ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: stage monitors: DSR112's vs RCF NX 12-SMA's-now DHR12M  (Read 2032 times)

Rob Bernstein

Re: stage monitors: DSR112's vs RCF NX 12-SMA's
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2021, 08:48:26 AM »

I just ordered some DZR12's to replace my DSR112's as mains and plan on shifting the DSR's to monitor duty. But I was looking at the RCF NX 12-SMA's and noticed they are only 36 lbs! And coaxial!
Not specific to the DZR12's, but I had a pair of DSR12's that I recently sold. I have gone to all coaxial 12" powered floor wedges for monitors.
Got a great deal on 4 of the db technologies FM 12's, which have a great footprint and get plenty loud for the wedding gigs I do.
I just added 4 of the EV PXM 12MP's. Again, great footprint, and could be used on a speaker stand if needed. Some basic DSP built in, which I don't use most of the time.
Decent price and fit my rig very well.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2021, 01:48:31 PM »

Not 100% relevant, but I own a set of SRX-812sp's and an octet of RCF NX-12SMA's, and having compared both side by side, given the specs of the NX-12SMA, it does what it says on the box. The peak SPL listed on the box is actually what the speaker will produce. They are wonderful in form factor for both FOH and especially monitor use. They do sound very nice, but the box is extremely linear and because of its design, it doesn't pull double duty very well.

That being said the RCF NX-12SMA is not a one-box wonder. In FOH use the SRX-812sp's win hands down. The NX-12SMA doesn't have a lot of low end and that is by design. The literature suggests 70hz and it is not lying. I have measured the NX-12SMA's, and in monitor position, it measures board flat from 70hz to 16khz. When used on a stick and even with the " mains " mode selected, it doesn't go much lower and has a slight hump around 250hz. They are very linear aside from that and work amazingly for spoken word on sticks, but for live music they appear dark, muted, and muddy. They absolutely kill it as a monitor though. My musicians immediately noticed the step up in quality and it took considerably less work for me to get them plenty loud.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Jay Marr

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2021, 07:54:21 AM »

(RCF) They do sound very nice, but the box is extremely linear and because of its design, it doesn't pull double duty very well.

I agree with this (owning DSR's, RCF's and passive SRX812)
I use the DSRs for FOH and RCF for monitoring.
When I've swapped them, I feel that I need to find the sweet spot when standing in front of a DSR (when used as a wedge).  Don't need to do that with the RCF.
I also tried the RCFs for FOH and didn't love the 60 degree dispersion.  The Yamaha's filled my (rehearsal) room better.

As far as the SRX's, they're decent passive boxes and have the added advantage of built in tilt.  I was really surprised how much this helped fill out my rehearsal room.
So I'm keeping SRX's for rehearsal, Yamahas for FOH gigging, and 1 RCF for my monitor.  (I have a pair of RCFs, but am selling one)

I agree with the others - RCF for monitor duty.

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2021, 02:21:32 PM »

I've got a whole bunch of DSR112s that I've used primarily as monitors for a couple years now.  They're great utility speakers, and have been adequate as monitors for my needs.  However, they're not ideal as a wedge monitor for a couple reasons:

- In the horizontal orientation, the horn and cone are side-by-side, and so the pattern is asymmetrical.
- The enclosure has the amp and input panel on one of the back angled sides, so you can only place the box in one orientation, which makes symmetrical pairs impossible.
- There are no feet on the wedge side, so the enclosures get scuffed up.

I bought a set of RCF NX10 SMA for a client, and they've been really great.  I recently ordered the 12's for a new install and, while I haven't used them yet, I expect they'll do their job very well.

I am hoping to replace my DSRs with dedicated wedges next summer.  NX-12-SMA is at the top of my list.

If you need a versatile utility speaker, DSR112 is great.  If you need a dedicated wedge, get a dedicated wedge.

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2022, 07:25:40 PM »

Seeing as the NX12-SMA's are about a 6 month wait right now AND the price has gone up, I decided to take a gamble on some Yamaha DHR12M's (thanks to our Mr Mike Pile for getting them to me supper fast!).

In the plus column:
coaxial 12" powered wedge (passives also avail)
plywood, well built
36 lbs (similar to the RCF's)
less than half the cost of the RCF's

Downsides:
can't go as loud (but is it loud enough?)
not as much low end (but do you want that in a monitor?)
no powercons, not even locking IEC ports :(
rear panel is a little prosumer (RCA jacks? Maybe the corporate event folks connect them to projectors with RCA outs?)

Called Mike Thursday morning, they were on my doorstep Friday noon! So far all I've had time to do was play some clean guitar through one via my Fractal, but it sounded really nice. They will get used this weekend at a show and I'll give a review. I don't have an RCF to compare them with, so the question will be "are they good enough or do I feel the need for something better?" So far I'm happy.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
Re: stage monitors: DSR112's vs RCF NX 12-SMA's-now DHR12M
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2022, 03:22:09 AM »

I guess I got the last batch :) I got my last set of NX12SMA's in the early part of 2019. They are still one of the best monitors I have had the chance to use. They aren't quite a Microwedge or a D&B M4, but for the cost difference, they are a great intermediate pro-grade box.

I have had great luck using EV ZLX speakers as monitors too. I don't see any reason why the Yamaha DHR's would be a letdown? These days, even modest entry-level speakers really spank hard on speakers that were decent 10-15 years ago. Imagine a Mackie SRM-450 vs a similarly priced DHR...
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Mal Brown

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2022, 02:53:42 AM »

In band life, I like the dhr.  For sound co use, DSR go deeper and for folks that want a bunch of kick, they do a better job.  I have some old passive Renkus wedges run off QSC PLX2-1804's that kick hard.

There is a lot to like about the DHR's.  They aren't DSR's though...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 11:21:23 AM by Mal Brown »
Bass player, sound guy.
Fb Gorge Sound and Light
WillyandNelson.com

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2022, 01:54:07 AM »

I put the DHR12M's to good use today - it was just a recital for my guitar students, but I bring in a drummer and an upright bassist to play with the students, and of course we do some tunes as well. I had 3 DHR12M's across the front of the stage (16' stage, outdoors). All the guitars were through Fractals, so no backline. They covered the stage well and were clear, no problem with volume or sound quality, though we weren't that loud. If it has been a typical loud rock band I think they could have kept up (I did crank them a little during setup - held together well and got plenty loud).

When playing recorded music through the DHR12M's I did notice they were lacking in the low end, but this wasn't an issue for guitar and vocals, and keeping the bass down on stage is usually a good thing.

What I enjoyed most about these was having 36lb monitors that were easy to carry, didn't take up much room on stage, and provided great coverage. I'm sure the RCF's are even better, but at less than 1/2 the price and available now, the Yamaha's are a no brainer.

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2022, 05:22:26 AM »

Great follow-up, Mark. I've been super curious of these for all the obvious reasons. If this can handle small, full band performances  well, I see it being a valuable product to many.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2022, 06:38:12 AM »

Great follow-up, Mark. I've been super curious of these for all the obvious reasons. If this can handle small, full band performances  well, I see it being a valuable product to many.

After having another weekend with me personally running the Alto SXM wedges I still love these boxes.  As Tim points out we closed the market on them once they were discontinued, we have 14 on the books.  The band I was with this weekend is loud and I had my concerns but the drummer was on ears and I even got a compliment on the monitors! 

I am fairly sure that after this season I am going to add some of the Yamaha's there seems to be a bit of magic in coaxs from the Danley on down to bottom barrel (the Alto's). 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2022, 06:38:12 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 22 queries.