ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Rebuilding light show  (Read 2121 times)

Paul G. OBrien

Re: Rebuilding light show
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2021, 12:24:02 PM »

^^^ The power linking on the Parts Express model is a definite plus.

+1 on that. If you want to maximize convenience and minimize setup/strike time you could prewire a group of pars on a T-bar and leave them that way permanently, and for this kind of use if you were to add wireless DMX recievers to each tree it gets easier still. The thing you have to know about LEDs is there is a huge range in mechanical quality from cheap POS flimsy plastic to pro level cast aluminum/steel, and that also extends to the quality of the light produced.. the cheapest models don't get very bright, create a lot of rainbow effect, and can be quite unreliable while the more pro fixtures are very bright, blend colors well and are quite durable. As with anything you get what you pay for but it doesn't take a hugh outlay to get quite good results, so do your homework first.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2021, 03:21:39 PM »

I personally have found with lights - contrary to the rule for sound - you don't necessarily get what you pay for.
In the last few years I have purchased very inexpensive fixtures and so far I have had very good luck with them. In fact I had more failures with my more expensive lights.
At around $30 a pop, if one fails, I just throw it away and get another. However, this has only happened twice in 6-7 years of purchasing inexpensive fixtures.
The downsides to these is firstly: They are plastic and need some TLC during transport - easy for me to do because I (meaning Chris and I) pack the van we are very careful with our gear.
The other thing that is a bit of an issue by purchasing in this price bracket, is that I can't guarantee what DMX addressing has been programmed into the fixtures as there is no standard so I have to create a new DMX fixture for those that do not conform to my existing addressing. I know what I'm doing though so it doesn't take long to do.
I attach the fixtures to lighting Tee's prewired with IEC and DMX pig tails to the first fixture on each tree making it quick and easy to deploy.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2021, 08:55:12 PM »

I personally have found with lights - contrary to the rule for sound - you don't necessarily get what you pay for.

At the very bottom price brackets I think it is a bit of a dogs breakfast, you never know until you get hands on if you're getting something half decent or the cheapest POS possible, but there are a going to be a few gems nice looking rocks in the pile. I don't have anything good to say about the Chauvet DJ stuff as I have had to repair too much shody soldering and assembly work, but all of the direct from china fixture I have are assembled to a high standard... even if some are designed to a low price point.

Sam Saponaro Jr

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2021, 09:57:05 PM »

Yea I'm think led in the next couple months. At 27 bucks each for par56 bulbs alone in I'd be at 100 then trees and all the b.s.. And not having to cool them 20min be for packing um in the truck is a plus and low amp draw etc.... Not to mention bulbs blowing from transport bumps.
With the monoprice etc....i could be outta this for a few hundred for 8 back lights. Use 2 of my remaining 56s for front wash till I get more led

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2021, 11:27:52 PM »

^^^ And no more gels.

Sam Saponaro Jr

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2021, 10:43:40 PM »

That too....i used to be able to buy sheets of it at the local music shop....not no more.
Btw I priced it out to build a simple dimmer...after 4 dimmers 4x4 boxes receticals connectors and enough 16/3 to run 8 cables to each light plus cord ends.....i could buy a used board and packs or be halfway to leds lol holycrap the price of building supplies.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2021, 09:52:21 AM »

Parts Express also stands behind their "house brands"
Years ago I bought by peice some of their no longer available aluminum par body Led lights.
enden up finding out these had underpowered powersupplies. some of these lights I bought 2 years before.
any way they relaced the pars at no charge with the upgraded power supplies.

Please go to your profile and change your name to your real full name as required by the posting rules.

Mac
admin

Paul Johnson

• Currently - Belfast-UK
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2021, 10:11:12 AM »

On an audio board with so many 'how do I cure interference from the lights' topics I'm amazed we're bodging the lighting. The cost of all these home-brew things soon adds up. You can buy really nice and very cheap LED wash lights - RGB or RGBW par replacements for such a low price now that you could buy ten of these - connect them to a cheap DMX control and have a decent, low cost, and versatile rig. Low consumption - so easy to power and with each light being able to do any colour - your results can be amazing. A laptop running free software and a dongle gives you colour washes that can change - chases, strobing and so, so much better than a few par cans with their running costs. Ten of these can be amazing to look at - and you can even mount them on the floor or on mic stands as they're not too heavy. I'll never be buying gel or replacement bubbles again.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2021, 07:39:46 PM »

I will disagree with this wholeheartedly.  There are HUGE differences in quality of lighting.  Of course, higher price doesn't absolutely guarantee higher quality, but it's very difficult to build a quality light super cheap.

What you're finding is that you can get 'good enough' lights for pretty cheap.  Yeah, the color gamut may not be complete, or the pattern control of the light may not be perfect. The color may not even perfectly match between fixtures, especially if you mix and match them.  But, It makes pretty enough light that people can see, and that's all people care about.  The same exact things can be found in the sound world.  Cheap speakers available today can do a heck of a job in certain environments, and are a fraction of the price that high end professional stuff costs.

It all comes down to where you put your priorities.
Brian Jojade

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2021, 07:55:44 PM »

I will disagree with this wholeheartedly.  There are HUGE differences in quality of lighting.  Of course, higher price doesn't absolutely guarantee higher quality, but it's very difficult to build a quality light super cheap.

What you're finding is that you can get 'good enough' lights for pretty cheap.  Yeah, the color gamut may not be complete, or the pattern control of the light may not be perfect. The color may not even perfectly match between fixtures, especially if you mix and match them.  But, It makes pretty enough light that people can see, and that's all people care about.  The same exact things can be found in the sound world.  Cheap speakers available today can do a heck of a job in certain environments, and are a fraction of the price that high end professional stuff costs.

It all comes down to where you put your priorities.

I think you would be pretty surprised at what I can do with my set up and how professional it all looks….and all my fixtures were very inexpensive.  However, I would agree you can’t just throw up a few cheap fixtures on stands and expect professional results. My ‘investment’ has been the time and research in to how to get it to all work so well together and the setting up of the preset shows.
My money has gone into sound because I firmly believe that is where it matters but when it comes to lighting, you would think I paid a lot more than I did.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2021, 07:55:44 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.