ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SKB 3i-2011-MC12 Mic Case - Great for 58s, but...  (Read 4011 times)

John Schalk

SKB 3i-2011-MC12 Mic Case - Great for 58s, but...
« on: November 13, 2021, 10:20:29 AM »

not so good if you have other, taller microphones in your kit.  I originally ordered the case to hold my drum mics thinking that the wider holes with finger cutouts would be handy.  However, what I learned is that the foam used for the mic holes is firm "PE" foam, which doesn't give at all.  The only soft foam in the case is in the lid.  Since it wouldn't work for my drum mics, I decided to try swapping it for my existing SKB 12 space vocal mic case, and that is when I discovered the height issue.

I have e935s, e945s, and Beta 87s and, as you can see in the photos, they don't fit.  At least not without compressing almost all of the foam in the lid onto the windscreens, which didn't seem like a good plan to me.  The interior depth is listed at 8", which I didn't check before ordering, simply because I never considered that a purpose-built mic case wouldn't be deep enough for common vocal mics.  Alas no, so I thought I'd post this quick review in case anyone else was looking at this otherwise nice and compact mic case.  I really wanted it to work :(

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
Re: SKB 3i-2011-MC12 Mic Case - Great for 58s, but...
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2021, 01:52:56 PM »

not so good if you have other, taller microphones in your kit.  I originally ordered the case to hold my drum mics thinking that the wider holes with finger cutouts would be handy.  However, what I learned is that the foam used for the mic holes is firm "PE" foam, which doesn't give at all.  The only soft foam in the case is in the lid.  Since it wouldn't work for my drum mics, I decided to try swapping it for my existing SKB 12 space vocal mic case, and that is when I discovered the height issue.

I have e935s, e945s, and Beta 87s and, as you can see in the photos, they don't fit.  At least not without compressing almost all of the foam in the lid onto the windscreens, which didn't seem like a good plan to me.  The interior depth is listed at 8", which I didn't check before ordering, simply because I never considered that a purpose-built mic case wouldn't be deep enough for common vocal mics.  Alas no, so I thought I'd post this quick review in case anyone else was looking at this otherwise nice and compact mic case.  I really wanted it to work :(

You can drill out PE foam with a spade bit for wood. Use a fresh, sharp one.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

John Schalk

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2021, 12:13:24 PM »

You can drill out PE foam with a spade bit for wood. Use a fresh, sharp one.
I thought about that, except I was going to use a hole saw, which might not have worked as well as a spade bit.  But, I ended up putting it up for sale on FB, and a friend wants to buy it.  I'll take a 15% loss, and try again.  The next closest case appears to be the Gator 16 holer.  A friend has one that he uses for his drum mics, so I might try to borrow it before I buy one.

You do have me thinking about drilling the SKB out again though!

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2021, 03:17:58 PM »

I thought about that, except I was going to use a hole saw, which might not have worked as well as a spade bit.  But, I ended up putting it up for sale on FB, and a friend wants to buy it.  I'll take a 15% loss, and try again.  The next closest case appears to be the Gator 16 holer.  A friend has one that he uses for his drum mics, so I might try to borrow it before I buy one.

You do have me thinking about drilling the SKB out again though!
For foam, the hole saw is better, especially if not starting from a blank sheet.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2021, 03:17:58 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.