Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Lighting Forum

Rebuilding light show

(1/8) > >>

Sam Saponaro Jr:
Ok guys so I never had the greatest lighting just enough to offer some 56s with a simple show for small sound jobs. But now my show got ripped off and all I have left is 8 par 56s 4 with no bulbs and one tree. My. Little dmx board ,packs ,8 of my cans on trees box of gels and spare bulbs is gone.....did I mention a pair of 18s too?
Now I've thought of building a homebrew controller using dimmer switches and cutting a couple 100ft lawn and garden cords into 25ft lengths and taping them in groups of 4. Scrounging up some gel frames and a tree and bulbs. But by the time I do all this is it worth it?? I know leds have dropped quite a bit in price but I don't know much about them.
Anyone have any suggestions for 8 back lights on a tight budget?? I was planning pa upgrades and really didn't need this to happen.
Btw watch who you call friends and let use/ store stuff for you.

Steve-White:
For budget lighting these are hard to beat:  https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=612794

Recommended to me by a couple of members for lighting a DJ setup.  I picked up 2 of them and they work well.

Sam Saponaro Jr:
Thank you I'll check um out.
With leds how do you change colors? I'm used to gels.Are there different coverage patterns?? Ei nsp wdf mdf
I had my oldies setup in pairs 2nsp 4mdf 2wdf back and 2mdf 2wdf front....had extra nsp bulbs when needed..i only have the front tree now...ugh
What's a cheap controller that would work with those lights? I admit I know very little about lighting and dmx.

Jeff Lelko:

--- Quote from: Sam Saponaro Jr on November 12, 2021, 01:50:49 AM ---Now I've thought of building a homebrew controller using dimmer switches and cutting a couple 100ft lawn and garden cords into 25ft lengths and taping them in groups of 4. Scrounging up some gel frames and a tree and bulbs.

But by the time I do all this is it worth it??

--- End quote ---

Nope, not to mention that homemade equipment such as this is dangerous, not code-compliant, not professional, and won’t sit well with your insurance carrier.  There comes a point that you either need to spend enough money to do things right or you’re better off not doing them at all.

Sam Saponaro Jr:

--- Quote from: Jeff Lelko on November 12, 2021, 02:19:54 AM ---Nope, not to mention that homemade equipment such as this is dangerous, not code-compliant, not professional, and won’t sit well with your insurance carrier.  There comes a point that you either need to spend enough money to do things right or you’re better off not doing them at all.

--- End quote ---
your right....im scrambling right now. My plan was to roll what I made off a few jobs back into my system....now I don't have everything I need to do them. It may not be a huge loss but being a small potatoes system for hire side hustle guy it don't help the cause. Especially recently restarting after covid and having spent my tiny budget.
Those led pars look interesting though. May have to borrow stuff till then.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version