ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Show designer discontinued  (Read 2164 times)

duane massey

Show designer discontinued
« on: October 25, 2021, 11:11:56 AM »

Now that the Show Designer series has been discontinued, any suggestions for decent controllers under $1k?
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: Show designer discontinued
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 07:50:14 PM »

Hi Duane, you can probably guess where I'm going with this, but the short answer is "no".  The longer answer is "maybe".

Buying new I can't think of anything under $1k worth owning as a general use light board, but it all depends on what your requirements are.  Obviously software plus wing is an option.  Looking to the used market, an ETC SmartFade should come in under your limit in decent condition.  Another one of our PSW members just scored a nice deal on a used ETC Congo Jr., so it can certainly be done but it all depends on what your needs and expectations are.  The used market can be quite spotty though so it definitely helps to know what you're looking for first.  Good luck!

duane massey

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 12:55:15 AM »

Thanks, Jeff. I'm not looking for myself, just want to see what I should suggest to clients. All installs, medium complexity, inexperienced operators (or DJ's), so needs to have a hardware control surface. SD 2 was an ideal controller, but mostly used SD 1 for years now.
Thinking that the next best option is the MIDICON ll w/ the ADJ/Elation software/interface package, or (if I can make it work) using a Novation control surface for playback. Gonna have to learn some new tricks, I suppose.....
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 02:03:16 AM »

The closest seems to be Chamsys QuickQ.  It's not under $1k anymore due to recent inflation, but nothing under $1k in today's dollars is worth considering IMHO. 

Jands StageCL and Pathway Cognito 2 (higher price) are worth considering. 

The SmartFade series was a step down, too many clients complained about "You mean it also doesn't do ______?" 

Other than some toy options, clients need to be educated that the software that runs a light board (physical or in the box) isn't the expensive part; it's the hardware knobs, buttons, screens, and faders.  A non-software/wing option can't be thought of as the value option; they're paying extra for the hardware to make it easier to use.     
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 07:04:13 AM »

Jands StageCL and Pathway Cognito 2 (higher price) are worth considering. 

The SmartFade series was a step down, too many clients complained about "You mean it also doesn't do ______?" 

I agree with both of these statements as well.  The SmartFade is quite limited by today's standards but depending on the user's expectations can work well for simple applications.  I know several people that have been happy with the Cognito 2 - particularly those with little to no background in lighting.

Thinking that the next best option is the MIDICON ll w/ the ADJ/Elation software/interface package, or (if I can make it work) using a Novation control surface for playback.

I think you're on the right track with this.  Since it sounds like your needs call for a 21st century controller you're probably best off to hide a computer in a closet somewhere and give the DJ a MIDI pad to trigger playbacks with.  This way you can "lock out" the inexperienced users from seriously messing up your programs but still give them some hands-on control.  Hope this helps!

John Fruits

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 07:53:30 AM »

This may be unobtanium but the Equipson/WorkPro/Lightshark might be of interest.  There may also be issues from both the pandemic and the chip shortage.  The Lightshark was distributed in the US for a while by Blizzard, then Equipson had a rep in the US who they no longer list.  The thing about Lightshark is it is browser based. 
https://www.lightshark.es/
Thomann in the UK has it listed, but the LS-1 is 5-7 week lead time. They do have the Core in stock.
https://www.thomannmusic.com/work_lightshark_ls_core.htm?ref=prod_variations_326842_2
Since it is browser based it can be controlled with older Ipads if they have Safari.  Some also considered using a touchscreen chromebook. 
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 03:48:11 PM »

This may be unobtanium but the Equipson/WorkPro/Lightshark might be of interest.  There may also be issues from both the pandemic and the chip shortage.  The Lightshark was distributed in the US for a while by Blizzard, then Equipson had a rep in the US who they no longer list.  The thing about Lightshark is it is browser based. 
https://www.lightshark.es/
Thomann in the UK has it listed, but the LS-1 is 5-7 week lead time. They do have the Core in stock.
https://www.thomannmusic.com/work_lightshark_ls_core.htm?ref=prod_variations_326842_2
Since it is browser based it can be controlled with older Ipads if they have Safari.  Some also considered using a touchscreen chromebook.

Blizzard replaced it with the Enigma, a huge step up.  However the Enigma did not have focus pallets so was very limited for live busking.  However it looks like the real deal for install at the price point you mentioned.  I am a blizzard dealer if you would like a quote, we are in Cleveland and Blizzard is in Wisconsin.  If you are west coast look to Mike Pyle.  Texas is in the middle so pick you poison.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

duane massey

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2021, 09:57:30 PM »

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I think that I may be part of my problem. I have used SD 1 and SD 2 for years, and really have little or no experience with PC-based systems, and not certain how long I will still be doing this (just turned 70, and I rarely do installs anymore), learning to program on an unfamiliar platform is going to be a bit of an undertaking. Most of the terminology is unfamiliar, and not really sure it's worth the time and effort if i only do it once or twice.
Ah, to be younger again.....
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2021, 09:57:30 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.