ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley system for small venue  (Read 5807 times)

John L Nobile

Re: Danley system for small venue
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2021, 12:52:38 PM »

The older SH96HO used the 2-way coaxial HF driver, the new ones a single 1.4" driver. The touring model has the angle for wheels and tip back handles.

I see that but I don't understand why they don't change the name a bit when the speaker has different specs and doesn't sound the same.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2021, 09:33:46 AM »

I just got a pair of SM96s.  I did a quick shootout in the driveway last sunday with one SM80 and one SM96 over two TH118s.
My reason for getting the SM96s was to fill in the 'hole' between the SM80 and TH118.  It definitely did that!
I'm going to do a tree lighting this weekend with just the SM96s as they claim to go to 50hz.  I did a little slow sweep test and they do!
I cranked it up with both tops and subs and I really liked it; they played well together.
They aren't as loud as the SM80s, but for a small venue, I think they would be ideal.  Add some subs when you need them.

What's the 'hole' Dave??
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Josh Daube

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2021, 12:16:24 AM »

At this point my interest is divided between SM80s and SH69s - comparable output in mids/highs but of course the SH69 extends lower while the SM80 has more vertical coverage.

The aforementioned "hole" seems to be referring to the cutoff on the SM80, and the compensation needed from subs  to give a punchy kick.

Guess I'm wondering how Danley veterans feel about these two esp. for dance music - have you ever noticed weak kicks in a SM80/TH118 combo? Do the SH69s have limited coverage if not splayed 2x per side?

As a side note, I'd love to compare them in person if there's anyone in the NYC area who has 'em up and firing :)

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2021, 12:39:18 PM »

Guess I'm wondering how Danley veterans feel about these two esp. for dance music - have you ever noticed weak kicks in a SM80/TH118 combo? Do the SH69s have limited coverage if not splayed 2x per side?
Josh,

Since you are planning an installation, you could rig the SH69 for 90 degree horizontal coverage. Most 250 seat venues do not require more than 60 degree vertical, and would be better off with  less HF hitting the floor and ceiling.

Considering the top cabinets should be rigged well above head level, and probably won't fly the subs, a crossover frequency around 100 Hz would be advisable.

The SM80 is only a single sealed 12" that drops -10dB from 200 to 100Hz, peak output at 100 Hz in the 125dB range, similar to a decent floor wedge. Not a "weak" kick if you are standing on top of it, not too impressive "slam" from a distance.
The SH69 has around +10dB output at 100 Hz, more than "twice as loud".
A single TH-118 can hit in the 140dB peak range at 100Hz, +6 for two.
Considering you are thinking in terms of four TH-118, a pair would have +20dB headroom over a pair of SM-80 in the 100Hz acoustical crossover range.

Whether that 20 dB LF "headroom" compared to low mid output translates to "weak kicks" is subjective, but I'd personally prefer to not push the excursion on the 12" to the point where kick drum modulates the vocals. That said, I'm old  ;)

Art

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2021, 02:30:37 PM »

Hey Art,

Just a quick note that I'd expect more like 119dB@100Hz from a single SM80, based on a 12" cone with 7mm Xmax, and that's groundplane.

http://www.baudline.com/erik/bass/xmaxer.html

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2021, 07:26:03 PM »

Hey Art,

Just a quick note that I'd expect more like 119dB@100Hz from a single SM80, based on a 12" cone with 7mm Xmax, and that's groundplane.

http://www.baudline.com/erik/bass/xmaxer.html

Chris
True.

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2021, 10:29:19 AM »

At this point my interest is divided between SM80s and SH69s - comparable output in mids/highs but of course the SH69 extends lower while the SM80 has more vertical coverage.

The aforementioned "hole" seems to be referring to the cutoff on the SM80, and the compensation needed from subs  to give a punchy kick.

As a side note, I'd love to compare them in person if there's anyone in the NYC area who has 'em up and firing :)

Have a look at the SM80M. It's roughly the same price, it can double as a floor monitor, and it's a ported LF rather than sealed, so it goes down to about 70hz if I recall correctly. I'm not in NYC, but I have about 8-10 nightclubs in North Carolina that have either SM80, SM80M, SH50, or some other variety of Danley tops and either TH118, TH118XL, BC415, THMini15, or THMini subs. Most of them are within a 6 block radius in Raleigh, NC if you ever want to come check them out.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2021, 10:29:19 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 25 queries.