Mode - on or off. Simple
There's also loop detection, cable tester and a few others. There's also a port statistic where you can look at bytes sent/received per port and errors.

But I can't say how they work with Dante as I have no need for it in my audio setup and never used it. But if Dante is a network "protocol", any network switch should work with various degrees of reliability. From what I've read, the only thing needed is the ability to disable any "green" power-saving features. Buy a quality unit and you should be good right?

All Netgear E-series switches are "managed", but only a subset of E-series switches have the option to disable power-saving mode (which, as you say, renders the rest of the series unsuitable for Dante).

-Russ

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2021, 07:24:32 PM »

Dante switches are a work in progress for me. GS724Tv4's are fairly common to the point that Biamp has how-to's on their website specific to them. Nevertheless, Yamaha didn't like Netgear switches in general when I called them (notwithstanding that Biamp thinks they are fine).

The new M4250 product line looks to be a very good fit for smaller applications that the GS series was used for, with the benefits of specific qualification for Dante and other A/V network protocols.

Shure keeps a naughty list that may be useful.
https://service.shure.com/s/article/disqualified-network-switches-for-shure-dante-devices?language=en_US

I have 2 GS724Tv4s and 1 SG350 as part of a larger network that mainly runs SG250s. I am looking at the Cisco Small Business line as a replacement for the GS724Tv4's as I sometimes have trouble diagnosing errors on the Netgear switches. For larger applications (I am looking at 48-port switches), I am only looking at Cisco at the moment.

I have seen many reports of Ubiquiti switches doing 'weird' things.

I have not looked at the Fortinet switches to see if they are usable by non-IT gurus who don't have time to learn another scripting reference.
None of the models you have referenced are Cisco, they are Linksys switches that Cisco slapped a label on.  Real Cisco switches are the Catalyst, Nexus and Cisco Meraki (not really Cisco either).  Meraki is cloud managed that makes it unsuitable for production work. 

Nexus is very robust but is complicated, needlessly so for production LAN switching.

That leaves Catalyst.  I surely have 20 year old Catalyst switches that have never been rebooted.  They do their job and they work great.  Very easy to program.

They have Enterprise features such as dual power power supplies.  They run forever and their cars are greater than mill spec.

Netgear is the old Nortel stuff.

That's the bottom line for me.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2021, 07:24:32 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.