Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Wireless (or wired) signal light suggestions please

(1/2) > >>

Kirby Yarbrough:
Looking for an inexpensive preferably wireless signal light to alert a church pianist.  Piano faces the wrong way so I need a way to alert him/her when an event starts.  Something like a blazon on an intercomm system, but light doesn't need to be that obtrusive and the other intercomm functionality (and investment) isn't needed.  WiFi is available in the space but a cabled solution will work also, either way with a button or switch to activate the light.

Russell Ault:

--- Quote from: Kirby Yarbrough on November 14, 2021, 12:56:29 PM ---Looking for an inexpensive preferably wireless signal light to alert a church pianist.  Piano faces the wrong way so I need a way to alert him/her when an event starts.  Something like a blazon on an intercomm system, but light doesn't need to be that obtrusive and the other intercomm functionality (and investment) isn't needed.  WiFi is available in the space but a cabled solution will work also, either way with a button or switch to activate the light.

--- End quote ---

IMHO wireless should always been the option of last resort.

The simplest cue light system (used, incidentally, by most North American touring theatrical productions) is going to be an electrical device with a switch (a power bar will do), an extension cord (or, for permanent install, an electrician), and a lamp of some description. You can specialize the the lamp (and the switch, for that matter) to taste.

-Russ

Brian Jojade:
+1 on saving wireless as a last option.  If a wire can be pulled, a wire should be pulled.

This can easily be done with any low voltage wire.  If there's cat 5 wiring in the building, you could even use that wiring as dry contact pairs and simply toss an LED at the end to have light up.  Supply power at the source when you need the signal to be on.  Total material cost to do that would be maybe $10 if you had to buy everything.

With low voltage wiring, no licensed electrician is needed.

Geoff Doane:

--- Quote from: Kirby Yarbrough on November 14, 2021, 12:56:29 PM ---Looking for an inexpensive preferably wireless signal light to alert a church pianist.

--- End quote ---

Church organists I've know have used a small makeup mirror for that sort of thing, so they can see behind them to know when to start a hymn, processional, etc.

If I had to come up with lights to do the same thing, I'd probably use a spare XLR line in a snake, and that way I could have two different lights if I needed them.  Use pin 1 for ground, and 2 and 3 for the two LEDs.  The power supply could go at either end, but arrange it so the current limiting resistors limit the current in the snake to only what is required for the LEDs (typically 10 mA).

I built something similar years ago to control two circuits of lights with mechanical relays.  With a suppression diode across each relay's coil, there was NO noise induced in the mic lines that shared the same snake.  If I had used solid state relays, I wouldn't have even needed that.  In this case the power supply was at the stage end, so if somebody mixed up a mic and the control channel, the only thing connected to the mic would be a harmless box with a pair of switches.

GTD

Adam H Burgess:
How about a phantom power tester with an LED on the end of an XLR?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version