ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chauvet DMX-AN2 Interface Connectivity  (Read 4056 times)

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
Chauvet DMX-AN2 Interface Connectivity
« on: November 06, 2021, 08:05:21 PM »

Anybody working with a Chauvet DMX-AN2 interface adaptor?  I picked up one for testing and can't get it to function.

Mike J Davis

Re: Chauvet DMX-AN2 Interface Connectivity
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 12:57:22 PM »

Anybody working with a Chauvet DMX-AN2 interface adaptor?  I picked up one for testing and can't get it to function.

I just grabbed one as well. Are you able to plug it into a network port and see it? If you just enter the IP address listed on the bottom of the device, it should pop you into a small web page where you can configure the device. You’ll need to configure whatever device you’re using to connect to it to have an IP address on that same subnet.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 02:23:58 PM »

Yes, I've gotten into the server screen with it and got it limping along.

Can't get it to function as a stand alone.

With on Xpress512 is works, but only 1 port so 1 additional universe.

I'm going for a 3 universe setup - House, Stage, Dance Floor.

Have it connected to my home LAN switch.  Can't get it to work connected directly to PC with PC disconnected from the LAN.

Today I am testing with 2x Chauvet Xpress512's and no luck yet.  The two Xpress 512's work fine for universe 1 & 2.

Mike J Davis

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2021, 02:37:11 PM »

Yes, I've gotten into the server screen with it and got it limping along.

Can't get it to function as a stand alone.

With on Xpress512 is works, but only 1 port so 1 additional universe.

I'm going for a 3 universe setup - House, Stage, Dance Floor.

Have it connected to my home LAN switch.  Can't get it to work connected directly to PC with PC disconnected from the LAN.

Today I am testing with 2x Chauvet Xpress512's and no luck yet.  The two Xpress 512's work fine for universe 1 & 2.

Have you installed ArtNetView? It’s a great way to make sure you’re that the traffic is at least going to the right place.

Are you using Unicast? That was the big issue I ran into. MagicQ defaults to Broadcast for all ArtNet universes, and most routers will block Broadcast data. Switching to Unicast (and setting the IP correctly in the software,) fixed everything for me.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2021, 03:22:57 PM »

I don't know what ArtNetView or Unicast are.  But suspect I will very soon.  :)

I have it working now, however with two USB Xpress 512's also on the system.  The Express 512's are assigned to Universe 1 & 2, while the DMX-AN2 seems to be working Port 1 to universe #3, and Port 2 to universe #4.

I ordered an Express 1024 to use with this setup.

Running Chauvet ShowExpress for the lighting control application.

I'll lookup ArtNetView & Unicast.

Mike J Davis

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2021, 03:30:08 PM »

I don't know what ArtNetView or Unicast are.  But suspect I will very soon.  :)

I have it working now, however with two USB Xpress 512's also on the system.  The Express 512's are assigned to Universe 1 & 2, while the DMX-AN2 seems to be working Port 1 to universe #3, and Port 2 to universe #4.

I ordered an Express 1024 to use with this setup.

Running Chauvet ShowExpress for the lighting control application.

I'll lookup ArtNetView & Unicast.

ArtNetView is an application you can download (Windows or Mac,) that shows you every universe you have enabled on your system. It didn’t do a LOT to help me diagnose my issues, but it’s great to be able to see a confirmation that the data you think you’re sending actually makes it out onto the network.

Unicast is one of the transmission methods supported under ArtNet.

Unicast means the software sends messages only to the address which needs to receive it. This is really good for keeping network traffic to a minimum as universe count climbs.

The most common alternative is Broadcast, where every bit of data is sent to literally every address on the subnet. That means a LOT of addresses are being sent data they don’t need, and it can choke a router/switch pretty quickly.

The advantage to Broadcast would be if you had many fixtures on the same universe all listening for ArtNet. I don’t see this as terribly relevant anymore, since ArtNet is really used when you have an endpoint (fixture, ArtNet to DMX converter, pixel driver, etc.) that consumes at least one full universe. In this case, Unicast is great because you only send that universe’s data to that IP address. Check in ShowExpress where you set up the ArtNet universes. You probably have a field labeled “Broadcast.” Change that to Unicast, and it should ask you for the IP address for the item on that universe.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2021, 03:46:26 PM »

So far, so good.  It's working now for Universe 3 & 4.

Connected to LAN switch.  Now to try it on the laptop without a LAN or internet, just stand-alone.

John Fruits

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2021, 07:39:03 PM »

For those playing along at home, more info.
https://youtu.be/Jr7evHwRdrk
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2021, 01:57:39 AM »

For those playing along at home, more info.
https://youtu.be/Jr7evHwRdrk

Helpful link, led me to this:  https://www.chauvetdj.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/DMX-AN_ShowXpress_Guide_Rev1_ML6_WO.pdf

Working thus far, but am only able to get 2 universes from the DMX-AN2 with 2x Express512's connected.  I'll keep working on that aspect and post when I get if figured out.

Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 05:32:14 PM by Steve-White »

Mike J Davis

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2021, 01:26:32 PM »

Helpful link, led me to this:  https://www.chauvetdj.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/DMX-AN_ShowXpress_Guide_Rev1_ML6_WO.pdf

Working thus far, but only get 2 universes with 2x Express512's connected.  I'll keep working on that aspect and post when I get if figured out.

Thanks guys.

So my read of this is that each Xpress512 is a single-universe USB-to-DMX adapter. So if you have 2 of those connected, then that would only account for 2 universes - one per Xpress512?

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2021, 05:59:39 PM »

So my read of this is that each Xpress512 is a single-universe USB-to-DMX adapter. So if you have 2 of those connected, then that would only account for 2 universes - one per Xpress512?

I wasn't clear on my post.  I updated it to read better.

To get 2x additional universes from the DMX-AN2, there needs to be 2x Xpress-512's connected via USB.    With just 1x Xpress-512 connected via USB, the DMX-AN2 only outputs 1x additional universe.

Looks like with a Xpress-1024 2x universe box that the DMX-AN2 should output 2x universes.  I have an Xpress-1024 ordered.

Mike J Davis

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2021, 01:34:45 PM »

I wasn't clear on my post.  I updated it to read better.

To get 2x additional universes from the DMX-AN2, there needs to be 2x Xpress-512's connected via USB.    With just 1x Xpress-512 connected via USB, the DMX-AN2 only outputs 1x additional universe.

Looks like with a Xpress-1024 2x universe box that the DMX-AN2 should output 2x universes.  I have an Xpress-1024 ordered.

Interesting! That must be unique to ShowExpress - I’m using a DMX AN2 in MagicQ and I get both universes whether or not I have any other interface connected.

Hopefully the Xpress-1024 gets you where you’re trying to go!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2021, 01:34:45 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 21 queries.