ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DuroMax generators - home backup usage?  (Read 2634 times)

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
DuroMax generators - home backup usage?
« on: November 09, 2021, 08:47:03 AM »

Did a forum search for DuroMax; 2 results returned from about 10 years ago.

Interested if anyone has experience with the DuroMax brand of generators in the last 10 years.  Several years ago, I was looking for an "upgrade" to my current 5Kw Briggs&Stratton, but couldn't justify the expense for the greater wattage.  My house is all electric; I'm needing something around 12Kw range. 

Recently, I came across DuroMax dual-fuel generators (gas/LP).  A lot of wattage (50amp service), but probably 1/2 the price of other generators I looked at a few years ago.

For example:

12Kw
https://www.duromaxpower.com/collections/home-backup/products/duromax-xp15000eh-15000-watt-v-twin-electric-start-dual-fuel-hybrid-portable-generator

10Kw
https://www.duromaxpower.com/collections/dual-fuel-generators/products/13000-watt-18-hp-portable-gas-electric-start-generator-with-co-alert

So far, my research has shown DuroMax to be of good quality. 

However, the customer product ratings on their website are NOT the ratings for the generator that you would be looking at.  The ratings are an aggregate of their product line.  Also, the Westinghouse line of generators look very, very similar to the DuroMax line... another wrench in the decision making.

Thoughts/experiences??

Thanks.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
Re: DuroMax generators - home backup usage?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2021, 09:48:39 AM »

Also, the Westinghouse line of generators look very, very similar to the DuroMax line... another wrench in the decision making.

Thoughts/experiences??

No experience with that "brand" but I have noticed a lot of similar looking OEM-type generators on the market. Difficult to say if there is any difference between what's available on Amazon or through the Wholesale Clubs. I'd lean toward whichever Reseller has the better warranty coverage.

I have both Ryobi and "BILT HARD" generators out at our acreage. The former has survived a flood (completely inundated with mud) but I would not put the same faith in the latter.

For home use, the dual (or triple) fuel option is attractive.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2021, 02:29:21 PM »

No experience with that "brand" but I have noticed a lot of similar looking OEM-type generators on the market. Difficult to say if there is any difference between what's available on Amazon or through the Wholesale Clubs. I'd lean toward whichever Reseller has the better warranty coverage.

I have both Ryobi and "BILT HARD" generators out at our acreage. The former has survived a flood (completely inundated with mud) but I would not put the same faith in the latter.

For home use, the dual (or triple) fuel option is attractive.

Dave

Thanks for the reply.  There does seem to be similarities between certain "brands", which always concerns me.  As one brand is found out to be a POS, it's re-branded as something else.

The warranty for the DuroMax seemed pretty good.  Nothing negative found (yet) on YouTube.  Still searching...

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2021, 10:59:47 PM »

I don't have any experience with Duromax generators.

But do have close to 10 years with whole house backup generators.  The first hurdle was getting something clean enough so the two large APC UPS's I run would tolerate being on backup power without cycling on and off line.

The next plateau was getting something large enough to start the 4 ton AC on the house without torturing the compressor during the startup cycle.

10,500 continuous with 13,000 peak was just enough to run the AC, but startups were sluggish.  So, I went up in capacity one more iteration to 18,000 continuous 27,000 peak and it starts up just like it's on the power grid.

One other thing to mention is any generator power quality for a conventional rig is dependent on the load.  The higher up the load curve it's pushed, the more harmonic distortion in the power output.  I have an APC 3000W UPS on the entertainment system and an APC 2200 on computer and home office equipment to include security systems - cameras and monitored motion detectors.

If your wiring is setup, try renting different sizes to make sure you end up with enough capacity.

My setup backfeeds the whole house so all rooms have light, outdoor floods work, etc.  And plenty of headroom for AC startup in the summer.

Mal Brown

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2021, 12:26:39 AM »

We have a 14kw General that I had installed after Hurricane Sandy.  Got it from Generators Direct on the web.  It has been flawless.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2021, 10:48:23 AM »

No experience with the Duromax.

Do you have natural gas available in your neighborhood? In my city, NG is piped throughout most residential areas but not to every home. I believe the city will run a meter "close" to the home at no charge, then the homeowner have to take it from there. 

I have a Winco, primarily because it's already setup for tri-fuel. Since I have NG at my house, I can run it for as long as needed without worrying about fuel. Electricity was out at my house for 6 days after hurricane Harvey. Some of the hard hit areas were out for a month or more. Many folks were having a hard time finding gasoline as a result.

There are NG conversion kits, but will probably void the warranty. I've heard from other folks who have had issues with the kits.

The output is a bit lower when running on NG but it runs all the important stuff.  AC, fridge and the house lights no problem. I installed a soft start kit on the AC to help prevent lugging down the generator whenever the AC kicks on. It definitely helped.  Having a working AC is important to have in my part of the country when the power is out for several days after a hurricane. Hurricanes only hit in the summer around here  ::)

Steven Cohen

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2021, 10:01:45 AM »

Did a forum search for DuroMax; 2 results returned from about 10 years ago.

Interested if anyone has experience with the DuroMax brand of generators in the last 10 years.  Several years ago, I was looking for an "upgrade" to my current 5Kw Briggs&Stratton, but couldn't justify the expense for the greater wattage.  My house is all electric; I'm needing something around 12Kw range. 

Recently, I came across DuroMax dual-fuel generators (gas/LP).  A lot of wattage (50amp service), but probably 1/2 the price of other generators I looked at a few years ago.

