Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

Bike Rail - effective or harmful?

(1/3) > >>

Dave Pluke:
Don't want to be Monday Morning Quarterbacking, but I've noticed this year (both at the US Capitol and the recent Houston festival) that Bike Rail might possibly do more harm than good in an unruly crowd situation.

People can be trapped under it and it can be used as a weapon. Like the saying goes about locks; "they keep out the honest people". Bike Rail seems to only work as a polite indication of where people should and should not be at an event.

Is anyone aware of research regarding its pros and cons, reminiscent of the "water barrel as ballast" studies?

Dave

Tim McCulloch:
The ANSI standard for crowd management may offer some insight:

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5aec979d3e2d09db8bcad475/t/5f28405c6701be2fe6ae9a24/1596473447880/ANSI+ES1.9-2020.pdf

Brian Jojade:
Unruly crowds can do some pretty unexpected things. No matter what is there, potential for misuse and abuse exits.  It's pretty crazy what some people might do.

You are correct that bike rail is only a 'request' barrier that is easily subverted by those that want to get around it.  However, the alternative solutions either are much higher cost or create too much of a barrier for the event to be practical. 

Riley Casey:
The bike racks at the US Capital on the day of the insurrection were in place to keep tourists away from the installation of production equipment  for the inauguration ceremony. They were not deployed to stop a riot or any kind of hostile action from a large crowd. I don't think there any basis for judging the value of bike racks as crowd control at concerts or other normal civil events with their performance at a deliberately uncivil event.

Bob Stone:

--- Quote from: Riley Casey on November 10, 2021, 07:37:06 PM ---The bike racks at the US Capital on the day of the insurrection were in place to keep tourists away from the installation of production equipment  for the inauguration ceremony. They were not deployed to stop a riot or any kind of hostile action from a large crowd. I don't think there any basis for judging the value of bike racks as crowd control at concerts or other normal civil events with their performance at a deliberately uncivil event.

--- End quote ---

This post is a little too political for my liking here...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version