ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Dante switch  (Read 4601 times)

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
Re: Dante switch
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2021, 10:37:38 AM »

A couple of things that I’m aware of that make industry standard life expectancies a difficult read in our applications.  Turn on surge is a significant issue with electronics. Devices that get powered on and off every day or every few days see significantly more stress on electronic components particularly capacitors and semiconductors than those that power cycle a few times a year.

Mechanical stress is also a significant factor in portable applications no matter how much you’ve invested in shock mount cases. Mechanical stress plus thermal stress is a worst case scenario for electronics of any kind.

Not that this these factors go directly to your home base gear Brian but more for electronics that ride in trucks, trailers and show kit Pelican cases for a living.

So, I'm gonna ask what feels like to me the "elephant in the room" question.

I understand that nothing lasts forever and so that switch, even if never moved and kept in a stable powered on state, will eventually fail. That whole Second Law of Thermodynamics thing. but that "eventually" is more likely to be measured in decades than years.

Jon Dees

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2021, 11:35:36 AM »

Dante switches are a work in progress for me. GS724Tv4's are fairly common to the point that Biamp has how-to's on their website specific to them. Nevertheless, Yamaha didn't like Netgear switches in general when I called them (notwithstanding that Biamp thinks they are fine).

The new M4250 product line looks to be a very good fit for smaller applications that the GS series was used for, with the benefits of specific qualification for Dante and other A/V network protocols.

Shure keeps a naughty list that may be useful.
https://service.shure.com/s/article/disqualified-network-switches-for-shure-dante-devices?language=en_US

I have 2 GS724Tv4s and 1 SG350 as part of a larger network that mainly runs SG250s. I am looking at the Cisco Small Business line as a replacement for the GS724Tv4's as I sometimes have trouble diagnosing errors on the Netgear switches. For larger applications (I am looking at 48-port switches), I am only looking at Cisco at the moment.

I have seen many reports of Ubiquiti switches doing 'weird' things.

I have not looked at the Fortinet switches to see if they are usable by non-IT gurus who don't have time to learn another scripting reference.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2021, 12:06:29 PM »

While the SG-300 has been the Dante darling for quite a while, it was moved to the “disqualified” list for Q-Sys Q-Lan due to issues with a certain version (“B” I think) at temperature extremes.

As much as I choke at the pricing of new Cisco gear, I have to admit it is darn near indestructible and have successfully used EOL models in corporate IT until something came along that rendered it incompatible (as detailed above).

@brian - I'd say keep using your SG300 but start budgeting for the day when it becomes obsolete in your world.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2021, 12:41:17 PM »

@brian - I'd say keep using your SG300 but start budgeting for the day when it becomes obsolete in your world.

Dave

I have to believe that Brian's question was rhetorical and meant to engender the thought process that led to this discussion.

Mac

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2021, 01:17:58 PM »

I have to believe that Brian's question was rhetorical and meant to engender the thought process that led to this discussion.

Mac

It was. Ish. I've got a bit of a kludge of switch gear at my house and I'm seriously considering buying a couple larger SG300s at bargain basement prices to consolidate things.

But yes, also rhetorical/thought exercise. When do we upgrade things? And most importantly why?
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

John L Nobile

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2021, 01:46:48 PM »

But yes, also rhetorical/thought exercise. When do we upgrade things? And most importantly why?

When it comes to switches, if we even suspect one is acting up, it's replaced. The time to troubleshoot and downtime costs money and productivity.

We've had excellent results with Dell and Cisco switches. All my main switches are Dell. I have some Netgear GSS116E and GSS108E as sub switches and they seem to work fine. I like them as they mount on a bracket that can be screwed to a desk. Very handy. And they're managed. Not fully but enough to make a few changes and monitor and restart them.

https://www.netgear.com/ca-en/business/wired/switches/plus/gss116e/

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2021, 02:47:21 PM »

When it comes to switches, if we even suspect one is acting up, it's replaced. The time to troubleshoot and downtime costs money and productivity.

We've had excellent results with Dell and Cisco switches. All my main switches are Dell. I have some Netgear GSS116E and GSS108E as sub switches and they seem to work fine. I like them as they mount on a bracket that can be screwed to a desk. Very handy. And they're managed. Not fully but enough to make a few changes and monitor and restart them.

https://www.netgear.com/ca-en/business/wired/switches/plus/gss116e/

I just spec'd this exact switch on a studio install I swooped in to troubleshoot last week. I like them quite a lot. Very sturdy, and while they are "managed switches" the management is on a more "macro level" that is more appropriate to most Dante installs without all the ""micro level stuff that can trip you up. And yeah, the mounting option is quite clever for under desk applications.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2021, 03:28:56 PM »

{...} I have some Netgear GSS116E and GSS108E as sub switches and they seem to work fine. {...}

Huh, guess these can be added to the list of E-series switches where the EEE can be disabled (that's not true for all of them).

-Russ

John L Nobile

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2021, 03:30:29 PM »

I just spec'd this exact switch on a studio install I swooped in to troubleshoot last week. I like them quite a lot. Very sturdy, and while they are "managed switches" the management is on a more "macro level" that is more appropriate to most Dante installs without all the ""micro level stuff that can trip you up. And yeah, the mounting option is quite clever for under desk applications.

And they're inexpensive.

I have one in my office. Had no issues with it or 5 other ones around the hotel since I installed them a few years ago. Every 3 or 4 months, I'll remote to them, look them over and restart them from the comfort of my office.

John L Nobile

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2021, 03:46:30 PM »

Huh, guess these can be added to the list of E-series switches where the EEE can be disabled (that's not true for all of them).

-Russ

I imagine you may need a managed switch to turn off the EEE
The option in these switches is Power Saving Mode - on or off. Simple
There's also loop detection, cable tester and a few others. There's also a port statistic where you can look at bytes sent/received per port and errors.

But I can't say how they work with Dante as I have no need for it in my audio setup and never used it. But if Dante is a network "protocol", any network switch should work with various degrees of reliability. From what I've read, the only thing needed is the ability to disable any "green" power-saving features. Buy a quality unit and you should be good right?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2021, 03:46:30 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.