Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

DuroMax generators - home backup usage?

(1/4) > >>

Bob Faulkner:
Did a forum search for DuroMax; 2 results returned from about 10 years ago.

Interested if anyone has experience with the DuroMax brand of generators in the last 10 years.  Several years ago, I was looking for an "upgrade" to my current 5Kw Briggs&Stratton, but couldn't justify the expense for the greater wattage.  My house is all electric; I'm needing something around 12Kw range. 

Recently, I came across DuroMax dual-fuel generators (gas/LP).  A lot of wattage (50amp service), but probably 1/2 the price of other generators I looked at a few years ago.

For example:

12Kw
https://www.duromaxpower.com/collections/home-backup/products/duromax-xp15000eh-15000-watt-v-twin-electric-start-dual-fuel-hybrid-portable-generator

10Kw
https://www.duromaxpower.com/collections/dual-fuel-generators/products/13000-watt-18-hp-portable-gas-electric-start-generator-with-co-alert

So far, my research has shown DuroMax to be of good quality. 

However, the customer product ratings on their website are NOT the ratings for the generator that you would be looking at.  The ratings are an aggregate of their product line.  Also, the Westinghouse line of generators look very, very similar to the DuroMax line... another wrench in the decision making.

Thoughts/experiences??

Thanks.

Dave Pluke:

--- Quote from: Bob Faulkner on November 09, 2021, 08:47:03 AM --- Also, the Westinghouse line of generators look very, very similar to the DuroMax line... another wrench in the decision making.

Thoughts/experiences??

--- End quote ---

No experience with that "brand" but I have noticed a lot of similar looking OEM-type generators on the market. Difficult to say if there is any difference between what's available on Amazon or through the Wholesale Clubs. I'd lean toward whichever Reseller has the better warranty coverage.

I have both Ryobi and "BILT HARD" generators out at our acreage. The former has survived a flood (completely inundated with mud) but I would not put the same faith in the latter.

For home use, the dual (or triple) fuel option is attractive.

Dave

Bob Faulkner:

--- Quote from: Dave Pluke on November 10, 2021, 09:48:39 AM ---No experience with that "brand" but I have noticed a lot of similar looking OEM-type generators on the market. Difficult to say if there is any difference between what's available on Amazon or through the Wholesale Clubs. I'd lean toward whichever Reseller has the better warranty coverage.

I have both Ryobi and "BILT HARD" generators out at our acreage. The former has survived a flood (completely inundated with mud) but I would not put the same faith in the latter.

For home use, the dual (or triple) fuel option is attractive.

Dave

--- End quote ---
Thanks for the reply.  There does seem to be similarities between certain "brands", which always concerns me.  As one brand is found out to be a POS, it's re-branded as something else.

The warranty for the DuroMax seemed pretty good.  Nothing negative found (yet) on YouTube.  Still searching...

Steve-White:
I don't have any experience with Duromax generators.

But do have close to 10 years with whole house backup generators.  The first hurdle was getting something clean enough so the two large APC UPS's I run would tolerate being on backup power without cycling on and off line.

The next plateau was getting something large enough to start the 4 ton AC on the house without torturing the compressor during the startup cycle.

10,500 continuous with 13,000 peak was just enough to run the AC, but startups were sluggish.  So, I went up in capacity one more iteration to 18,000 continuous 27,000 peak and it starts up just like it's on the power grid.

One other thing to mention is any generator power quality for a conventional rig is dependent on the load.  The higher up the load curve it's pushed, the more harmonic distortion in the power output.  I have an APC 3000W UPS on the entertainment system and an APC 2200 on computer and home office equipment to include security systems - cameras and monitored motion detectors.

If your wiring is setup, try renting different sizes to make sure you end up with enough capacity.

My setup backfeeds the whole house so all rooms have light, outdoor floods work, etc.  And plenty of headroom for AC startup in the summer.

Mal Brown:
We have a 14kw General that I had installed after Hurricane Sandy.  Got it from Generators Direct on the web.  It has been flawless.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version