ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley system for small venue  (Read 5782 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Danley system for small venue
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2021, 03:55:10 PM »

Lol.

My kid likes edm. I have taken him to see Deadmau5 and the Glitch Mob. Neither of these shows had what I call "excessive bass". The rigs they used would be typical of a Texas Country festival. Texas Country is not Nashville Country. You are right. We are coming from different worlds, and it's clear you haven't experience a Texas-sized PA yet.

If I had a blank check to buy subs suitable for EDM or whatever. I'd buy the TH812. It has the finest, cleanest, deepest low end of anything I've ever heard. It is still overkill (by a factor of probably 10) for your venue, but it's the one cabinet that could dig down into the low 20's without breaking a sweat year round. You could pair that up with any Danley mid-hi pack that reaches down to 80 or below. The SH96 would be a great companion. It goes solid down to about 55-60hz. So all your impact would be delivered by the mains (4 15's in each) and the ACTUAL sub frequencies would be delivered by the TH812.

This will be an expensive PA to buy. Especially when you are talking about a room that could be serviced 4 powered 18's and 2 powered tops from guitar center. I'm sure you've seen rooms equipped like that and the people inside were still dancing and buying drinks.......

Dancing? Is that what they call the nocturnal terpsechorian ejacumentae Frank Zappa mentioned?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2021, 04:41:27 PM »

Dancing? Is that what they call the nocturnal terpsechorian ejacumentae Frank Zappa mentioned?

Only when they have glosticks and furry boots.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

John Schalk

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2021, 06:13:16 PM »

You are right and wrong about the above statements.

Yes the tapped horns do not go any lower when coupled together.  They are basically tuned to operate as low as possible in singles or multiples.

"Traditional horns" do not go very much lower when used in multiples.  Yes, maybe a couple of hertz, but not much,
Thanks for the explanation Ivan.  I was hoping you'd chime in.

Peter Morris

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2021, 06:51:50 PM »

Peter,
I am under the impression that tapped horns do not work like traditional horn designs in that they do not "couple up" to lower the frequency response when used in pairs or clusters.  I'm pretty sure I learned that here on this forum.  Am I wrong?

Sorry John, my explanation was not very clear, I didn't have time to finish the post  ... here is what happens to standard horns Vs a tapped horns as you put multiples boxes together - ignore the relative amplitudes, they were adjusted so you can compare the frequency response more easily.

Note - these are not SIM's of Danley boxes.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 08:32:06 AM by Peter Morris »

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2021, 02:49:49 PM »

I have a Danley system that I use in a 200 capacity room for mostly House/Techno shows.
4 TH-118
2 SH-69
1 DNA20k4
The SH-69 will offer higher output & wider frequency coverage than the SM-80s & the 60x90 coverage pattern works well in smaller rooms.
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2021, 06:41:29 PM »

I just got a pair of SM96s.  I did a quick shootout in the driveway last sunday with one SM80 and one SM96 over two TH118s.
My reason for getting the SM96s was to fill in the 'hole' between the SM80 and TH118.  It definitely did that!
I'm going to do a tree lighting this weekend with just the SM96s as they claim to go to 50hz.  I did a little slow sweep test and they do!
I cranked it up with both tops and subs and I really liked it; they played well together.
They aren't as loud as the SM80s, but for a small venue, I think they would be ideal.  Add some subs when you need them.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2021, 09:59:54 AM »

I just got a pair of SM96s.  I did a quick shootout in the driveway last sunday with one SM80 and one SM96 over two TH118s.
My reason for getting the SM96s was to fill in the 'hole' between the SM80 and TH118.  It definitely did that!
I'm going to do a tree lighting this weekend with just the SM96s as they claim to go to 50hz.  I did a little slow sweep test and they do!
I cranked it up with both tops and subs and I really liked it; they played well together.
They aren't as loud as the SM80s, but for a small venue, I think they would be ideal.  Add some subs when you need them.

We are using Sh96's in our 600 seat church sanctuary. I don't feel the need to add subs at all. In fact when I took over this room they had 2 QSC HPR118's in there, and after spending a little time with the PA it was clear that the "subs" weren't doing anything, and so I removed them. It helps that we have a natural bump around 45 hz in the room too, so we get a real full range PA out of just the Sh96's.

I know that's two different products, but I have to say. Danley doesn't seem to fudge their specs online like so many other companies do! When they say this cab will do 50 hz they mean it!
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

John L Nobile

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2021, 10:19:03 AM »

We are using Sh96's in our 600 seat church sanctuary. I don't feel the need to add subs at all. In fact when I took over this room they had 2 QSC HPR118's in there, and after spending a little time with the PA it was clear that the "subs" weren't doing anything, and so I removed them. It helps that we have a natural bump around 45 hz in the room too, so we get a real full range PA out of just the Sh96's.

I know that's two different products, but I have to say. Danley doesn't seem to fudge their specs online like so many other companies do! When they say this cab will do 50 hz they mean it!

Their specs confuse me. I have a pair of SH96HO's that we got 6 or 7 years ago. I just looked at the specs of that box and the freq response is 45 - 13.5K (-3dB). And it has a single 1.4" HF.
I seem to remember the specs when we bought them being 60 - 20K and there was a coaxial HF. Also, the box has an angled end to accommodate wheels. The latest factory EQ settings sound horrible with my boxes. It seems to be a different cabinet and yet, they've kept the same name. Maybe they should modify the names of their boxes as they make changes. SH96HOB? Or at least put dates on their published EQ/Xover settings.

Also I'm not sure why the HF on the new ones only goes to 13.5K. That's probably the limit of my hearing but that seems low in this day and age.

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2021, 10:52:12 AM »

Make sure that we're comparing apples to apples-the SM96 and SH96 are much different beasts.

Best regards,

John

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2021, 12:42:55 PM »

Their specs confuse me. I have a pair of SH96HO's that we got 6 or 7 years ago. I just looked at the specs of that box and the freq response is 45 - 13.5K (-3dB). And it has a single 1.4" HF.
I seem to remember the specs when we bought them being 60 - 20K and there was a coaxial HF. Also, the box has an angled end to accommodate wheels. The latest factory EQ settings sound horrible with my boxes. It seems to be a different cabinet and yet, they've kept the same name. Maybe they should modify the names of their boxes as they make changes. SH96HOB? Or at least put dates on their published EQ/Xover settings.

Also I'm not sure why the HF on the new ones only goes to 13.5K. That's probably the limit of my hearing but that seems low in this day and age.

The older SH96HO used the 2-way coaxial HF driver, the new ones a single 1.4" driver. The touring model has the angle for wheels and tip back handles.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2021, 12:42:55 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 22 queries.