ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley system for small venue  (Read 5796 times)

Josh Daube

Danley system for small venue
« on: October 31, 2021, 07:44:55 PM »

Hi all,

Looking to install a PA for a small venue (250 cap) and I'm sold on Danley, now just trying to finalize my speaker choices.

Music will be eclectic (ranging from techno to hip hop to jazz) and I'm thinking that I could start with 4 x TH118 (maybe XL?) and then still unsure about tops. Seems like the SM80s are a common pairing for touring systems, though I'm wondering if there are better options for an install - is there any reason to consider (either 2x or 4x) SH46, SH50, or the SM80F?

Also curious if there is any significant advantage to using 2 x DBH218 (or even 1 BC415) instead of TH118s. Seems like all the relevant factors (weight, price, setup modularity) favor the TH118 but I could be convinced otherwise. If all goes well, I would ideally want 6 TH118s, or something equivalent.

Lastly, amplification. The DNA20K4 is the obvious choice, however they are a bit too pricy new, and rarely seem to hit the used market. Does anyone have cheaper recommendations to power a system such as 4 x TH118 and 2 x SM80?

Thank you for your help!

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Danley system for small venue
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 08:21:49 PM »

Why do you think that you need 4-6 TH118's in a 250 cap room?

I have 2 DBH218's in an outdoor arena and do country/church music just fine for crowds of 2000-3000 people.

You need to come back with "I expect this much SPL at XX frequency" and let someone make a much better suggestion for this rig. Also we would need basic specs of the room, like how wide, deep, and tall it is. Basic construction materials etc.

Some of y'all is just crazy....
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Josh Daube

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 09:45:32 PM »

I have 2 DBH218's in an outdoor arena and do country/church music just fine for crowds of 2000-3000 people.

You need to come back with "I expect this much SPL at XX frequency" and let someone make a much better suggestion for this rig. Also we would need basic specs of the room, like how wide, deep, and tall it is. Basic construction materials etc.

Think we're coming from very different worlds here Tim - techno requires a bit more bass than your average church service.

I posted in the hopes of learning the pros/cons of pairing various Danley horns with TH118s in an install setting. We are looking at a number of spaces with different measurements/materials so I cannot give a precise answer on that front. The commonality between them all is lots of concrete and high ceilings - think a small warehouse space. Are spatial measurements relevant because of the different coverage patterns of the horns?

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 10:07:12 PM »

Think we're coming from very different worlds here Tim - techno requires a bit more bass than your average church service.

I posted in the hopes of learning the pros/cons of pairing various Danley horns with TH118s in an install setting. We are looking at a number of spaces with different measurements/materials so I cannot give a precise answer on that front. The commonality between them all is lots of concrete and high ceilings - think a small warehouse space. Are spatial measurements relevant because of the different coverage patterns of the horns?

Josh,
Perhaps the Danley user group on Facebook might get you a larger pool of users with experience with all the various boxes and combinations.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 10:56:29 PM »

Hi Josh,

The first step in designing a sound system - or anything for that matter - is to figure out your requirements.  SPLs, frequencies, coverage, etc. are the spec points you need to settle on first and combine that with your venue size to figure out the right system.  Without all this determined beforehand any recommendations you get will only be guesswork.  Hope this helps!

Peter Morris

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2021, 06:45:25 AM »

Hi all,

Looking to install a PA for a small venue (250 cap) and I'm sold on Danley, now just trying to finalize my speaker choices.

Music will be eclectic (ranging from techno to hip hop to jazz) and I'm thinking that I could start with 4 x TH118 (maybe XL?) and then still unsure about tops. Seems like the SM80s are a common pairing for touring systems, though I'm wondering if there are better options for an install - is there any reason to consider (either 2x or 4x) SH46, SH50, or the SM80F?

Also curious if there is any significant advantage to using 2 x DBH218 (or even 1 BC415) instead of TH118s. Seems like all the relevant factors (weight, price, setup modularity) favor the TH118 but I could be convinced otherwise. If all goes well, I would ideally want 6 TH118s, or something equivalent.

Lastly, amplification. The DNA20K4 is the obvious choice, however they are a bit too pricy new, and rarely seem to hit the used market. Does anyone have cheaper recommendations to power a system such as 4 x TH118 and 2 x SM80?

Thank you for your help!

Hi Josh,

I recently put a pair of SH46's - one a side on their side for 60 degrees horizontal coverage and 4 TH118's in a small club, I suspect the venue is a similar size to your venue.  It works very well.  The advantage for the TH118's is that they work well and go low in small clusters.

John Schalk

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2021, 09:51:53 AM »

I recently put a pair of SH46's - one a side on their side for 60 degrees horizontal coverage and 4 TH118's in a small club, I suspect the venue is a similar size to your venue.  It works very well.  The advantage for the TH118's is that they work well and go low in small clusters.
Peter,
I am under the impression that tapped horns do not work like traditional horn designs in that they do not "couple up" to lower the frequency response when used in pairs or clusters.  I'm pretty sure I learned that here on this forum.  Am I wrong?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2021, 12:07:25 PM »

Hi all,

Thank you for your help!
Before any useful suggestion can be made on the tops, we MUST know the dimensions of the room, ceiling height etc. where the speakers might can go etc.

Rooms come in all different sizes.

It is not just the rooms size, but the intended coverage area, and also areas that you might like to have less sound in (such as the bar area so they can hear drink orders easier)

THEN you can start to look at choices that would be properly cover the room.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2021, 12:15:15 PM »

Peter,
I am under the impression that tapped horns do not work like traditional horn designs in that they do not "couple up" to lower the frequency response when used in pairs or clusters.  I'm pretty sure I learned that here on this forum.  Am I wrong?
You are right and wrong about the above statements.

Yes the tapped horns do not go any lower when coupled together.  They are basically tuned to operate as low as possible in singles or multiples.

"Traditional horns" do not go very much lower when used in multiples.  Yes, maybe a couple of hertz, but not much,

What you DO get when you use multiple traditional horns is the "feeling" that there is more bass down low.  This is because the horns are designed to be to small (in order to have a decent size).  This results is the lower end of the response having dips or nulls in the response.  ripples in the response, instead of being flat.

When you put multiple traditional horns together, the mouth areas couple, and the dips in the response even out or get flatter.

So it sounds like there is more bass but in reality, it is simple less loss of bass in the operating range, due to the smoother response.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2021, 01:39:13 PM »

Lol.

My kid likes edm. I have taken him to see Deadmau5 and the Glitch Mob. Neither of these shows had what I call "excessive bass". The rigs they used would be typical of a Texas Country festival. Texas Country is not Nashville Country. You are right. We are coming from different worlds, and it's clear you haven't experience a Texas-sized PA yet.

If I had a blank check to buy subs suitable for EDM or whatever. I'd buy the TH812. It has the finest, cleanest, deepest low end of anything I've ever heard. It is still overkill (by a factor of probably 10) for your venue, but it's the one cabinet that could dig down into the low 20's without breaking a sweat year round. You could pair that up with any Danley mid-hi pack that reaches down to 80 or below. The SH96 would be a great companion. It goes solid down to about 55-60hz. So all your impact would be delivered by the mains (4 15's in each) and the ACTUAL sub frequencies would be delivered by the TH812.

This will be an expensive PA to buy. Especially when you are talking about a room that could be serviced 4 powered 18's and 2 powered tops from guitar center. I'm sure you've seen rooms equipped like that and the people inside were still dancing and buying drinks.......
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2021, 01:39:13 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.