ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Rebuilding light show  (Read 6286 times)

Sam Saponaro Jr

Rebuilding light show
« on: November 12, 2021, 01:50:49 AM »

Ok guys so I never had the greatest lighting just enough to offer some 56s with a simple show for small sound jobs. But now my show got ripped off and all I have left is 8 par 56s 4 with no bulbs and one tree. My. Little dmx board ,packs ,8 of my cans on trees box of gels and spare bulbs is gone.....did I mention a pair of 18s too?
Now I've thought of building a homebrew controller using dimmer switches and cutting a couple 100ft lawn and garden cords into 25ft lengths and taping them in groups of 4. Scrounging up some gel frames and a tree and bulbs. But by the time I do all this is it worth it?? I know leds have dropped quite a bit in price but I don't know much about them.
Anyone have any suggestions for 8 back lights on a tight budget?? I was planning pa upgrades and really didn't need this to happen.
Btw watch who you call friends and let use/ store stuff for you.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 01:54:38 AM by Sam Saponaro Jr »

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
Re: Rebuilding light show
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2021, 01:59:54 AM »

For budget lighting these are hard to beat:  https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=612794

Recommended to me by a couple of members for lighting a DJ setup.  I picked up 2 of them and they work well.

Sam Saponaro Jr

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2021, 02:05:36 AM »

Thank you I'll check um out.
With leds how do you change colors? I'm used to gels.Are there different coverage patterns?? Ei nsp wdf mdf
I had my oldies setup in pairs 2nsp 4mdf 2wdf back and 2mdf 2wdf front....had extra nsp bulbs when needed..i only have the front tree now...ugh
What's a cheap controller that would work with those lights? I admit I know very little about lighting and dmx.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 02:21:08 AM by Sam Saponaro Jr »

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2021, 02:19:54 AM »

Now I've thought of building a homebrew controller using dimmer switches and cutting a couple 100ft lawn and garden cords into 25ft lengths and taping them in groups of 4. Scrounging up some gel frames and a tree and bulbs.

But by the time I do all this is it worth it??

Nope, not to mention that homemade equipment such as this is dangerous, not code-compliant, not professional, and won’t sit well with your insurance carrier.  There comes a point that you either need to spend enough money to do things right or you’re better off not doing them at all.

Sam Saponaro Jr

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2021, 02:24:39 AM »

Nope, not to mention that homemade equipment such as this is dangerous, not code-compliant, not professional, and won’t sit well with your insurance carrier.  There comes a point that you either need to spend enough money to do things right or you’re better off not doing them at all.
your right....im scrambling right now. My plan was to roll what I made off a few jobs back into my system....now I don't have everything I need to do them. It may not be a huge loss but being a small potatoes system for hire side hustle guy it don't help the cause. Especially recently restarting after covid and having spent my tiny budget.
Those led pars look interesting though. May have to borrow stuff till then.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 03:09:48 AM by Sam Saponaro Jr »

Stephen Beatty

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2021, 09:14:01 AM »

LEDs are a lot less hassle then those old 56s, not as power hungry and lighter in most cases. With those Monoprice instruments and a small controller like the CHAUVET DJ Obey 3 you can jazz up a small show pretty well.

Look at places like B&H Photo Video for used items. Reach out to the members here. Someone may have a deal for you.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2021, 11:20:37 AM »

Back in the day I used to carry Par 56's and 2 1/2" pipe trees with heavy metal bases, dimmer racks, power distribution.

Today's DMX controlled LED lights are the only way to go.  Power consumption is far less, no heat and and excellent color saturation and mixing works well.  When dimmed the hue doesn't change, gels don't burn out and they crank out the light

With DMX you can start with a basic system to wash the stage and build it up 1 piece at a time.  Moving heads, fogger, etc., and it's all controlled on the same system.

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2021, 11:34:10 AM »

Parts Express has a very similar 90w RGBW LED PAR:  https://www.parts-express.com/Talent-PAR910-RGBW-4-in-1-LED-Slim-Par-Stage-Light-9-x-10W-244-522?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIltuB5JyT9AIVSXxvBB3ttQpZEAAYASAAEgIY7fD_BwE
Two advantages over the Monoprice fixture: It has a 5-year warranty and power linking from unit to unit, although IEC 13 to IEC 14 cable required.

I just bought 4, see my review (Scott H) & interior photos on their product page above. Got mine for $50 each on sale. One of the four was defective out of the box but they replaced it promptly. However, I would seriously question using either the Monoprice or Parts Express units for a portable system has they are all plastic and the yoke is barely strong enough to support even something that light weight. Also the C-clamp hole is undersized for a standard half-inch bolt.
There are lots of import LED PARs available for just a bit more money that look to be a much better choice for your application. The suggestion of the Obey 3 controller would probably be a good choice for your application as well. Just another perspective.
Scott Hofmann

duane massey

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2021, 01:13:35 PM »

If you truly just want a few lights with simple control, and don't need anything really bright, consider the links below. I have 4 of the fixtures and 2 stands and they are perfect for my needs.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=612970
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=612120
https://www.parts-express.com/Talent-LS1-Tripod-Lighting-Stand-233-080

The controller (like all controllers in this price range) is limited, but will get you up and running.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2021, 01:19:59 PM »

^^^ The power linking on the Parts Express model is a definite plus.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2021, 01:19:59 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 25 queries.