Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

X32 Theatre Control connection issues

(1/3) > >>

Bob Stuber:
I'm setting up an X32 for an upcoming musical at a local college. I'm using James Holt's X32 Theatre Control to enable line-by-line mixing. This will be the third show we have used this set-up (but the first time since 2019).

The software initially connects as expected, but immediately disconnects. The connection is long enough that the software re-writes the scribble strips on the X32, but not long enough to be useful.

The software scans and finds the X32 with the correct IP (that is, the IP on the X32 matches what shows up on the software's scan). There isn't much documentation about connection problems, and I haven't found any web posts about problems. I'm assuming that is because connection problems are rare. Does anyone have any idea of what I might look at?

Here are some details:
We have two x32 consoles available. One is on Firmware 4.06. The other is still on 3._. Both respond to the software the same (initially connects, then disconnects).
I'm using a Windows 10 PC, with the latest version of the Theater Control software installed.
We are connecting through an Ethernet cable. (We've tried different cables, we've gone directly from computer to mixer, as well as connected with Ethernet through a router.)

When I get back to the theater, possibly tonight, I'm going to try connecting from a couple of different computers--another PC and a Mac. By the way, when I'm at home, my computer connects Theatre Control to my M32 without any issues.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bob

Chris Hindle:
Generally speaking, it is bad karma to have different firmware living at the same house.....
It may NOT be YOUR problem today, but it will bite you eventually.
Chris.

Bob Stuber:

--- Quote from: Chris Hindle on October 26, 2021, 12:26:43 PM ---Generally speaking, it is bad karma to have different firmware living at the same house.....
It may NOT be YOUR problem today, but it will bite you eventually.
Chris.

--- End quote ---

I agree Chris. I'll update the other one too. I held off doing it in case the firmware was the variable causing the problem with the connection.

Riley Casey:
Multiple firmware levels aside have you tried initializing the problem consoles before connecting the computer? Back up all settings and other hygiene as required before initializing but that should be a baseline. The fact that it connects enough to rewrite the strips sounds like connection isn't the issue.

Russell Ault:

--- Quote from: Bob Stuber on October 26, 2021, 11:54:22 AM ---{...}
Thanks in advance for any help.

Bob

--- End quote ---

Since no one else caught it (which is a shame, because it's much too rare): Welcome to the forum! Thank you for actually reading the stickies and getting your display name right! :)

--- Quote from: Bob Stuber on October 26, 2021, 11:54:22 AM ---{..} The software initially connects as expected, but immediately disconnects. The connection is long enough that the software re-writes the scribble strips on the X32, but not long enough to be useful. {...}

--- End quote ---

I haven't used X32TC, but I've spent quite a bit of time with the X/M32 OSC control protocol. It sounds like X32TC is able to send data to the console but either (a) never receives anything back or (b) receives back information that it considers malformed (which I would say is less likely).

On that first point, one thing you didn't mention in your original post is the exact network connection configuration of the console(s) and computer(s) you've tried. Specifically, what is the IP address and subnet mask on each device? Also, is X32TC the first remote device you've tried to connect to the X32 after it boots up? At least historically (and I believe this is still the case) the X32 is only capable of talking to four remote clients at a time (and I don't recall exactly what it does when you try to connect client number five).

On the second point, as Riley mentioned, when was the last time you did a factory reset on the X32s in question? It's unlikely, but it's possible there's some weirdness tucked away somewhere from an older firmware version that X32TC is receiving and is causing so much confusion it feels the need to disconnect.

-Russ

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version