For example:

12Kw
https://www.duromaxpower.com/collections/home-backup/products/duromax-xp15000eh-15000-watt-v-twin-electric-start-dual-fuel-hybrid-portable-generator

10Kw
https://www.duromaxpower.com/collections/dual-fuel-generators/products/13000-watt-18-hp-portable-gas-electric-start-generator-with-co-alert

So far, my research has shown DuroMax to be of good quality. 

However, the customer product ratings on their website are NOT the ratings for the generator that you would be looking at.  The ratings are an aggregate of their product line.  Also, the Westinghouse line of generators look very, very similar to the DuroMax line... another wrench in the decision making.

Thoughts/experiences??

Thanks.

My thoughts are, do you need that much power? If so, how mission critical is generating power? For example, is someone with heath issues depending on electrical power and needs more than a lower rated output generator? Do you have the place to store safely the amount of fuel a large generator will use in the event of fuel resupply is not possible during an emergency for a week or more? Have you factored in the costs and hassle of storing large amounts of fuel?

There is very little information out there on DuroMax, except manufacturer supplied claims. If I needed a mission critical generator, I would look at a proven brand. I also would consider diesel unless I had a natural gas line at the location. Even then, I would weigh the costs of being dependent on a natural gas supplier as I hear some of them are no longer using localized natural gas pumps to keep gas flowing during outages, with on-site diesel, I am in control of fuel supply.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2021, 10:37:58 AM »

My thoughts are, do you need that much power? If so, how mission critical is generating power? For example, is someone with heath issues depending on electrical power and needs more than a lower rated output generator? Do you have the place to store safely the amount of fuel a large generator will use in the event of fuel resupply is not possible during an emergency for a week or more? Have you factored in the costs and hassle of storing large amounts of fuel?

There is very little information out there on DuroMax, except manufacturer supplied claims. If I needed a mission critical generator, I would look at a proven brand. I also would consider diesel unless I had a natural gas line at the location. Even then, I would weigh the costs of being dependent on a natural gas supplier as I hear some of them are no longer using localized natural gas pumps to keep gas flowing during outages, with on-site diesel, I am in control of fuel supply.

It depends on the *real* needs (medical, critical HVAC and food/drug storage, communications and maybe vehicle charging) versus "it would be nice to have...."

If power is out for a week IMHO there are far bigger problems.  Riding out a power outage longer than a couple of days means one probably should have evacuated.

Everyone's situation is different.  I don't think most homeowners (or their HOAs) will be willing to undertake the environmental permitting and remediation to put 500 gallons of diesel on their property but some folks may have a critical need.  As for NG or diesel or propane or gasoline... use what's available most consistently in your locale and what is legal and ethical to handle & store at your home.

Edit PS - if one has critical needs for backup power, I'd not purchase anything I can carry out of the store.  Seriously, if life, health or basic existence depends on having electricity, I think a *dedicated* generator, transfer switch, and professional installation is answer.  The portables are for minor emergencies, portable power, and recreational activities away from the home.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 10:41:45 AM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steven Cohen

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2021, 12:32:39 PM »

It depends on the *real* needs (medical, critical HVAC and food/drug storage, communications and maybe vehicle charging) versus "it would be nice to have...."

If power is out for a week IMHO there are far bigger problems.  Riding out a power outage longer than a couple of days means one probably should have evacuated.

Everyone's situation is different.  I don't think most homeowners (or their HOAs) will be willing to undertake the environmental permitting and remediation to put 500 gallons of diesel on their property but some folks may have a critical need.  As for NG or diesel or propane or gasoline... use what's available most consistently in your locale and what is legal and ethical to handle & store at your home.

Edit PS - if one has critical needs for backup power, I'd not purchase anything I can carry out of the store.  Seriously, if life, health or basic existence depends on having electricity, I think a *dedicated* generator, transfer switch, and professional installation is answer.  The portables are for minor emergencies, portable power, and recreational activities away from the home.

I agree with everything you stated. Everyones needs are different.

In my case, evacuating would involve driving 13 hours+, 3 days prior to a hurricane coming so evacuation is not an option. I also do not have a place to sink a propane tank or store large amounts of any type of fuel so I opted for a Yamaha E3000iSEB inverter generator that uses about five gallons of gas or one 20LB propane tank per 24 hours at half load.
Generally after a major storm, fuel becomes available in a week or two. I keep about 25 gallons of stabilized and rotated Ethanol free gas and four, 20LB propane tanks on hand.

My electrical load is a 5000 BTC window A/C, a nubulizer (small medical compressor), a 25 cubic foot refrigerator, and a coffee maker. Additional small load items are a few LED lights, a TV, radio, laptop, a small IP camera setup, and a modem if internet is available.

I load shed as needed such as shutting off the A/C while making coffee. When ever I purchase new motor based appliances I look for variable speed compressor to reduce high start up demand.

My back ups to the Yamaha inverter are my hybrid Toyotas and a 1KW Xantrex true sine wave inverter, an APC Pro 1500 VA with 1500 VA external battery, Ridgid 18 volt LION powered LED light, fan & power tools, and lots of Eneloop batteries for flashlights and radios. This combination of equipment will run essentials for a week or more with extreme load shedding. 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 01:22:38 PM by Steven Cohen »

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2021, 12:57:45 PM »

^^^ Yep, there are many considerations.  In the winter months I use a 9000W copper core generator as my house has natural gas heat, gas clothes dryer and gas water heater.  Summer months, with the AC and attic fans running I use a larger generator.

Capacity -vs- fuel consumption, type of fuel(s) it will run on, noise level, AC startup capacity, clean sine wave, and so on are all considerations.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2021, 12:57:45 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 19 queries.